Background template

Monday, February 1, 2016

Quick escape

Allison and I left the husbands and children at home this weekend and took a road trip to Dallas to hang out with our mom (and briefly, our dad, when he wasn't on an airplane or babysitting our niece/nephews). It wasn't any kind of fancy girls' weekend, but it was just as magical as I imagined, and here's why:

- In two nights, I logged 18 hours of sleep.

- We ate out for more meals than I care to admit to, and at no point did I have to remind anyone to sit on his/her bottom, nor did we have to worry about the speed of service, availability of crayons/colorable kids' menus, or the proximity of our table to the restrooms in the event of potty emergencies.

Yes, this meal from La Duni tasted as delicious as it looks

- I ate a lot of salads. I realize I can do this any time, but generally when we go out with the kids, we try to get a few meals to split amongst ourselves, and typically salad does not meet the criteria.

- We also ate a lot of Mexican food... you know, to balance out any potential health benefits from the point mentioned above.

- We got to meet our cousin's 1.5-week-old baby and spend some time visiting with our grandmother.

- We randomly ran into my best friend from 1st grade at Starbucks, whom I don't think I have seen in at least 20+ years! (And in case you're wondering, I'm such a stalker that when I saw her and thought I recognized her, I shoved Allison closer to the checkout counter so that she could overhear the name the girl provided to the barista, which, of course, confirmed my suspicion!)

- We spent a lot of time shopping, and a lot of time in general at the mecca of a mall we grew up hanging out in. And again, we didn't have to coordinate our activities around nap time or worry about hurrying home to relieve the husbands from parenting duties.


It was a great little getaway and of course, it was only made possible by my saint of a husband that was willing to wrangle the twins by himself all weekend. He even complied with my constant requests for FaceTiming and pictures without complaints:



The unfortunate news is that my relaxation from the weekend will be short-lived, as the bathroom remodel (and all the chaos and mess that comes with it) starts today! I'm trying to remind myself that it's only temporary and will be worth it in the end... I may need all of you to also remind me of that when I start having mental breakdowns about all 4 of us sharing a bathroom and not having full access to my closet! :)

8 comments:

the blogivers said...

Yay for a fun weekend to keep you distracted from stress about the impending remodel! It will be great and like you said, the end result will totes be worth it!

Erika said...

Oh wow, yall didn't waste any time getting that bathroom job started! Good for you!! Your weekend away does sound pretty awesome, and I appreciate that delicious food picture...YUM!

Jacqueline Mayse said...

If it makes you feel better, I live in a 90 year old house which means we have two bathrooms in the house. One bathroom is upstairs and the other bathroom is in our unfinished basement. I'm sure the bathroom remodel will be great when it's finished!

Brittnie said...

The chaos from a remodel will be so worth it!! Our house was a wreck when they installed the hardwoods, but again. . . totally worth the crazy. Please remind me of this when we list our house and I am trying to pack and keep a house clean with toddlers. Mmmmkay? Glad you had a nice weekend away!!

Brenda said...

That food looks SO good! Glad you had a fun girls weekend! We always had a blast in Dallas. Hang in there for the bathroom remodel. It will all be worth it!

Emily said...

Weekends away are so clutch, even if nothing super special is planned. the FREEDOM is amazing. I'm so jealous!

Brittany said...

So glad you had such a fun weekend away! I can't wait to see the bathroom progress!

Natasha said...

Does it make you feel any better to know that we have always shared one bathroom among our family of four?! Yes, it's as fun as it sounds. Ha!

And now I need to start planning a weekend for just me to spend with my parents. That sounds heavenly!!!