Background template

Monday, October 3, 2016

Soccer, pumpkins, and lowering expectations

Soooo does anyone else struggle with setting unrealistic expectations and holding yourselves and everyone around you to unrealistic standards? And then losing your ever-loving mind when you and everyone around you fail to meet said unrealistic standards? I know there is a fairly simple solution to this problem (recognize that no one is perfect and let more things go); however, that is a solution that I have yet to embrace.

And in fact, in this past year, where it feels like there have been an exceptional number of circumstances vastly beyond my control, it seems that the further away from perfect life becomes, the more stubborn I become about insisting that everything be, well, perfect. As a result, I spend an absurd amount of time being disappointed with myself and others. And everyone around me (particularly my family) spends an absurd amount of time being on the receiving end of my disappointment, which I can assure you is not fun.

So why, you ask, does this have anything to do with the following blog post about soccer games and pumpkin patches, etc.? Because, my dear friends, nothing screams, "YOUR STANDARDS ARE TOO HIGH AND YOU NEED TO CHILL OUT!" like attempting to get two 3-year-olds to cooperate.

To make a long story short, week 3 of soccer did not go as well as week 2. In fact, it went a lot like week 1. Clara was in a bad mood the minute we got to the field and that continued for the duration of the game, wherein she did not play and instead cried, whined, and refused to participate. Is this that big of a deal? No, I realize logically that it's not. But logic doesn't always apply when you are a type A mom.

It's my soccer game and I'll cry if I want to...

Yep, standing in the middle of the field crying while the game is going on. God bless the coaches.

Eventually Colby, who had actually been happily playing for a while, decided to protest the game in solidarity with his sister. You can imagine how excited we were about that development.

After we got home and all 4 of us had some time to wind down (read: eat... aka: our therapy of choice), we decided to continue our quest in futile behavior by taking the kids to Froberg's Farm with the Olivers to take pumpkin patch pictures. We went last year and we were sad to see that the set-up this year left a little to be desired (including no actual pumpkin photo opps!). The twins didn't seem to mind, though, and if nothing else, we got some tasty kettle corn out of the deal, so let's pretend that was worth the $20 we paid while there and 30+ minute drive each way to get there/back.

As Allison pointed out, don't they look like giants here?

Best we could get!

Bean bag tossing


Duck racing

Picture hating ;)

She was SO excited about this glittery pink ballerina tattoo- 36 hours later, it's still hanging in there!

We spent the evening grilling out and watching the Aggies win with the Olivers, after which I collapsed in exhaustion and spent a blissful 9.5 hours sleeping. Being a disgruntled perfectionist is tiring work, y'all.

Sunday was fairly low-key, and although I did bust out the camera (yes, again) to take pictures of the twins with the pumpkins they picked out at the store, I tried to keep my expectations low. By the grace of God, the twins were relatively cooperative (cheesy smiles notwithstanding):




So with that, our weekend was complete. If any of you are like me, then you know that the upcoming holiday season can be a source of major anxiety as expectations are at all time high. And in case you're needing this reminder I'll be clinging to, I thought I'd share:

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9

4 comments:

the blogivers said...

"... for my power is made perfect in the weakness that is brought on by being the mother of two 3-year-olds." I think it actually says that in the Bible somewhere. Anyway, sorry there was so much frustration this weekend... I wish I had magical powers to take away from both of us the constant setting of unrealistic expectations!

Allena said...

That's partially why neither of our kids have played organized sports, ha. Not worth it! I tend to put too much pressure on us to 'do stuff' as a family whereas my husband is not real big into activities. So I will have to FORCE him to do something holiday-related, the kids won't cooperate, and I'll end up being the B, good times for all! I have been trying to get him to use gift certificates we have for bowling and burgers for MONTHS...and no go at this point!

Brittany said...

The picture of Clara crying in the middle of the field is rehearsal dinner slideshow material! That's what I would be doing if I was plopped in the middle of a soccer field too. ;) The porch pumpkin pictures are adorable!

Emily said...

Disgruntled perfectionist is tiring work. I love this statement. Hey, at least you can recognize your faults. I always say that's the first step. Even though half the time I don't take the second step to actually do anything about them, at least they are accurately acknowledged!!