Background template

Thursday, December 3, 2015

Goals for (the) next month (Week 24)

The prompt was to write about goals for next month, but I can't even begin to think about January so I'm going to cheat and write about my goals for this month instead:

1. Survive.
I'm mostly joking, but with how packed our calendar already is, I think this is a legitimate goal. Maybe I should edit it to say, "Survive with my sanity in tact."

2. Practice generosity.
I saw this phrase on our church bulletin recently and I like the way it sounds better than just saying, "be generous." I appreciate that the word "practice" is included, because being generous isn't always an easy or natural thing to do.

In the midst of the social functions, gift purchasing, and attempts to make the most of the holiday season, I want to make sure that I'm not making this time of year all about me (or even all about my family), but rather, that I'm thinking of others more and being generous with my resources and my time.

3. Do All The Christmas Things without stressing out about doing All The Christmas Things.
Keeping #1 and #2 in mind, I do want to help make this a special/memorable time of year for the twins (and Brian and myself, too), but I am hoping not to put too much pressure on myself to squeeze in too much or to do it all perfectly.

A few relatively-easy-to-accomplish items on the list: attend the Christmas Tree lighting in Sugar Land Town Square, visit Sugar Land Holiday Lights, drink excessive amounts of hot chocolate, watch "Elf" and "Love Actually" (without the kids), watch "Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer" (with the kids), and drive through Pecan Grove to see the decorations/lights.

4. Prepare for potty training.
The time has come, and we have a date on the calendar: New Year's weekend. We will both have 3 consecutive days off of work, so why not make our first resolution of the year be to rid our house of diapers?

The twins are definitely ready and just 2 days ago, Clara started asking if she could wear underwear. But also just 2 days ago, Colby and Clara both peed on the carpet right before getting into the bath. So it's safe to say we have our work cut out for us, and we'll be spending the rest of the month stocking up on rewards, drilling our friends and family for advice, and talking up the benefits of using the potty (both to convince the twins and ourselves that this is for the best).

So to summarize, please pray for us.

I should probably have simplified my list and gone with this instead:

5 comments:

the blogivers said...

#3 makes me laugh because the dentist asked me how you were doing a couple of days ago, and I said you were "staying busy working and trying to convince me to Do All The Christmas Things in your spare time!"

Brittnie said...

We have some of the same Christmas to do's on our list. I cannot wait to take the girls to Pecan Grove this year. I think Camille is going to go nuts, and Clara too!

Good luck with potty training!!! We are right behind you. Clara's lead therapist at school told me we most likely will start intensive potty training after the New Year. They start at school on a Friday (and we continue the protocol at home that weekend. The thought of this makes me want to crawl into a hole and never emerge. Insert all nervous character faces here. Clara's therapist said that most nonverbal/Autistic/etc kids CAN become potty trained, but the hardest part is they just can't tell you when they need to go (and so I guess learn to go on a schedule = whenever I sit her on the potty??) No clue. So yes, we can pray for each other lol.

Emily said...

I like this list! And I like the simplicity of it, which will make you chuckle when you see the monstrosity of a checklist that I'm publishing tomorrow morning. And most importantly, BEST OF LUCK in potty training. I may suck, but it will be well worth it in the end. :)

Brittany said...

I've read all of your recent posts, but am just now getting back into commenting, so I'll just stick with this post! :) My goals are basically exactly the same as yours! :) We haven't set an exact date for potty training, but I keep saying, "after Christmas".

Natasha said...

Aaaah! I forgot this prompt. Yerghks. I'd been thinking about it and I was going to make my goal for December to "survive" because this year has been hard enough without throwing Christmas and Chanukah into the mix.

I'd love to hear a re-cap as to if you accomplished all these goals.