Background template

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

4th of July memoir

I know it probably sounds trite to start off recaps of big events with the twins with, "thankfully, {x} went better than I expected!," but as any of you fellow pessimists realists with small children know, the potential for disaster when plans are made is very real. So with that, I am legitimately thankful to report that our 4th of July trip to Dallas was a success! 

We hit the road on Thursday afternoon and I can't tell you how relieved I was that the movies we downloaded on the iPad actually held the twins' attention. I also read somewhere that baking sheets were helpful for activities like coloring (sort of like a lap board with edges), and although we never busted out any colors, they proved very helpful at mealtime, so I would highly recommend that you take some along on your next car trip with a toddler:

Also, dinosaurs... always a good idea to take along some dinosaurs.

We spent the long weekend at my parents' house, along with the Olivers, and since our older sister + family live close by, we were able to spend some quality time with them as well. And with 8 adults and 8 children involved, quality time mostly meant watching the 5 older cousins chase the 3 younger ones around while hoping no one was injured or went missing.

Two firsts occurred during this visit: (1) Avery got to experience room-sharing for the first time, and (2) Colby discovered how to climb out of the pack-n-play for the first time. Both proved highly entertaining for the toddlers and mildly concerning for the adults, but overall the sleeping situation went relatively smoothly.

Sorry, ladies, but whether or not you two become lifelong besties is really not up to you...



Full circle moment: the twins checking out the ducks and turtles at North Park, a favorite pastime from my own childhood 

Poor guy had just fallen head-first off the couch, so of course I obliged with his demand request to have the musical tractor and bus accompany him during snack time.

In a sharp contrast to what all other Americans were probably doing that day, we spent the 4th of July parade-watching, eating, baby pool-ing, more eating, and fireworks-viewing. I took about 8,000 pictures at the parade, so you can thank picmonkey for the fact that I condensed them into collages. I have also categorized them because I'm neurotic awesome like that:

Parade-watching Pictures

Candy-Collecting/Consuming Pictures

Posed Pictures

And last, but certainly not least: Selfies

I wasn't satisfied with our attempt at a family pic above, so I was appreciative that Allison snapped a couple of other shots for us back at the house. Flag waving? Check. Patriotic attire? Check. All 4 family members looking at the camera? You can't win 'em all.


Busting out the baby pool was the perfect activity to pass the time between naps and dinner with the fam, in no small part because Brian and Wade agreed to watch the children so Allison and I could "help our mom get dinner ready" (read: peruse facebook and not melt) inside. 

One orange-sleeved toddler who shall remain nameless decided his climbing skills weren't limited to the pack-n-play and got in/out of the pool no less than 100 times, so we obviously bribed him back in with juice... and bubbles:

Please zoom in so that you can see the bubble residue all over his mouth. He won't eat vegetables but soap? Right up his alley.

We don't get to see our grandmother all that often so it was a nice treat to visit with her for a bit. Hopefully she won't hold it against us if our children contributed to her hearing loss :)

We hated to leave on Sunday, but alas, all good trips must come to an end, so after lots of hugs, kisses, and snacks were doled out, we bid Franny and Pop farewell...


... and much to our delight, this occurred (only for 45 minutes, but still):


So yes, it's safe to say that this long holiday weekend surpassed our expectations, and we hope to do it again sooner rather than later. And in the meantime, I'll leave you all with this 2013 (3 months)/ 2014 (15 months)/ 2015 (2 years) 4th of July picture comparison:


Hope you all had a happy 4th, too!

6 comments:

the blogivers said...

I did have a happy 4th, too - thanks! It was eerily similar to yours, in fact.

Brittnie said...

Love that idea for the cookie sheet in the car! Never would have thought of that! Glad the trip went well!

Emily said...

AMEN AMEN AMEN to the "thankfully [x] went better than I expected." That's my motto in life now. I am always anticipating / expecting the worst so when it goes well, I'm all : "YAY! CHECK OUT OUR AWESOMENESS!" So happy it went well!

Brittany said...

So glad it went better than you expected! Love all of the pictures!

Erika said...

Your grandmother is beautiful!! Look at her on-point lip color! Go granny go! Also, cute kids, too. Not too surprising, I guess...

Natasha said...

I love the organized picture collages, especially the selfie one! Also, this post makes me miss our big family get togethers. This looks like it was so much fun.