Background template

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

3 things I like about my personality (Week 5)

Thank you, writing challenge, for this not-so-humble brag of a blog post. I have been charged with sharing 3 things I like about my personality, so here goes nothing:

1. I'm honest. For better or worse, you can pretty much always count on me to tell it like it is. This is not so helpful in confrontational situations (wherein I feel obligated to tell the other person everything I think with very minimal filtering). It is helpful, however, when someone comes to me asking for sincere advice or feedback. And it also means that if I pay you a compliment, you can be fairly confident that I actually mean it, because I'm not in the habit of just telling people what they want to hear.

Though maturity has taught me the importance of being loving when I speak the truth, I am a firm believer that honesty is always the best policy, and I hope to instill that principle in Colby and Clara as well!

2. I'm persistent. I once wrote about Clara that, "whenever she commits to something, she commits to it fully and she will devote 100% of her effort to the task at hand- rational or not." Let's just say that she comes by that character trait naturally.

Once again, I'm fully aware of the potentially negative side effects of this characteristic: I have a hard time knowing when to cut my losses and give up on something (or someone), I often step on others' toes, and my follow-up skills annoy the heck out of people (I'm a pro at nagging).

BUT, because of this characteristic, I am also a loyal friend, a hard worker, and very much unwilling to be defeated by the trials life brings my way.

3. I've never met a stranger. I inherited this from my mom, although come to think of it, my dad is no wallflower, either. I can and will strike up a conversation with just about anyone about just about anything. Some people are terrified of small talk or spending time with new groups of people, but I love the challenge of finding out what I have in common with other people.

I think my tendency to over-share is related to this, as I do so in an effort to throw as much information about myself out as possible in order to give other people something to connect with (because I hope in social settings that people will do the same for me)!

And with that, I'll leave you with a 4-year-old picture of me eating my first ever cake ball:


7 comments:

the blogivers said...

You might have some work to do on passing #1 on to your children considering how often Clara claims to have been hit by Colby... just saying. But I agree with all 3 of these!

Brittnie said...

One reason I always value your feedback/advice is I know you won't sugar coat anything, or just tell me what I want to hear, and will speak truth!

Emily said...

All of these are fantastic traits. I wish I was more persistent, for sure. I can be passionate, but not necessarily persistent.
I love that you, too, are a classic over-sharer. I have such a hard time understanding private people who don't want to talk all about everything. :)

Brittany said...

These are three of the things I love most about you!

Anonymous said...

You mentioned in a previous post that you are frugal. I think this is great and would love to hear more about this. Do you have any money saving advice? For some reason I like hearing about this kind of stuff...lol. You don't have to mention anything private like you salary, etc.

Erika said...

I wish I had more of your #3 in me!! I admire people that are able to chat with everyone without feeling (and making the whole room) awkward, ha!

Natasha said...

I am definitely #2 too. But you're right -- sometimes it might just be better to give up, as I've learned the hard way.