Background template

Friday, February 13, 2015

Less depressing thoughts from a working mom

So when I shared this blog post on Wednesday, I totally should have included a caveat: while I do relate to the isolation that sometimes comes with being a working mom, I don't necessarily share in the author's somewhat mopey perspective.

Believe it or not, I actually enjoy being a working mom most of the time, but being that most of my friends are stay-at-home moms, it is easy to feel sorry for myself from time to time, and even to feel left out. I will clarify, though, that I don't typically feel left out because my SAHM friends don't include me; but rather, I'm simply not able to participate in a lot of the activities they do and therefore can't always relate to what they're experiencing.

On the flip side, that also means I don't have to deal with some of the same struggles that they do, like never having any time to myself or having hourly fights about things like wearing shoes or not drawing on the carpet. As a working mom friend and I were recently discussing, the grass really is always greener and I don't think there's any perfect option (but as she mentioned, staying at home and having a part-time nanny sounds pretty darn perfect).

Anyway, I found another blog post floating around facebook yesterday that shared some of the pros of being a working mom (specifically as it pertains to having your kids in daycare), and as a bonus, it was also much more upbeat! So I now share with you: My Kid Goes to Daycare {And I Don't Feel Bad About It}.

I especially like the last point about how taking your child to daycare helps you let go of control. This is really true with any childcare or school situation, but when your child is under someone else's care 45 hours a week, it takes it to a different extreme.

And so with that, I'll conclude this Friday the 13th/day before Valentine's Day post that has nothing to do with either one. Happy heart day weekend to you all!

Throwback pic from the Mother's Day celebration at daycare last year

The twins' new teacher is great about sharing pictures and videos of them with me on facebook- here's a collage she made of Clara a few weeks ago!

Colby's a little more minimalistic with his art

9 comments:

the blogivers said...

Agree that the grass is always greener - you and I are good examples of that. Good thing all 4 of our kiddos are happy in their respective situations!

Emily said...

I love this post! (Of course I would.) And I do love the article. I especially like the line: "I quickly found, though, that I started feeling guilty about not feeling guilty that we put him in daycare." Yup, it happens! Again, a perfect world may not include daycare, but we don't live in a perfect world and in the meantime, we have good daycares who take care of our littles. :)

Aubrey said...

Love this! Being a working mom has recently been very tough on me.... For the millionth time, I have no idea how you do it, and how you do it with such grace :)!!

Erika said...

LOVE this article!!! It is much more my experience. And I really do hate how people react to 'she goes to daycare' with this pity and sadness...please just don't. We're happy. Don't try to make me feel guilty about something I don't feel guilt over. Anyway, I'm so glad to have you as a fellow working mom friend who gets it!!

Brittnie said...

Thanks for sharing this article. I really enjoyed it! Also, I am now understanding the concept of how releasing your child into the 30 or so hours a week of full time school really helps you (aka me) give up some control issues. Been handing over my control this week for sure as Clara has transitioned to her new school!!

Brittany Sciba said...

Thanks for sharing! I love how you can see the difference in C&C's personalities through their artwork! :)

kayla Agan said...

Now I'm loving this SAHM with a nanny concept!! And sometimes when I hear about working moms who have a day off but still get to take the kids to daycare I feel pity and sadness for myself! Ha! The grass is always greener....I'm glad you don't feel "guilty"! Kids love the life they know and are used to!

Natasha said...

As someone who has been a SAHM for the past (almost) four years, I really appreciated the first article you posted about working moms. I find where I live there are fewer SAHM's and I feel like I now know how to be a better friend to my working mom friends.

And I love the difference between Colby and Clara's artwork!

Katie Jeanne said...

Great articles! Thanks for sharing :)