Background template

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

More parenting woes

I fully intend to flood you with pictures from our long weekend, but for today's post, I just need to go ahead and clarify (as if the whole world isn't already aware) that I am not coping well with this whole parenting-two-toddlers thing. It's no secret that I've always had a short fuse, but these two have the ability to take a tiny little match that's lit in me and turn it into a nuclear explosion in a matter of seconds.

Their secret weapons include: whining, disobeying, and fighting over toys everything. But this past weekend, they discovered the most effective formula ever for pushing Mommy over the edge: doing any and all of the above in the car. Basically take any normal annoying behavior and add in the following elements:
- enclosed space
- a Daddy that's driving, leaving Mommy alone to battle their toddler powers
- safety/legal boundaries (I'm looking at you, seat belts and car seats) that prevent Mommy from easily mitigating any undesirable behavior

My "favorite" behavior demonstrated by Clara: taking off her shoes, throwing them on the ground, whining repeatedly "my shoooooes!," and then as soon as I pick them up and hand them back to her, she does it all over again- lather, rinse, repeat until my brain explodes

My "favorite" behavior demonstrated by Colby: taking each toy out of the toy bucket one by one and throwing it across the car... and then yelling because he doesn't have anything else to throw until my brain explodes

Also, while I'm being a totally ungrateful parent venting, I need to tell you that Clara threw so many monumental tantrums last week (primarily immediately before bedtime and after waking up in the morning), that I insisted we take her to the doctor, despite any actual medical concerns. I can't even tell you how relieved I was when the pediatrician said she had an ear infection. I actually exclaimed "yay!," which I'm sure made the doctor regret endorsing me for Mom of the Year, but oh well.

The good news is that, even though she hates taking medicine with a fiery passion and spews it out every time, the antibiotic seems to be making a difference, and we are all much happier as a result... you know, minus the car behavior.

And now, because I want everyone to know that I'm not totally exaggerating and because I want to give Clara ample ammunition when she visits a therapist one day, allow me to share with you the fit that resulted in the visit to the doctor:


Impressive, right? Call her strong-willed, call her dramatic, call her spirited.. at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter what makes her tick this way, all I know is that God gave her to us for a reason (if you ask my parents, that reason is called revenge ;) and so I ask Him for the strength and patience daily to parent her and her brother in the most loving way possible (even though some days that just means ensuring basic survival for all of us!). 

And forgive me for all of the Negative Nelly posts lately about parenting... I mean it when I say that this stage has thrown me for a loop and so most days, it's the only thing on my mind! But don't you worry, I'll be back soon with pictures that prove that we do, in fact, have enjoyable moments as a family :)

11 comments:

the blogivers said...

It seemed like they were both on pretty decent behavior Sunday and Monday when we were all together, so maybe they got all the tantrums and brain explosion inducing behavior out of their system last week :) Seriously though, hang in there! I promise there's a light at the end of the tunnel!

Brandi said...

It's not even funny how similar we are. I H-A-T-E-D getting used to this stage. And notice I didn't say that in a way that would indicate the stage ends. I just got used to it....

Brandy Knudson said...

The shoe thing is Camryn's favorite pastime. I feel for you and relate to you so much here. I only have one toddler, but I have been completely thrown off by her insane behavior. I'm already on my second "how to parent a toddler" book and I'm still at a loss of what to do! I'll let you if I ever learn anything... :)

Erika said...

Wow. This sounds super fun!! Is there boarding school for three-year-olds??

Brittnie said...

Oh goodness. I am sorry this stage is so frustrating. Camille is slowly initiating me so any wisdom you gain along the way please feel free to pass on!

Emily said...

Honest posts are the best. And definitely one of the reasons your blog is my favorite. Sometimes parenting sucks. Screaming irrational children are mind-numbing. Adam is spontaneously traveling this week and I'm DREADING the additional parenting responsibilities of the morning routine. By Friday, I may be throwing my own tantrum similar to Clara's.

Natasha said...

I'm glad you discovered one underlying cause for her tantrums (I absolutely do not blame you for the "Yes!") and I pray that life improves soon. Rachel has been throwing more tantrums lately too (thank you threenage year) and Oh. My. Word. the whining makes me want to tear my hair out. I'm sorry this is not all that uplifting but the bright side is that they are usually shorter and further apart than the two year old behaviour. And I've heard that (eventually) it ends. Thinking of you...

kayla Agan said...

Hang in there. And know that it's okay if your car is filled with toys and shoes. And it's ok if your house is sometimes just horrid! I think it's just unavoidable with two toddlers. Two TWO year olds is a mighty force, ha! I've learned that it's a lot easier to let go of perfection at this stage, and just try to enjoy the crazy ride. And then at 8pm the mop and broom and crazy cleaning lady mommy comes out in our house. But if someone popped in unexpected some days here they would think I had 10 kids!! But I've found my "old" standards are just not realistic with toddlers and that not a person cares if some things have to be let go! :)

kayla Agan said...

But yes, oh my whining is THE WORST!!!

hollie marie said...

Omg. The tantrums have got to be THE most emotionally taxing thing on earth. Isaac has recently taken to throwing his peepee from the potty chair into the big potty (you can only imagine the epically disgusting mess. Gag.) and if anyone does it for him, the crazy-loud-melt-your-brain-cells-never-going-to-end toddler tantrum begins.

It's painful enough to let him spill urine all over the bathroom. Sigh.

Aubrey said...

Oh no! I might not make it TO two, let alone through that year! What happens after? Do they just totally tire themselves out??