Background template

Monday, February 2, 2015

Sorry to disappoint, but this has nothing to do with Groundhog Day

You know those wonderfully lazy weekends when you have nothing on the calendar, showering is optional, and you start the week off feeling rested and relaxed? This was not one of those weekends. No, it was not exactly a recharge-your-batteries kind of weekend, but it was still a fun one, and hey, it always beats being at work/school, am I right?

My normally uneventful Friday afternoon was actually fairly packed with activity and ended up setting the tone for the rest of the weekend. Rather than my usual post-work trip to the grocery store, I met Brian for lunch at a super cute restaurant to celebrate (wait for it) FINALLY CLOSING ON OUR OLD HOUSE! Yep, that's right, the papers are signed and more importantly, the money is in our bank account, so hallelujah, we're free at last (from paying two mortgages)!

Anyway, lunch. It was delicious and child-free and in addition to a shameful amount of sweet potato fries, I also got one of these bad boys all to myself:


Oh, and here's a celebratory selfie from our celebratory lunch:

After sending Brian back to work, I went on my merry way and took dinner to one of my BFFs that just had a baby. Remember the pumpkin-themed baby shower I helped host back in the Fall? Well that little pumpkin made her debut!

Sweet little Campbell giving me the pirate eye

I took them these Tex Mex calzones and in case I haven't shared this recipe on the blog before, forgive me, because they are really tasty and not that hard to make (though admittedly Brian and I have had some of our more prolific kitchen arguments while making these, thanks in large part to the difficulty of working with pizza dough). But seriously, make them. And I also brought these snickerdoodle blondies, which you should make and consume as soon as possible as well.

After food-delivering and baby-ogling, the twins and I spent the remainder of the afternoon visiting with my SIL, Shannon. I didn't get any pics with her in it, so you'll just have to trust me when I say that she was in the room when this was taken:


Saturday proved no less busy, and because I knew there would be plenty going on, I decided to do one of those "photo an hour" blog posts on it, so stay tuned for that later this week. Highlights included consuming kolaches, lots of errand-running, a birthday party, and dinner with the Olivers at the Scibas' house (6 children, 6 adults, and plenty of chaos).

Swinging at the birthday party while Mommy hid inside inhaling chips and guacamole.

The members of the "big kid" table semi-patiently waiting for their pizza

I had to snap a pic of my sweet little introvert who managed to find a hiding spot to play in while the other 5 kids played with each other.

And then came Sunday, the alleged day of rest, which was thankfully the least busy part of the weekend, giving us a little time to unwind (read: watch more Gilmore Girls). After church/naps/playing, we met up with more friends to watch the Super Bowl (once again, 6 children, 6 adults, and plenty of chaos). 


Apparently we have a big time social eater on our hands. She was pretty much eating for the entire 2 hours that we were there. I spent so much time trying to keep her from double (and triple, and quadruple) dipping her chips that I didn't get to watch any of the (commercials during) the first half. First world parenting problem for sure.


Can you spot all 6 children (plus Brittnie)?

And so now we start the week, a little tired and several pounds heavier. But did I mention we sold our house? Because basically there's very little that can damper my spirits enough to get over that excitement for at least a few more weeks.

9 comments:

Brittnie said...

Y'all sure did have a very busy, but fun, weekend! And Brandon loved that Clara was eating non stop at our house! Made him a little over confident in his quesidilla making skills. . . :)

the blogivers said...

Hooray for closing on the house and hooray for getting to spend at least a little time together after a week of minimal contact!

Nelson Bartley said...

Tiny Boxwoods for lunch???
Yay on selling the house.

Natasha said...

YYYYYAAAAAAYYYYYY!!! Finally :)

I can't wait to read more about your Saturday.

Erika said...

WOOOOOO!!! Buh-bye extra house payment!! Whatever will you do with all your new riches?!? Think how much makeup you could buy every month with that money!!! (Yes, I SHOULD be a financial advisor, thank you for noticing!) Your extremely social weekend would definitely have exhausted me, so I don't blame Colby a bit for hiding in the corner!! ;)

Brittany Sciba said...

Is it sad that I didn't even know it was Groundhog Day? Oops! So glad we got to see you this weekend!! :) I love the picture of Colby in his hideout. Smart guy! ;)

Emily said...

Your Friday sounds absolutely glorious. And I totally salivated at that cookie. And the blondies. Clearly I'm hungry.

And I hear ya on the social eater! Aaron's only major meltdown over Christmas was that he wasn't allowed to devour the cheese platter that was set out as an appetizer for the adults. I say be proud that your kid eats at all. ;)

Allena said...

Coongrats on selling your house. I can't imagine how stressful that has been. It must feel like (or will feel like) you got the biggest raise!

Aubrey said...

Yay for closing on your old house, and for only one mortgage!! Woohoo!!