Background template

Thursday, November 5, 2015

5 things I'm passionate about (Week 20)

This is tricky because if I'm being completely honest, as a working mom, I sometimes feel like I don't have the time or energy to be passionate about anything except, well... surviving. But in an effort to comply with the writing challenge make it seem like I have some depth and purpose, I've come up with 5 things I'm passionate about (and yes, I'm aware that I shouldn't end a sentence with a preposition). Fair warning, however: if you thought I was even remotely cool, this post will likely change your mind about that.

1. Sticking with commitments
If I were to pick a "life verse" for myself, it would most certainly be Colossians 3:23, which says, "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not men."

I have always been of the mindset that if a job is worth doing, it's worth doing well- even if it's a mundane and seemingly pointless task. I applied this attitude toward my school work and extracurricular commitments growing up, and now as an adult, I do my best to apply it not just to my job and outside activities, but to my relationships as well - my faith, my friendships, and of course, my marriage and my children. If I say I'm going to do something, I make every effort to do it.

I simply don't see quitting as an option, and as those who know me well can attest, I don't "allow" it to be an option for those I care about, either. This is why flakiness is an especially offensive character flaw to me... and why I have a tendency to not know when it's time to give up on something (or someone) and just let it go :)

2. Routines
I know- I am so boring. But I think there is so much to be said for having a routine, and even more so now that we have kids. Yes, I see the value in being spontaneous sometimes and not always being super rigid, but in general, I think the consistency and predictability of a routine is so comforting. So go ahead and laugh at my hair and breakfast schedule- I'm ok with that because I heart knowing (generally) what each day will hold.

3. Maintaining a (relatively) active lifestyle
I think there are a lot of benefits to being active. I'm not talking about being a CrossFit junkie (although more power to you if that's your thing); I just mean that I think it's really important to stay moving and not to be a sloth. (And as you're well aware, having a FitBit has only further solidified this addiction passion in me.)

Relatedly, I am also a huge proponent of staying hydrated and drinking as much H2O as possible. Again, I know what you're thinking, and yes, life with me truly is a thrill a minute.

4. Grammar
I don't know when this started, but I do know that in 8th grade, we learned about diagramming sentences, and once we learned how to do it, one of my friends and I started diagramming sentences on our own... outside of class... for fun. I also know that when my mom told us to, "Sleep good!" growing up, I always corrected her. And I also know that I did the same when my high school soccer coach told us we "played good." As you can imagine, being in charge of me was no easy task for either of them!

But seriously, especially when it comes to writing, if you want people to take you seriously, you have to have a good grip on the English language and how it's intended to be used. I know my grammar isn't always perfect, but I understand the basic concepts and do my best to come across as educated (without sounding like a stuffy English professor).

5. Being festive
I feel like this is stupid, but it's true. I really like celebrating holidays and getting "in the spirit," even for the less popular ones. I will always ensure that my entire family wears green on St. Patrick's Day. Same goes for red, white, and blue on the 4th of July. I will always make pumpkin-flavored food when October rolls around. And so committed am I to ensuring that we celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas to the absolute fullest that I am certain it will put me (and my family members) into therapy at some point.

I've said before that there are two types of people in this world: those that got colored bands on their braces to coordinate with the upcoming holiday, and those that stuck with the boring gray bands year-round. Clearly, I fell into the first camp and will enthusiastically encourage Colby and Clara to do the same.

See? This is me at work on St. Patrick's Day in 2012. I can't help myself.


Alright, so now that I've unleashed my major life passions to the world, it's your turn: what gets you fired up?

7 comments:

the blogivers said...

Obviously I am right there with you on 1-5, but on #5, THANKS FOR CALLING MY BRACES BORING.

Brittany Gaspard said...

I think you and Heather make pumpkin flavored foods year round just to challenge me!

Erika said...

I ALWAYS GOT FESTIVE BANDS ON MY BRACES!!! This just proves that I am your twin and Allison is not.

Emily said...

I WANT to be that fun festive person who celebrates mundane holidays but I am (a) lazy and (b) forgetful. However, the one season I always get behind is "end of the year holidays." Thanksgiving-New Year's Day is hands down my favorite time of the year ever.

And props to water consumption! I am also a H2O-aholic! If I'm not drinking 70-90 oz of water a day, I feel so dehydrated.

Brittany said...

I've always admired and appreciated these things about you! I feel the same way about flakiness and grammar was one of my very favorite things to teach when I was teaching. I loved it!

Brittnie said...

I fall in the boring braces camp. I always WANTED to go bold but was way too insecure to do anything that would draw the slightest bit of attention to myself. Way to follow your heart's desire!! :)

Natasha said...

I had braces back before coloured bands existed (wah) so I never had the option of festive ones. And I love that the things you are passionate about all promote a good lifestyle -- especially the water.

And this line "yes, life with me truly is a thrill a minute" had me laughing out loud!!! I think you underestimate yourself.