Background template

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Asking for a friend

Um, have any of the rest of you repeatedly caught hand, foot, and mouth disease as adults? As in, 3 times in a 4-year period? As in, 2 times in the past 5 months? As in, more often than your small children that apparently carry the virus regularly but miraculously do not actually show symptoms of it? I'm just asking for a friend (... that also developed shingles as a 32-year-old).

My friend feels like this is incredibly relatable.

Has anyone else already ordered their Christmas cards? I mean, probably not, because it's way too early and who would be that neurotic, right? Well I have a friend that's that way (it's so obnoxious) and she told me that there's an amazing deal on 5x7 cardstock cards from Snapfish at the moment (75% off + free shipping!!), so if you like to plan ahead you're crazy like her, you should check it out.


Do any of you have book recommendations for people that are attempting to recover from perfectionism? Preferably something that's applicable and not just full of cheesy self-help fluff? Bonus points for being a Christian book, but not a requirement. Again, just asking for a friend, obviously.



And in the meantime, you can find me gargling salt water, updating my Christmas card mailing list, and perusing book reviews on Amazon... you know, to help my friend.

8 comments:

the blogivers said...

You are such a good friend to write a blog post for your friend and do all those other things for your friend! Let me know if you find that perfect book for recovering from perfectionism because I also have a friend who could use it...

Emily said...

Bahahahaha. I like this friend! So sorry she has hand foot mouth again; I had a clogged milk duct all day Monday so basically the same thing (no, not really). Also I'm VERY excited for the Christmas card tip since we got our photos done at the beach in September so I actually could do them early this year!!!

Nelson Bartley said...

Never had hand and foot mouth but managed to get Fifths disease before I ever had children-twice-and then three times while I had children, I can sympathize. Especially since it is one of those diseases you are supposed to become immune to after having had it one time. Tell your friend to feel better.

Katy said...

I've never had HFM, but I have had 4 ear infections in the last year. My next stop is an ENT and possible tubes. TUBES. Like, the kind you put in your two year old because their little ears are still too small. What is up with that?!

And I've been eyeing that Snapfish deal, but I doubt I can get a decent family picture in time to order them. I'm going to try hard though....that's a great deal!

Hope your friend feels better soon! ;)

Allena said...

I would normally be ALL over that Christmas card deal but with a baby due in December, I think I'll just be doing a baby announcement this year as our holiday card - when our daughter was born in January I did 2 cards and that is just too expensive - so this year I'll double up, ha.

Good luck finding help for your 'friend'. I wish I were a smidge more of a perfectionist because my house is always messy and I always feel like a failure as a good homemaker (even though I have a job too ha) because I can't ever seem to get my act together!

Natasha said...

I'm sorry your friend is "lucky" enough to get HFM so many times. I hope she feels better soon. We are (hopefully) getting our family photos taken in a couple of weeks otherwise you know I have a... friend... who would totally snap up that deal.

And I haven't read it but I really like the Proverbs 31 authors and this book might help your friend out. As I said, with the disclaimer that I haven't read it. http://www.p31bookstore.com/products/breaking-up-with-perfect

Brittany said...

I'm sorry your friend has HFM again, but I always look forward to receiving her Christmas card the day after Thanksgiving and am glad to see that the HFM is not keeping her from staying on top of things this year! :) Also, you should check out Unglued by Lysa Terkhurst. It might be what you're looking for!

Brittnie said...


Present Over Perfect by Shauna Neinquist (sp?)
Grace Not Perfection by Emily Ley
Unglued by Lysa TerKeurst

I wouldn't know all of these book recomendations because I needed to read them, obviously. A friend told me they were worth checking out. :)