Background template

Monday, June 29, 2015

Summery things (and bonus dad bods)

FIRST WORLD PROBLEM ALERT: There is plenty of guilt that comes with being a working mom (or any mom at all, for that matter), but I've found that one of the biggest sources for me is the fact that my kids don't get to have a "normal" summer. They don't have the luxury of spending all day, every day at the pool, they don't get to try out all of the area's splash pads, they don't get to participate in any of the fun summer camps, etc.

And because we don't have all week to do All The Summery Things, I feel compelled to cram them all into our weekends. All the while, I don't want to over-program our time with the twins, because, well, we don't get a lot of time with them and they don't get much time to relax at home. So therein lies the perpetual dilemma. 

We were able to achieve somewhat of a balance this past weekend, thanks to a pool party with our small group from church and a quick sno cone outing, amidst our normal lounging around the house/errand-running adventures. We actually kicked the weekend off with a trip to the pediatrician for Colby. He's been fighting ear infections since April and after 3 unsuccessful rounds of antibiotics, we left the appointment with a referral to an ENT. 

He really has been feeling mostly fine, so even though he looks pitiful here, he was just acting unsure about the whole visit, which I clearly did not mind :)

We had a lot of fun at the pool party, particularly because it was the first time the twins have been in the pool this summer. And as is always the case with our cautious little ones, they were hesitant at first but quickly realized there is nothing not to love about a pool party: undivided attention from parents, non-stop playing with friends, and, of course, food.

Here they are upon our arrival, clearly both confused as to what the heck there is for us to be smiling about.

Ok maybe this isn't so terrible...

I personally don't like watermelon (I know, gasp!), but I made darn sure they had some, if for nothing other than a picture. As is the case with pretty much every fruit, Colby went to town. Clara, however, opted for Cheetos, hot dogs, and brownies, because she's my daughter.

My two favorite pics: Clara looking ready for a water gun battle and Colby just chilling in the pouring rain

Top pic: DAD BODS!
Bottom pic: all of the kiddos that were in attendance (again, please note Clara's goggles...)

Thanks to the festivities, the twins slept great on Saturday evening and though I doubt it's related, they also took extra long naps on Sunday (allowing us to make more progress on Parenthood...), which is just another reason why it's so tempting to give them exposure to pool time whenever possible. 

We finished off the weekend with sno cones with some friends, and it's safe to say Colby was a bigger fan than Clara... of eating them, at least. She took great joy in playing with the umbrella, force-feeding all of us with her spoon, and most specially, dumping the sno cone in my lap. I'm still glad we were able to do it, because what better way to put your children to bed the night before the school week starts than full of sugar, am I right?

6 comments:

Brittnie said...

Pool party looks fun! I really love that pic of Colby in the rain. . . super cute.

Thanks again for the last minute sno cone invite!

the blogivers said...

Glad you guys were able to squeeze in some summer fun this weekend to ease the guilt a bit! And sorry that your SAHM sister is so overloaded on summer that she isn't much fun on the weekends...

Brittany said...

What a fun weekend! Clara's friend Georgia is also a big fan of goggles. :)

Erika said...

I feel ya...I was just thinking about how summer isn't any more relaxing than the rest of the year. But I do like the option of swimming on the weekends. That definitely is a pleasant way to pass time (and encourage good sleep...)!

Emily said...

Cheetos, hot dogs, and brownies? I am TOTALLY on board with Clara's choices. Watermelon is ok, but it doesn't wow me and its messy.

Natasha said...

I agree with Clara's choice of Cheetos and brownies over watermelon, although I don't mind watermelon if the other two aren't options. And the sno cone in the lap sounds especially fun :)