Background template

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

When God delays

So on the twins' 1st birthday last year (yes, the exact day), I came across the following devotional in this daily devotional book:


I don't know why I didn't blog about it at the time... probably because I was too busy wrapping my mind around the fact that the babies we had waited for for so very long were already turning one. But it certainly resonated with me then and I have thought back on it often, in no small part due to the fact that I saved this image on my phone.

I really don't believe in coincidences, and although you might think it's a stretch, I really do think that God had me in mind when he inspired the author to write those words and choose that date. Do I think that was His only purpose in this being written? Of course not, but the cool thing is that it was one of His many purposes in doing so.

Anyway, as another April 5th approaches and the twins get closer to turning two, I've been thinking more and more about this concept. We are obviously becoming further and further removed from the very painful infertility journey we were once on, but I haven't forgotten what that wait was like. How lonely it was. How excruciating it was. How discouraging it was. How trying it was.

But now, being well on the other side of the wait, I can attest to how necessary it was and how worth it it was. And yes, it was necessary and worth it for two very obvious reasons, for without that journey, we wouldn't have Colby and Clara.

But it was also necessary and worth it because as our patience grew (and oh, how it grew), so did our faith. And even though our long-time prayer has since been answered, I hope that we never forget the valuable lesson we learned about seeking God more than seeking His answers while we were waiting.

"Often God delays purposely, and the delay is just as much an answer to your prayer as is the fulfillment when it comes." - Emilie Barnes

9 comments:

the blogivers said...

Preach, preacher. I also think the comparison to a child wanting dessert before dinner is pretty relevant for your almost-2-year-olds ;)

Beth said...

That's so awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Brittnie said...

I really love this. . . thanks for sharing.

Ellen Barnes said...

A friend pointed me to your blog while I was in the middle of my infertility journey. And how very interesting that you found this last year on the twins 1st birthday, the same day I gave birth to my daughter. :)

Erika said...

Such a good story/reminder/truth!!! The wait was horrible, but SO worth it.

Brittany said...

Love this! Thank you for sharing. Love you and your babies!

Kate said...

Thanks for posting this. I'm in the middle of my own infertility journey right now and it's not fun.

Katie Jeanne said...

I love this post and I think I need to get that devotional! Thank you for sharing :)

Natasha said...

Thank you for sharing this. I know various waits I have experienced in my life have helped me rely on God more.