Background template

Monday, November 7, 2016

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

... except truthfully, it was mostly just the worst of times. The twins' first soccer season wrapped up this weekend and I would be lying if I said any of us were sad about it.

Before the season started a couple of months ago, I had grand visions of joyfully watching my children running around the soccer field together, perhaps occasionally stopping to chase butterflies, but at the very least happily participating in the game together. In reality, Colby semi-willingly participated in most of the games whereas Clara willingly participated in approximately 1.5 games and spent the rest of the time whining and protesting on the sidelines.



I regret to admit that the only thing worse than her complete unwillingness to play was how I behaved in response. I vowed each week that I would let it go and just let her do her thing, and every week I ended up with high blood pressure and having said a number of words that I wished I could unsay.

When you're a type A control freak, you spend a lot of time worrying about what other people think of you as a result of your actions. When you're a type A control freak parent, you have the added bonus of spending a lot of time worrying about what other people will think of you as a result of your children's actions, because of course, they are an extension of you. So yes, I think it's safe to say this was a challenging 8 weeks for me in particular.

With that said, I hope that by the grace of God and because children are a lot more forgiving than adults, the twins will at least have some fond memories of their first sports season... and that eventually all of us will have recovered from this less-than-ideal experience enough to give another sport (or maybe even soccer) another try.

In the meantime, at least we can be thankful to have so many cute pictures so that in 20 years, we can look back on them and hopefully forget the stress that accompanied them ;)


(Pardon the negativity of this post... just keeping it real for my fellow strong-willed moms with equally strong-willed children!)

6 comments:

the blogivers said...

Congrats on having this behind you AND having your Saturday mornings back! I'm confident one day they will each find an activity they are willing to participate in and you will be able to laugh at this super fun soccer season!

Allena said...

We've never done a team sport for precisely these reasons, ha. Trent (for the first time ever) has expressed interest in soccer, so I think we're going to try that next year, and I think Drew would do it/have fun, but my expectations would be LOW. Glad you survived! And I feel the same way about kids being forgiving after I've yelled EVERY SINGLE NIGHT at bedtime and swear I won't again...until the next night! Ha!

Brittnie said...

Way to go for sticking it out! You survived!!

Emily said...

We need a group like AA, except it's for Type A Control Freak Patents, because here here! I've done two sports-related programs with Aaron and ughhhh, I feel you. And then I also wonder if I'm acting according to how parents are supposed to act. Messed up? Probably. I'm sure my kids will need therapy because of me.

Emily said...

*parents, not patent. Although if I could patent being a control freak, I would

Brittany said...

They sure are cute!! :)