Background template

Friday, September 18, 2015

The luckiest

I have a confession to make that's kind of embarrassing: the twins have been alive for 2 years, 5 months, and 13 days, and until this past Wednesday, I had not ever done their bath/bedtime routine alone. Not once. I have, on a very small handful of occasions, done the bedtime routine alone, but never including a bath (which isn't all that difficult, but definitely requires some extra work).

I feel like this makes me lose some of my mom cred, but I'm ok with that, because more importantly, it speaks volumes about how involved and helpful Brian is, and I just wanted to take a moment to publicly recognize and thank him for that.

He helps with everything when it comes to the kids, and I literally mean everything: diapers, meal prep, getting them dressed, playtime, baths, bedtime, daycare drop-off/pick-up, discipline, you name it. But more than that? He does it all without complaining. And when he's stuck doing it solo (which admittedly happens to him more often than it happens to me), he handles it like a champ and doesn't ever make me feel guilty for being gone.

I knew I hit the jackpot when I snagged Brian as a husband, but had no idea how thankful I'd one day be to have him as a partner in raising our kids. Colby, Clara, and I are truly the luckiest to have him in our lives.

And in case there is any doubt about just how much influence he has in this house, then consider exhibit A and exhibit B from my solo bedtime duty on Wednesday: Colby and Clara reading their Darth Vader books in bed :)



10 comments:

Brian Joiner said...

Thank you for writing such a sweet post - you and the kids make me feel like the luckiest man!

Emily said...

Score for an awesome husband. But just as important, I had no idea Darth Vader books existed! Some of Adam's family is crazy about Star Wars and I think you just uncovered some Christmas presents for me. :)

Beth said...

Yup that's amazing. Way to go Brian for being awesome!

Nelson Bartley said...

You have no idea how lucky you are. I think Kinsey was almost three before Lsrry ever voluntarily took all three kids on his own ANYWHERE. And where did he take them? Home from lunch so that I could go to the mall alone. I'll do the math for you.....Kinsey was three, Ellery was five and Austin was NINE. I have that day imprinted in my brain because I was so shocked when he said "Kids, come with me so mom can go by herself." He never even met the pediatrician until Kinsey was born-even then he just happened to be in the hospital when the dr came by. And yes, at that point Ausitn had just turned six.
So yes, luckiest. Ever.

the blogivers said...

Way to be awesome, Bri, and way to handle bath/bedtime solo, sis! I love that pic of Colby - he looks like baby Andrew with blonde hair!

Brittany Gaspard said...

Y'all are the cutest, stop it already!

Also, Colby looks like he belongs to Allison in that picture! Does anyone else see the resemblance?!

Erika said...

Way to go, Bri-Bri!! Matt and Brian must have studied at the same College of Fatherhood because that's Matt's style, too. I definitely can't complain.

Brittnie said...

Allison and I were just talking the other day about how all three of our guys are super hands on, and how lucky we are for their involvement in all things parenthood! Way to go super dads! :)

Brittany said...

Sweet post for a sweet daddy and husband!

Natasha said...

I really do think we scored big time in the awesome husbands department. I also rarely do bed and bath time on my own and Dave has definitely done it solo more than me. I feel like a super-hero when I even just bathe the kids on my own and Dave does that like 360 times a year.

Anyways, congrats on surviving it all solo. I know how accomplished you feel.