Background template

Monday, September 26, 2016

Comeback kid

Friends, your prayers were heard (kidding) (but not really kidding) and soccer went a million times better this weekend... in fact, the whole weekend went a million times better, so praise God for that. And I realize it doesn't get much more stereotypical of a mommy blogger than to devote an entire post to one of her children's sporting events, but being stereotypical hasn't stopped me in the past 3 years so why would it now? :) 



So yeah, not sure if it was the fact that Clara was joining him or if he just got out of whatever funk he was in last weekend, but Colby was in good spirits when game time rolled around. And when it was time to go out onto the field and practice, he trotted right out there as if he had been happily and willingly participating in the sport for his entire life. Go figure.

Having some of their besties from school on the team doesn't hurt!

In fact, he wasn't one of the starters but when the whistle blew, he still ran out onto the field to join his friends and we had to explain to him that he had to wait his turn. So apparently last week we couldn't get him to go on the field, and this week, we couldn't get him to stay off!


Anyway, they both looked like they were having a good time and seemed to understand the basic concept of running after the ball and kicking it, so I think we'll call it a win. Clara lost interest after about 10 minutes and decided she'd prefer to sit on the sidelines and get a head start on post-game snacks, but considering it was still hotter than the surface of the sun outside, I can't really blame her. I asked her later in the day which one she liked better so far - soccer or dance - and she answered "dance" with no hesitation. We'll see if that trend continues once the weather improves!


Colby did score a goal for the other team at one point, but he was SO darn proud of himself and I will never forget the smile he had on his face when he came running over to us afterward. So of course we high fived him and congratulated him for a job well done :) 


I had signed up to bring snacks, so after the three-ring circus game was over, I distributed the goods to all the players. After we got home, Colby accusatorially asked me, "Mommy, why did you give my snacks away to all of those strangers?" I love that he thought I brought 10 bags of Pirate's Booty, 10 oranges, and 10 water bottles all for him and Clara, ha!

Hopefully the rest of the season will continue to go well (although preferably about 20 degrees cooler). And just for (completely unrelated) funsies, I've thrown in a picture I took on Sunday morning before we left for church:

I'm not sure where they picked this up, but the twins like to lay blankets down on the floor and call it a "birthday party." This particular party apparently got really wild and crazy because the blocks were invited along with several of their action figures. They insisted that I leave it out so they could continue the party when we got back from church... you other type A moms will understand how much self-restraint it took for me to comply with this request. 

Have a great week, everyone!

4 comments:

the blogivers said...

Way to salvage your mom's weekend (and hopes and dreams), Colby! And I'll offer my assistance to Clara over the years if she continues to be wise and choose dance over soccer.

Brittnie said...

Glad the weekend was better on many levels! They look so stinking cute in their uniforms!

Emily said...

Aw now I'm all excited for soccer!

Brittany said...

Such cute little soccer players!!