Background template

Monday, March 20, 2017

Springtime in Texas

There are two sure signs that it's springtime in Texas:
1. The bluebonnets are out (at least in our neck of the woods).
2. It's rodeo season!

Thanks to some rain-free weather, we took advantage of both this weekend, as I'm sure all of you already saw on one or more social media outlets. And with that being the case, I'll keep the recaps brief:

First up, the rodeo:

For those of you not from around here, the Houston Rodeo is a big deal as far as rodeos go. We went two years ago with the twins, but they weren't quite old enough to appreciate it. When we were offered free tickets this year, we decided to give it a chance and I'm glad we did! It was crowded, a little hot, and entailed way more walking than two almost-4-year-olds should be subjected to, but for the most part, everyone behaved (myself included) and we had a good time.

Yes, we paid FORTY DOLLARS to ride on the ferris wheel, which is absurd. But it was enclosed, which made the twins a little less nervous, and air conditioned, which made me a little less sweaty, so it wasn't a total rip-off. 

The twins channeled their inner Texans and rode (sat) on tractors, watched baby chicks hatch, checked out the cows/pigs/horses/etc., and even posed next to a barn door to appease their mama get snacks.

This was a highlight for me: getting to watch them on the pony rides! They were both smiling like this the whole time.

Once it was time for the actual show, we were all thankful for some air conditioning and time to rest our feet. We bought a giant bag of kettle corn to keep them still and they did pretty well for the first 1.5 hours or so. At one point, Clara coughed while drinking her water and then spewed it all over the poor people in front of us. I was dying of embarrassment and thought she was about to barf so she and I spent the next half hour getting some fresh air before Willie got started. Colby loved the actual show (says the bull rides were his favorite part), but thought most of it was too loud! We stayed for two of Willie's songs and then headed out for some dinner. 

Let's be honest: the best part of the rodeo is actually the food. Foods we consumed: nachos, corn dogs, fried Oreos, kettle corn, quesadillas, french fries, and ribs... I feel fat just typing it.

After 6 hours, we headed home and for the first time in many moons, the twins fell right to sleep once we put them in bed. Victory!

Next up was a visit to the bluebonnets, about which the twins were a little less excited! There's a patch of them near church, so we decided to stop by on the way home on Sunday since the kids would already be looking presentable.

Colby and Clara had their uncooperative moments, and they overreacted to every bug they saw (see picture below), but with everyone's help (the Olivers joined us), we were able to get some decent pictures, and for that, I am thankful!

My sweet boy

Love this blooper Allison caught because he makes this face a lot!

My lovely little lady, wearing my dress from when I was her age!

The winner!

The other winner!

I'm so glad Brian captured this gem of their reaction when a bee got too close for their liking. Needless to say, this marked the end of our picture-taking session :) 


Bluebonnet pictures over the years: 2014 - 2015 - 2016 - 2017

Yes, its' safe to say that Spring has officially sprung... around here, at least!

6 comments:

the blogivers said...

I'm glad the stars aligned for your rodeo trip - sounds like it was infinitely better than ours in 2015! And even though they look too old in yesterday's bluebonnet pics, it makes me feel better that they don't look TOO much older than they did last year.

Erika said...

Ahhh the rodeo sounds like SO much fun!! Especially the food, haha. Sounds like they are a great age to enjoy it! And the picture with the bee is the framer, in my opinion!

Emily said...

The HOuston rodeo reminds me a bit of our NY State Fair which is enormous but mostly good for the food. Although I believe you also have an infamous Texas State Fair so apparently you are double lucky (not fair!). Also $40 for a Ferris wheel? Incredible. I hate Ferris wheels because I hate heights so I opt out every time. Lastly, your blue bonnets pictures are incredible. If I ever visit Texas, I must do so during blue bonnet season and come home with a photo which I will inevitably Frame to an extreme size. :)

Emily said...

I realized I used "incredible" in both a negative and positive meaning in one paragraph and that bothers me. Ugh!

Brittnie said...

I can't believe y'all stayed for 6 hours! We only lasted 3! Haha.

LOVE the bluebonnet pics! The bee scare pic is the best!

Natasha said...

I love the bluebonnet pictures! Especially "the other winner" one although the bee one is also a "precious moment!" Ha!

We can tell it's spring here because one day it's +10C (50F) and the next day (like today - grrr), it's -10C (14F). Yay extremes. I wish we had lovely things like bluebonnets to signify spring instead.