Background template

Thursday, May 14, 2015

Out of the mouths of toddlers

I guess this shouldn't surprise me, but now that the twins are talking more, they are making us laugh more. And because this has undeniably turned into a "mommy blog," I feel compelled to share with you some of the more amusing things that have come out of their mouths lately:

- Colby has historically referred to Clara as "Rah-rah" and himself as "me." As of last week, he has started calling himself "Oh-bee." This isn't so much funny as it is cute, but I still secretly hope Clara continues to call him "Rah-rah" forever.

- If Clara points out one of her "boo-boos" to you (whether it's a scratch, bruise, or simply a smudge of dirt) and you respond by asking her what happened, her answer is always, "Rah-rah hit me!," regardless of what actually caused it. I never knew tattling (or lying, for that matter) started at such an early age, but apparently it does!

- One day when we were driving around recently, Colby declared, "Mama, Dada - Nack Head!" and we turned around to find him sitting in his car seat with his snack ("nack") cup on his head. He thought his trick was pretty hysterical and therefore now does it on a regular basis with whatever items he comes across in the car. Here's proof:

I present you with "Truck Truck Water Head"

And wouldn't you know that Clara picked up on the trick, too...

- And speaking of the car, I have apparently done something right as a parent, because thanks to a few dance parties we've had to "Shake It Off" at home, both of the twins have been asking for "more Shake Shake" every time we get in the car lately. I get the impression that Brian isn't as thrilled about this development as I am ;)

- And lastly, my favorite two anecdotes, both of which occured at dinner on Mother's Day:

(1) The waiter walked up to our table at one point and asked, "Is everything ok?" Before any of us could answer, Clara glared at him and yelled, "NO!" Apparently home girl was out of beans and rather than waste time using her parents as the middle men, she decided to go straight to the source. He looked a little startled, but you better believe he brought her more beans.

(2) A few minutes later, when we weren't paying attention, the hostess walked by our table and Colby handed her his empty bowl and said, "Beans?" She, like the waiter, was taken aback but I mean, we have to give them props for being so assertive, right?

Please feel free to share your amusing kid moments in the comments (so I don't feel like as much of a dork for sharing mine...)!

8 comments:

the blogivers said...

I'm glad I was there to witness the last 2 events! I don't think I have any stories to share with you here though to make you feel like less of a dork because I have already shared all of them with you, so hopefully someone else will come to your rescue...

Beth said...

Cuties!! Mateo calls himself "Pateo" and also enjoys putting random items on his head and saying "hat". When choosing a book to read, he presses his index finger to his chin, scans the room and says "how bout...". He also requests "hot cakes" on the regular. And probably his fave thing to say is "Pateo do it!!" and "come too?". One day they're going to talk normally and that will be SO lame! (We won't talk about his potty mouth, because while it's hard not to laugh, it is NOT cute!)

Emily said...

There must be something about Taylor Swift because Aaron has loved "Shake Off" for months. Anyway we are (mall, zoo, etc), if he hears it on the speakers, he will immediately shout: "Shake off!" and start dancing.

On a more embarrassing note, Aaron has been putting together this sentence: "Mommy Daddy fall down naked in the water." Needless to say, I have to explain to everyone that NO, we do NOT canoodle nakedly around our child. He probably finds it funny because of our shocked reaction, so we've been trying to not react... but apparently he NOW tells people when we aren't around to defend ourselves and that gets even more awkward...

Nelson Bartley said...

Austin introduced a couple of words that make so much more sense, we still use them to this day.
Movie theater: movie-ater
Poinky: pointy and spiky
( and KK was incensed when she used poinky in a class paper and the teacher informed her it wasn't really a word. "We use that word at our house all the time!")

Brittnie said...

I'm laughing over both bean incidents! That is awesome!

Erika said...

Man- I hope C&C tip extra generously for the high level of service they demand at restaurants!! I can't wait for Millie to talk and say hilarious things!!

kayla Agan said...

So cute! Mine like to ask servers for iced tea! And mine have started a little twin thing where they kind of make up words that only they seem to understand. Like a little twin language!? Do your do that?

Natasha said...

These made me laugh a lot. I think I will randomly start demanding "BEANS!!!" at restaurants and see how that goes for me :)