Background template

Monday, March 9, 2015

Just hanging with my peeps

I hope you all really appreciate the fact that I put together a blog post for today, because not only was there a time change yesterday, but it was also cold and rainy outside, aka: the perfect day for someone with zero responsibilities and/or someone that feels no guilt over being lazy and unproductive. But alas, I'm not either of those, so here we are.

Unlike last weekend, no tiny people kept us house-bound by being miserably ill. They were thankfully both in pretty good moods, with the exception of Friday evening, during which they were quite possibly simultaneously possessed by a demon:



Why, you ask? Because we refused to let them eat grapes and ONLY grapes for dinner. We had the audacity to insist that they either eat the accompanying grilled cheese (the horrors) or nothing at all.

But let's rewind to Friday afternoon where I (a) got several inches of hair chopped off and (b) took a gratuitous picture of the cottonwood trees that just bloomed on my street:



Thankfully, there were no fruit fights on Saturday and miraculously, we made it through the day without any major toddler (or mommy) meltdowns at all. Dare I say, it was actually a pretty perfect day, and once you hear about it, you might think my standards are a little low... but if that's the case, then you are probably not the working parent of small children and you and your high standards can take a hike.

Clara subscribes to the theory that if one FitBit band helps you lose weight, then wearing 5 at a time would surely help you lose 5 times the weight, right? Although her post-breakfast belly might suggest otherwise.

Apparently Sugar Land has an annual kite festival- who knew? We decided to check it out with the Olivers and it did not disappoint. Yes, there was kite-flying, but more importantly, there was a wide open field in which the kids could roam freely! 

Kites!

See that threenager in the background with sunglasses and a beanie? That would be their cousin, Davis!

The three musketeers (and their three miniature stuffed cows, courtesy of the Chick Fil A booth!)

I couldn't get Colby or Clara to pose for a selfie with me, but sweet Avery was more than willing

After lunch and naps (that really shouldn't be plural given that Colby spent the entirety of the 2.5 hours playing in his crib), we headed to Great Harvest to redeem this beautiful work of art for a cookie the size of my head:


We finished off the day playing at the park, eating dinner at Freebirds, getting some frozen yogurt at Menchie's, and finally, a slightly early bedtime for the twins and catching up on all of the tv shows we missed while dedicating our lives to Gilmore Girls. In other words, a pretty wonderful Saturday afternoon/evening.


Um how cute are these babes (all 5 of them)? (No, I'm not hitting on my brother-in-law, but it seemed rude to leave him out...)




Sunday also turned out to be pretty great, thanks in no small part to the twins' 3-hour nap (and once again, Colby spent all 3 hours playing while we had to actually wake Clara up) and a visit + dinner with Brian's fam. 

I know I've said it before and I'll say it again: I realize this blog has come to basically consist of weekend recaps, and while part of me feels kind of bad about that, the other part of me thinks that's actually pretty reflective of my life at the moment. Don't get me wrong- I make the most of the weekdays, too, but I get to spend very little of them with the ones I love most, so it only makes sense that the weekends are what I actually want to write about :)

8 comments:

Brittnie said...

Fun weekend! The kite festival looked fun! Oh and yes, Davis looks basically 12 in that picture!!

Ps - Is it ever going to stop raining???

the blogivers said...

Glad we were able to help make your Saturday so perfect, since surely it wouldn't have been that way without us.

Emily said...

Your weekend sounds absolutely fabulous to me. :) I am insanely jealous of your Kite Festival and immediately googled to see if we had one. Back in May 2013, Philly had a "Kite and Food Truck" festival (#classy). Only 2 years too late.

Allena said...

I totally agree about it being hard to write on weekdays sometimes. We get so little time that isn't 'dinner, cleanup, bath, bedtime' it's hard to come up with material!

Aubrey said...

Sounds like the perfect weekend! And Clara's belly is too stinkin' cute!

Brittany said...

I love reading about your weekends! The kite festival looks so fun! Also, I'm curious why in the picture on the swing, it looks like the 3 tiny people are weighing it down in the middle and not the men on the ends? ;)

Natasha said...

Even as a SAHM mom, it's all about the weekends because then Dave is home and we actually have time to have fun as a family. Otherwise it's mostly dishes, laundry, cleaning, and errands. Fun times.

Although sometimes there are other fun moments.

Rebekah said...

I love your necklace! Where did you get it from? Thanks!!