Background template

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Way back when-sday: Rebel Without a Cause Edition

It will surprise probably none of you to know that I was a goody-goody growing up. In fact (I can't remember if I've shared this on here or not?), I volunteered not once, not twice, but THREE times to go on undercover police stings in high school wherein people that knowingly sold alcohol to a minor (me, using my actual driver's license stating that I was 16) were arrested. So, yes, it's safe to say that I like to follow the rules.

But we all had our youthful indiscretions, and although mine were probably small in comparison to some of my more rebellious peers, they were still a HUGE deal to me at the time. And so, I shall now share with you the list of times I got in legitimate trouble growing up (or at least the most memorable ones):

1. In 8th grade, my Spanish teacher caught me chewing gum in class. Normally when she caught someone, she asked the person to throw the gum away and might be give him/her a warning, but she was so caught off guard by my rebelliousness, apparently, that she insisted I come in after school for detention. She even wrote on her chalk board, "Amanda N. received detention for chewing gum in class," and laughed about it in front of the class, which of course MORTIFIED me. My face is still red just thinking about it.

Here I am in 8th grade, probably thinking, "What the heck, Señorita Blum?!"

2. In 9th grade, Allison and I became fast enemies with a new girl that moved into town- think a less attractive and more manipulative version of Jen from Dawson's Creek. As was the case with all important social activity at that time, most of our fights occurred on AOL Instant Messenger. At one point, her younger brother decided to get involved in the exchange of words, after which he decided to copy and paste pieces of the conversation (to look like we were picking on him out of nowhere) and gave them to the Assistant Principal.

Allison and I were pulled out of our respective classes the next day to go to the AP's office to discuss the issue. Allison was a basket case and as I recall, spent the duration of our discussion crying inconsolably, leaving me to defend us (thanks, sis ;). Parents got involved and eventually the truth came out that this girl and her brother were not, in fact, helpless victims and the whole issue eventually fizzled, thankfully. Nonetheless, it was an early lesson learned to be careful what you put in print!

I don't have any pictures with that girl (for obvious reasons), so you'll have to settle for this picture of me with two of my friends on the last day of 9th grade.

3. I didn't directly get in trouble for this, but a t-shirt idea I inadvertently came up with was banned from our school campus. When I was on the freshman soccer team, the Varsity players always made us round up ("shag") the loose soccer balls after practice. So when we were trying to think of a team t-shirt slogan, I thought we should poke fun at that ritual, so I innocently suggested, "We're not just players, we shag balls, too!"

I honestly didn't mean anything by it, but the moment the words came out of my mouth, I realized how terrible it sounded, but it was too late- everyone decided it was hilarious and to go for it. And so we sported them to school on the day of our first game, and imagine our surprise when the principal informed our coach that we were no longer allowed to wear them. And imagine my embarrassment when the word spread that I had come up with the idea... oops.

Here's a pic with me and two of my teammates our freshman year. We later went on to be co-captains of the Varsity team when we were seniors (and yes, of course we still made the freshmen shag the balls)!

4. And speaking of t-shirts, in 11th grade, I wore a v-neck red shirt from Express to school on Valentine's Day. In hindsight, it was probably a little revealing, but I generally dressed pretty conservatively and it's not like I had much to show off, so I never gave it a second thought.

Apparently, however, my pre-Calculus teacher decided it showed too much cleavage when I was laying my head down on my desk, so he reported me to the office. I was called in the next day to the Assistant Principal's office to be reminded about wearing appropriate attire, which was ironic, considering I was wearing my anything-but-revealing soccer warm-up attire at the time.

Here's a pic of me wearing the shirt a year later (I'm the twin in red), so yeah, I guess I can see his point!

So now it's your turn: what did you do that got you in trouble when you were growing up (that you'll admit to on the internet)?

12 comments:

the blogivers said...

Ha! I love this! I was just thinking about the revealing shirt incident a couple of days ago. Somehow I had entirely forgotten about the details of the gum-chewing detention, though. You were such a RWAC!

Nelson Bartley said...

I'm thinking most of the teachers these days would PAY to have rebellious students like you as opposed to the ones they actually have.

Erika said...

Bahahaha this is the best post ever!! I love the old pictures!! Not shockingly, it seems like we woulda been BFF goody-goodies in HS. My most mortifying incident in middle school was one day in band, we had a sub (who obviously was clueless about my star-student status). We were watching some dumb movie, which is obviously way inferior to playing music, so my best friend Chris and I were goofing off. At some point he tossed a cough drop at me, so I threw it back. And I got caught. And I got detention. Because "I could have damaged an instrument"...you know, the instruments that were all in their cases while we watched the movie? Right. Anyway, cried for weeks.

Katrina said...

In 4th grade I had to miss recess because I had to go the restroom and I didn't go when we were supposed to before an assembly. I was 4th grade president people. I was mortified.

Also, in 8th grade my science teacher said I was being disrespectful to her in class by asking questions. Looking back I probably was...but hey, don't you sign up for that when you decide to teach junior high punks?

Jenni said...

Lol. This is so me. In second grade, I got in trouble for laughing when a girl wet her pants when a bee was chasing her. My senior year, my mom got mad at me because I "shushed" her when she was interrupting my doing homework. She was just trying to enjoy time with me before college, but I was too busy with homework?! And we won't go into the ONE incident in college...oops.

Brittnie said...

I love this!!! I totally LOL at " "What the heck, Señorita Blum?!" - Seriously this made me crack up!!

So I am a goody-goody as well (shocker!) and I honestly didn't get into trouble much at all. In middle school I got caught passing notes to my friends, so that was about the worst of my offenses.

In college I got caught swiping my friends chapel card (we had a certain # of chapel credits we had to get every semester), and I was put on chapel probation for the rest of the semester. I had to sit in a designated "probation" section everyday and it was awful!!! I was so scared that I called my parents crying once I knew I got caught and was seriously crying so hard they thought somethingSERIOUSLY bad had happened to me. They started laughing when they learned that for the first time ever I was in trouble. :) :) :)

Emily said...

THIS MADE MY NIGHT. Relvealing shirts and AOL Instant Messenger!
As for rebellion, I was a goody-goody for my elementary years, and I remember a crisis-level rebellion included not properly folding a blanket on the couch during nightly pick-up (what a rebel I was!). Highschool was a different story, but the last bad thing I was CAUGHT doing was watching the R-rated Matrix with my parents. Haha.

Emily said...

*caught watching the Matrix BY my parents. They wouldn't watch it with me, obv.

Brittany said...

I was cracking up during this whole post! While I don't really have any rebellious high school stories, my biggest rebellious move of my life was having my sister's boyfriend basically take my online Texas history final for me during the summer in college.

kayla Agan said...

Hahah! So I'm not chiming in, ha! But I will say I had a similar Spanish incident where she yelled at me"señorita Freede, con su chicle in la basura!" I remember it perfectly because being the bratty 8th grader I was, I immediately left class and made fun of her to my friends! What is it with Spanish teachers and gum!?

Bren said...

You are too funny! I hope you hung onto your "we shag balls" shirt for posterity. That is hilarious! These pictures are awesome and I think we would have been besties in highschool. I was definitely teacher's pet for the most part, but once I got my driver's license I ditched class a few times to go shopping. But I never got caught so it doesn't count!

Natasha said...

I don't know that I ever got in that much trouble. I did get a "0" on a test once though because I forgot to write my name on it. That was depressing.

And I really do want to hear more about how you got to help the police out. That sounds pretty cool!!!