Background template

Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Sail away, sail away, sail away

I'm back! I figured I'd kick 2017 off with a bang by not blogging for 3 weeks. Actually it was completely unintentional, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it a little bit. 

The primary excuse for my absence is that once January 1st rolled around, I knew it was time to get serious about planning our anniversary vacation this summer. We decided we wanted to go somewhere in the Caribbean because there are plenty of pretty beaches to choose from and we didn't want to go anywhere too far away so as to avoid having too much of our precious vacation time eaten up by traveling to/from the destination.

As I do with pretty much anything I'm planning, when I plan a trip, I like to do a lot of research. And by "do a lot of research," I mean gather any recommendations, obsess over every piece of information I can get my hands on, and generally allow it to consume my every thought. I am not kidding when I said that every free waking hour over the past couple of weeks was spent thinking about/talking about/reading about this trip. 

(As a side note, whenever I was researching a particular place, I would stalk facebook to see if any of my friends had been there before. I reached out to a lot of random people asking for their input and everyone was so gracious and detailed with what they provided!) 

I had to take this screenshot when I was looking up info on my phone the other day because it totally captures mom life: at the top is a travel article from Fodor's and the bottom is an ad for toddler underwear!


ANYWAY, we FINALLY landed on a destination this past weekend, praise the Lord. We're going to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic and staying at a resort that is hopefully as amazing as it looks!

Image result for iberostar grand bavaro

No agenda. No obligations. And no children (... though I will miss mine terribly as this will be the longest we've ever been away from them... sniff sniff).

Anyway, I'm going to try and take a break from thinking about it for a while, though it will be hard not to daydream when I'm stuck at work or attempting negotiations with two three-year-olds (dangerously close to becoming four-year-olds).

Other than vacation planning, we've gotten back in our usual routine of work/school during the week and birthday parties/church on the weekends. Though I miss the holidays, it has been nice to get back into our groove.

Though not for a happy occasion (my grandfather's funeral), it was fun to get the great grandkids together with my grandmother!

Partying like the princesses that they are

Bouncing with friends

Buying rain boots for the twins (which proved quite useful last week)

Enjoying the sporadic pretty weather

Hunkering down in the not-so-pretty weather

And with that, my friends, I semi-promise to return more regularly with frivolous details about my first world problems and life as a working mom, so stay tuned!

6 comments:

the blogivers said...

I forgot you existed! Glad this post helped me remember.

Erika said...

Oooohhhh nice choice of destination and resort!! We're trying to plan a tenth anniversary trip, too, but since the thought of leaving Millie for even one night makes me break out in hives...we are researching trips that are also toddler friendly, hahahaha. (I mean, seriously, she is 2.5 and we had our first post-Millie date night LAST MONTH. For like 3 hours. And it felt like a huge accomplishment, but not something I necessarily want to do again anytime soon...so I REALLY DON'T THINK I could leave the state without her, haha.) ANYWAY- back in my traveling days, though, I was dying to go to Punta Cana because the Real Housewives of NJ went there and it looked fabulous!!! So I mean, with a recommendation like THAT, how could you be going wrong here??!

Natasha said...

That is super-exciting!!! Whoo hooo!!!! How long until you leave? I hope you have the best time.

And welcome back to blogging :) As you can tell I haven't gotten there yet. Boo.

Brittany said...

It's so fun to have a vacation to look forward to! It sounds like it will be the perfect getaway!! So excited for you! Chris and I have been trying to figure out when we can take a belated 10 year anniversary trip, but it looks like it may end up being an 11 or 12 year anniversary trip instead. :)

Brittnie said...

Yay!! We are headed to Waco for our ten year in a few weeks so . . . basically the same vacation! Or not. (But really, I don't care because it's the first overnight sans both children in well over a year. So basically I told B JUST GET ME AWAY FROM MY HOUSE.)

Emily said...

I noticed your blogging hiatus but then when you do post, it takes me over 24 hours to finally sit and read. #badfollower The resort looks gorgeous and I totally LOL over ads because they are so spot on it's creepy. I hope you do return to blogging regularly because I love hearing about first world problems!