Background template

Friday, September 25, 2015

Relationship to food (Week 14)

It probably says a lot about the topic at hand that I think this would be more aptly described as my relationship with food, ha!

Like any honest female would tell you, my relationship to/with food is complicated. I love it as much as I hate it and I spend as much time thinking about it as I do trying to convince myself not to think about it.


With that said, I'll attempt to highlight some of the more defining attributes of said relationship:

- I'm a big believer in "everything in moderation": I think depriving yourself of all indulgences is cruel and life's too short for that, but I also don't go majorly off the deep end when I do indulge.

- Relatedly, I make it a priority to exercise regularly so that I can eat some of the things that I might otherwise resist eating. I'm looking at you, chocolate chip cookies.

- I have never gone on a "diet" and really have no interest in doing so. For me, committing to a certain diet (read: restrictions on what I can and cannot eat) would only cause undue obsessing about the things I can't eat. Instead, what seems to work for me is portion control. You may think I'm crazy for counting out my crackers or measuring my cereal, but I call it forced self-control that I otherwise would not have!

- I do tend to "reward" myself with food, particularly if I've survived an extra stressful or unpleasant event. Better chocolate than drugs, right? ;)

- I'm not a very adventurous eater and I fully admit to claiming not to like things I've never actually tried. Go ahead and try to coerce me into changing my ways and trying new things, but know that many have tried before you and failed.

- I prefer eating smaller meals and then having snacks in between so I have something to look forward to throughout the day rather than just getting to look forward to three meals. Is that sad?

- My most unhealthy food habit is probably how much sugar I eat. Yes, some of it comes from sweets, but I am a big fan of carbs in general so I know my sugar intake is probably higher than it should be. But then I tell myself that I don't drink soft drinks so how bad can it really be, right? Terrible logic, I know.

- Sugar aside, the most powerful weapon against my self-control = tortilla chips. Sit me in front of a refillable basket of chips at a Mexican restaurant and I will eat all of them... and keep eating all of them until I've ruined my appetite. And if there's queso involved, then it's not unrealistic for me to consume an entire week's worth of calories in one sitting.The Tex Mex struggle is real.


7 comments:

the blogivers said...

I still feel gross from last night's dinner, so thinking about eating another tortilla chip is making me ill. I think the marg + not enough water throughout the day combo was not a winner!

Erika said...

I'm impressed by your commitment to exercising- that has definitely been the easiest thing to let slip since embarking on Working Mom-hood. I have definitely NOT let my passion for junk food or Mexican slip, though, so no worries there!! They always make jeans in bigger sizes!! ;)

Allena said...

I don't know how to indulge without going overboard (unfortunately). I'm on day 26 of Whole 30 and really loving it. I don't think it's a realistic lifestyle for me, but it's definitely taught me a lot about my relationship with and feelings toward food. I've also watched 2 documentaries recently about sugar (Fed Up and That Sugar Film) that are pretty eye-opening (not that I ever thought sugar was good) about how truly terrible sugar/carbs are for you. Again, I don't foresee me living my life without carbs or ice cream or whatever, but it's really made me think about WHEN and WHY I want to eat them. And like any good Texas girl, I can go to town on a basket of chips - that meme was amazing.

Emily said...

Catching up after being away...
1. I'm with you on the diet thing! Restricting food is just silly, sometimes unhealthy (see Atkins diet fad!), and most times people rebound even worse. I, too, am big on portion control and exercising. Many times I fail at both, but whenever I succeed, it's always from portion control and exercising.
2. I find it hilarious that you are not adventurous eater since I consider anything with avocado and black beans to be "adventurous."
3. I ate a basket of tortilla chips this weekend and thought of you!

Brittany said...

I've always admired your commitment to exercise without obsessing over it. I also think it's great that you don't go on diets. I am definitely one to go all in with a specific "diet" and then getting burnt out very quickly. This was interesting to read!

Brittnie said...

I loved reading this since 1 - I have always admired your outlook on food/diet/exercise etc and 2-we both know I have a history of not tackling the food thing well so . . . I would say you are nailing it! Life is so much more enjoyable when enjoying in moderation. Not black and white. Not good or bad. Not all or nothing. Just about moderately making room for all of it.

Natasha said...

I feel like, from what you've written, you have figured out how to be disciplined about food. And I think it's so great that you don't drink pop. That's the one thing about my diet I'd like to change. And do, sometimes. However, when life is stressful, it's the first thing that goes off the rails.