Background template

Thursday, September 8, 2016

Working mom fantasies

I fully recognize that there are a lot of perks to being a working mom (adult interaction, extra income, plenty of socialization for my kids, etc.). With that said, I think any working mom would be lying if she said there weren't aspects of SAHM life that didn't seem appealing. And in the spirit of that, I wanted to share a few of the things I "fantasize" about as a working mom:

1. Getting to watch "The Today Show" (... or at least have it on in the background for some portion of my morning).
This is sad, I know. I have come to know and love the morning news team at Channel 2, but I would really love to eat my breakfast with Matt, Savannah, Al, and the gang before the twins wake up. I think this mostly stems from the fact that my mom always had it on in the mornings and I therefore associate it with being a "free" adult.

2. Not having to pack the twins' breakfast. Or my lunch. Or my snacks.
I cannot tell you how much joy it brings me on Saturday and Sunday when I can mindlessly pop waffles in the toaster for the twins and not worry about things like keeping them warm for the drive to school. And although I exert a lot more self-control when I don't have an entire pantry and fridge at my disposal, there are a lot more options that I would consider throwing into my regular eating rotation if I wasn't limited to what fits in my lunchbox and requires little to no assembly.

3. Not having to prepare dinner like I'm participating in a NASCAR tire change.
I would say the most stressful 15 minutes of my day, every day, occur as soon as we pull into the garage in the evenings, because thus begins the race against the clock to get dinner on the table as quickly as humanly possible... while simultaneously feeding the dogs, unpacking and putting away all of the things, fetching the mail, changing clothes, etc. This is why we make meals in advance and reheat them each night, because there's no way the 4 of us could sanely wait the amount of time it takes to prepare a new meal each night.

(And yes, I realize meal prep would be stressful even if I stayed at home! But at least I would have the option of starting it prior to 6 pm and not feel like I have to do 800 other post-getting-home activities at the same time :)

4. Going to Target on a weekday. Heck, running pretty much any errand on a weekday.
Smaller crowds, shorter lines to check out, and more importantly, a better selection of cookie samples. Ditto to the non-Target options, minus the cookie samples.

5. And relatedly, taking the kids places on a weekday.
I have mentioned this before, but there are a lot of places that I'd be more willing to take the kids on a weekday where we didn't have to battle the crowds (museums, parks, playscapes, etc.). Extreme extrovert though I am, crowded places give me the hives, so I really do avoid a lot of these places on the weekends.

6. Oh, right, and spending more time with my children :) 
Obviously this one was implied, so that's why I didn't list it first... let's go with that ;)



So how about you, fellow working moms, what kind of SAHM things do you daydream about? And SAHMs, feel free to share what makes you jealous of working moms!

11 comments:

the blogivers said...

You forgot being able to get chores done during the day and not just on evenings/weekends! As for what makes me jealous of working moms, you already named it - adult interaction is at the top of my list.

Brittnie said...

Truth from this SAHM - can't remember the last time I got to turn the TODAY show on in the background. :( I mean I could force it, but . . . much easier to get kids ready for the day, get dressed etc when their shows are on and they are captivated. Boo!!!

What makes me jealous of working moms. . . adult interaction, recognition for a job well done when tasks are completed or a task is done especially well, and getting to pee by myself (Not even kidding. Camille MUST ALWAYS follow me in and shut the door behind her. Good. Gracious.)

stephnachia said...

You hit the nail on the head for me - all of those things I'm jealous of SAHMs.

I do enjoy the adult interaction, excel spreadsheets, and dressing up though. (Oh yeah, and the income). But I'd be willing to sacrifice. 😆

DanaG in Texas said...

You totally nailed it. Especially the dinner rush. I was lucky enough to be able to work part-time the first year and I truly do miss those daytime Target and HEB trips.

Kate said...

As I anxiously await my return to work tomorrow night, I wish I could be a SAHM. But being a nurse that works 12 hour days I'm grateful that I can work Fri-Sun night and then be home during the week with her.

Natasha said...

I'm so glad I've gotten to experiences the highs (and lows) of both and have now settled on the "perfect option" -- part-time job!

The perks of being a SAHM are more time with the kids and having a less insane schedule.

The perks of being a WOHM are getting to pee by myself (cannot be overstated!), the extra income, and built in adult interactions.

I'll be able to let you know in a year what the perks of being able to combine both are :)

Emily said...

Love this. I think #2 and #3 are among my top favorite things of turning Working Mom to SAHM. Additionally, picking up the house during the daytime nap versus evening hours (Wow, I'm really dreaming big here huh?).

Emily said...

(Comment part 2, because I pressed publish too quickly). If I were to pick the things I miss most about working it would include: Wearing heels daily and easy access to vending machines. Again, dreaming big here.

Emily said...

(Comment part 3 because I'm just obnoxious like this.) And I miss the income of course. I miss that the most of all. But I try not to think about that part!

Erika said...

You definitely covered most of the biggies. I think having to run errands and clean on nights/weekends are the most irritating parts of it for me. Oh and the post-work, pre-dinner madhouse. BUT there are some great things about working...such as money to to pay other people to clean for me, and to go out to eat when I don't feel like dealing with the madhouse. :) Also, I don't feel so bad skipping out on doing "fun" learning activities I don't enjoy (like doing puzzles and most messy art projects) because I pay her teachers good money to do that stuff for me, haha.

Allena said...

This is such a great list! I think I have a pretty sweet gig now too (after being a working mom for 7+ years) - I still work for the same company I always have (13 years now - geez!) but I now work 100% from home. I am able to take the kids to school, pick them up (at 3:00!), work a little more when we get home and do all those things 'boring' house jobs during the day - prep dinner - sure, let's do that on this boring conference call, need to run a quick trip to the grocery store - sure, do that during lunch, fold some clothes - another boring conference call. Plus I can wear yoga pants and tee shirts (or right now maternity leggings, ha) and not have to put on make-up. I think this is the best possible set-up short of a part-time job where I got a little more time with the kids!