Background template

Thursday, December 10, 2015

What made my day special (Week 25)

Phew. It has been A Week. In the interest of continuing my habit of over-sharing with the internet, let me start by saying that I was diagnosed on Monday with shingles. You know, the viral infection most common in people over the age of FIFTY?! Apparently I have a knack for developing medical conditions not common to my age range (remember when I caught Hand, Foot, and Mouth disease - a condition most commonly found in people under the age of FIVE - a few years ago?).

So that none of you will hide in fear next time you see me, here are a few basic details:

- Anyone that has ever had chicken pox has the shingles virus inside their body forever. It lies dormant in your body but can "wake up" if your immune system is weakened.
- You can't catch shingles from someone else who has it. If you've never had chicken pox (or the vaccine) and you were to touch the blisters, then you could develop chicken pox. So basically, I am not going to be asking to hold your newborn babies (while I'm topless or otherwise) any time in the near future, but the rest of you should be safe.
- It is unpleasant. The main symptoms for me are the blisters/rash around my rib cage/back and (the worst part) muscle pain in my back that will not go away. The back pain has made it impossible for me to sleep, so that has really been the most frustrating part so far.

So with all that in mind, my current condition has been making every day this week "special" in the sarcastic sense. But since there's always a silver lining, here are a few things that my day actually special yesterday:

1. Free lunch at work
The building I work in catered lunch from The Black-eyed Pea and even though it wasn't particularly tasty, I'm always thankful for a meal I don't have to buy or prepare! I don't have a picture, so you'll just have to take my word that this happened.

2. Candy Cane grams
As a fundraiser for the MS150, my company did Candy Cane grams (remember when they did this on Mean Girls?). After a busy morning of meetings, it was fun to come back to these on my desk:


3. These two (and their daddy, of course):





And while we're on the topic, what's going to make TODAY special is that I get to get out of the office to attend an off-site training seminar and tonight I'm going to happy hour with a couple of friends. 

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to find my dentures and get the tires checked on my wheelchair. Stay healthy, my friends!

7 comments:

the blogivers said...

Poor Twingles :( glad you had some bright spots in your otherwise weird week!

Emily said...

Ick, shingles sound terrible. Adam had them at one point in highschool but never got them again. Weird? I had whopping cough in college which is supposed to be EXTINCT thanks to the vaccine (which I had!) so now I don't believe anything about modern medicine. :)

But to focus on the good parts... free lunch is always a plus. Even leftover free lunch is a plus for me. I have, on occasion, been that person who packed up sandwiches after a meeting was concluded, so I could take them home for dinner and not cook. I'm not as ashamed as I should be. :)

Erika said...

Oh man!! One of my good friends/coworkers had shingles a few years ago. It SUCKED and was also hilarious to laugh about, since she was about 26 at the time. I hope you feel better soon! Are there any medicines that can help? Also, unrelated, but I noticed that you guys have a KidKraft kitchen in these pictures. :) We got Millie one (not the vintage one, we went with Uptown, but pretty similar) and it's currently sitting in a HUMONGOUS box in a closet. I've heard they're a beast to assemble, but I really need to know like HOW long do we need to plan on working on this task? 3 hours? 20? Help a sister out, and recall that I haaaaaaate putting stuff together. Should I outsource this? Is that even a thing? Thanks!

Nelson Bartley said...

After the blisters heal, Larry used Zostrix cream OTC to help with the unending nerve pain. (Cheerfully he was told that can last 6 months to FOREVER.)
And maybe the wrong age diseases are genetic. I've had Fifths disease three times as an adult even though I had measles as a kid. One of those things you supposedly never get again. One time I was in my twenties and couldn't even recall being around ANY kids. Twice when I had kids. Maybe three times now that I think about it. And I'm pretty sure I had it as a child also. So maybe I've had Fifths Five times?

Brittnie said...

So sorry about the shingles!! That is so awful! Good thing there will be lots of chips and queso this evening to help you forget about the pain!

Natasha said...

I'm so sorry about the shingles. Another blog friend had them a few weeks ago so maybe they're spreading through the blogosphere??? I'm glad you have happy hour tonight to cheer you up. Maybe if you have enough margaritas you will be able to sleep despite the back pain?!

Brittany said...

Oh no! Shingles?! That sounds miserable! I hope you feel better soon!