Background template

Monday, December 21, 2015

Merry, bright, and all that other stuff

We have been on Christmas overload and although I know you would love to see and read more about my shingles, I'm going to spare you and instead recap some (ok, all) of the seasonal fun* we've been having around here.

(*However, for the sake of actual transparency, allow me to share this disclaimer: the last couple of weeks have left me very overwhelmed and feeling less than festive at many points. The low point was on Saturday night when I told Brian to pause the Christmas movie we were watching "because I need[ed] to cry for a minute." I do want to preserve the memories of the fun times we've been having, but I also want to make sure I'm not glossing over the frustrating parts and pretending our life is effortlessly full of joy... so there you go!)

Let's go chronologically (because I'm type A like that):

Christmas caroling program at daycare
Highlights: The twins spent the entirety of their class's song turned around facing the wall and Colby refused to wear the Christmas tree.




Christmas day date
Highlights: No children, no work. Enough said :)


6th annual cookie exchange
Highlights: It was at my house this year, so of course I behaved like this beforehand. Nonetheless, a good time was had by all and many, many calories were consumed.

Katie, Kristen, me

ONE of the tables of cookies... can you taste the adult-onset diabetes?

Family Christmas party at my grandparents' nursing home
Highlights: Chaos (in keeping with the theme of the season), food, and the twins keeping a safe distance from Santa, lest he abduct them forever. We didn't get to visit much with my grandparents (lots of noise and two squirmy toddlers), but we're still glad we were able to make it!





Build-a-bear
Highlights: This is the "something they want" portion of the twins' gifts from Santa, so we ventured out to the mall on Saturday morning to get them. Again, chaos! But they had fun picking out their bears (plain bear with a Boba Fett costume for Colby and an Elsa bear with winter attire for Clara), and have been carrying them around with them ever since!


 Standard expressions these days



Double date with the Olivers
Highlights: Fajitas, margaritas, and a seriously stupid but also seriously amusing movie... all without our 4 littlest sidekicks in tow! No picture, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

Small group white elephant gift exchange
Highlights: Someone gifting Christmas beer and then said beer being consumed... in the church... at 11 am... on a Sunday morning. We ended up with batteries (useful), Star Wars legos (fun), and chocolate truffles (tasty), so we definitely came out ahead.



Miscellaneous festiveness
Highlights: (1) Pedicure for Clara (which later resulted in a bottle of green nail polish being spilled on the tile/carpet), (2) telling the twins they have to hold hands when they look for their elf-on-the-shelf every morning, (3) holiday-themed pancake shapes




Phew. Makes you tired just reading about it, am I right?!

8 comments:

the blogivers said...

Tis the season to be busy, fa la la la la, la la la la... glad we can join in on lots of the busyness with you!

Brittnie said...

I love that y'all opened the beer and then consumed it at church! Ha! (Well I know you didn't but other did!) Also loving Clara's festive toes!!

Brittnie said...

*the others

Erika said...

HAHAHAHA at the drinking beer before church thing!! Hilarious!! I'm glad yall have had so many fun things going on!!

Brandi said...

We started the Want/Need/Read thing last year and I am doing it again this year. I absolutely loved it last year. Is this your first year?

Emily said...

Too much to comment on!
1. The Christmas tree pageant - hilarious!
2. Santa abduction - lol lol lol.
3. THEY HAVE A BOBA FETT BUILD-A-BEAR? This blows my mind.
4. Beer at 11am at church? Can I come to your church?!?!
5. You and your holiday-shaped pancakes are WAY cooler of a mom than me!

Brittany said...

So many fun things, but I can't move on from how adorable the Christmas tree costumes are!!! Also, I love that they turned around. Ha! Their friend Reid did the same thing. :)

Natasha said...

I'm sorry you weren't feeling the holiday spirit on that Saturday night but I do appreciate the full disclosure of life isn't always merry.

The twins and their Christmas pageant - HA HA HA! Hopefully next year they will be like Rachel and yell "Mommy! Mommy! SAM!" from the stage.

I am definitely not showing Rachel the Elsa Build A Bear because she will WANT it and we will never hear the end of it. I love that the bears joined the twins for their meal.

Dave always makes the holiday themed pancakes at our house and these ones are awesome looking. Way to go!