Background template

Monday, March 23, 2015

Bye bye, fwenz

So as many of you read on facebook, we bit the bullet and gave Clara's pacifiers the boot this weekend. And by "gave them the boot," I mean that we decapitated them (cut the tips off the ends). Pretty harsh way to treat your kid's friends, I know, but gotta teach 'em young that life's not always rainbows and butterflies, right? ;)

We intended to do this around 18 months, but, well, we got lazy and didn't follow through, because as all wise parents ask themselves (especially when it comes to sleep): why mess with a good thing?

After 18 months, she was only allowed to have them for sleeping (at home; she hasn't used them at daycare in 6+ months) and in the car... and in the event of emergence tantrums/mood swings. About 1-2 months ago, we took them out of the car. And truth be told, she spent a couple of weeks after that being pretty whiney and needy while in the car. This did not give me any extra motivation to take them out of the crib!


Nonetheless, I was bound and determined to kick the habit before she turned 2, and given that the big day is just 2 weeks away, we figured it was now (Friday) or nothing. So here's how it went down:

- While Brian gave the twins a bath, I snuck the "friends" out of Clara's crib and performed the operation.


- Once she was ready for bed and climbed into my lap for us to read a book, she, as she always does, asked for her "fwenz." Not noticing the snipped tips, she put one in her mouth, pulled it away with a look of disgust, and looked up at me and said, "My fwenz! Help, please! Help, please!" And then my heart broke into a million pieces and I began to tear up.

I told her that her friends were broken and they couldn't be fixed, and then she whined for a minute until we distracted her with a book.

- She fussed about it again when we put her down to sleep, but was fine by the time we walked out of the room. I was fine, too, except for the crying and insistence that she is going to hate me forever and I am the worst mommy in the world- to all of which Brian just laughed!

- She slept fine and woke up in a good mood on Saturday, and didn't have any issues with her nap that afternoon. On Saturday night, Brian tried to hand them to her and she shook her head and said, "No fwenz!" and went right to sleep.

- I got a little brave for Sunday afternoon's nap and went ahead and removed them from her crib entirely, convinced she had already lost interest. Well about 1.5 hours into naptime, she STILL had not gone to sleep (which happens approximately never), so Brian went in and gave them back to her. And back to sleep she went.

So I suppose we'll leave them with her for now in their mutilated state and hope for the best. And remember, Clara, pacifiers or not, you're still our little baby... one of them anyway!

11 comments:

the blogivers said...

Sweet little thing. I'm glad she has done well with it so far - remind me of this when we do it with Avery!

Brittnie said...

Seems like she did awesome with operation no more pacis! Maybe she will just need the security of sleeping next to them for a while or something?? We will do the same with Clara by her 3rd bday in May!! Yikes!

Aubrey said...

Awwwww! Such a little love, she is! I'm glad it's going well, for all, though! I sort of wish you had her reaction on video :). Did Colby never really take to a paci? That's how we are in this house... One twin adores his and the other never took to them.

Beth said...

I tried to get rid of Mateo's pacis except for bedtime before Max came, around 15 mos maybe, and he did fine.... Until Max arrived and he got major paci envy, stealing them every chance he got. I bought Max a wubanub which Mateo quickly "adopted". He chewed that one more than anything so I finally snipped the tip. So we call that one "binky" and he sleeps with that as well as a functioning paci. He sneaks a suck off of Max's still whenever he can. I really don't want to rock the boat with his sleep, so Clara doing so well is encouraging!

Allena said...

Hindsight being 20/20 I would still let my 5.5 year old have his 'night-night' if I could because all hell broke loose when we took them away, ha. I'm so glad your transition went pretty smoothly (minus being the worst mother who killed her frenz and all that ;) )! I hope it continues to go well!!

Emily said...

Omg, this is so many levels of precious and sadness. Poor fwenz!

Erika said...

Ahhhh this is so sad/sweet!! I'm glad there's a happy ending and also that you wrote out all of your reasoning/logic. That should be helpful in 20 years when Clara brings this up in therapy. ;) Also, totally kidding. She would need MORE therapy if she were still walking around sucking on a paci in 20 years...

Brittany said...

I am amazed that it went so well and I love that she calls them her fwenz!! :)

kayla Agan said...

You have heard my paci horror story! Mine didn't even take pacis until 18 months and then they started stealing them from their cousins. I have never seen a more hooked baby than my Zoe. I think we will try to get rid of them around 3 or so. I get sad just thinking about it though!!

The Bird said...

Oh my goodness..."My fwenz! Help, please! Help, please!" Those kinds of things break my heart, too! Before having my own kid I had a hard time understanding why some parents seemingly give in to their kids...I get it now (although I tend to stay strong and stick with my gut, knowing whatever I am doing is the best for her in the long run). Good job being strong, mama! She looks like she is doing a-okay! :)

Natasha said...

"My fwenz! Help, please! Help, please!" Okay, MY heart broke into a million little piece reading this.

However good job Clara and good job to you for doing it.