Background template

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Start 'em young

I was relieved to hear that so many of you were able to relate to my last post! I'm relieved that Michelle Duggar didn't read it and try to convince me that I'm missing out. And that she didn't try to convince me of the benefits of wearing full-length denim skirts on a regular basis.

Anyway, in case you're wondering just how heavily this whole what-to-do-with-our-frozen-embryos-and-when-to-do-it has been weighing on my mind, you should know that I recently dreamed that I offered some of them (the embryos) to my high school Homecoming date. For some strange reason, he politely declined, so I decided to take a trip to the fertility clinic (along with my co-worker and her cousins) to go ahead and have two of the embryos transferred... without telling Brian. Good choices all around, I'd say.

Now back to the children that aren't currently frozen: yesterday was their first trip to the dentist! It seemed a little silly to me to take them this young, but all of the other toddler moms were doing it so I felt obligated. Plus, I figured it was good to go ahead and get into the habit of taking them regularly now rather than later.

The appointment started off a little rocky since Colby and Clara both seem to assume that any time we go to a new place, we plan to leave them there and abandon them forever. Clara made a great first impression on the office staff by throwing herself on the floor when I refused to take her outside:


Thankfully they warmed up once we got inside the office, due in large part to the presence of stuffed animals. The dentist was really friendly and gave us a good report on both of the munchkins' mouths (which he was able to see very clearly, thanks to their screaming). He even told us that Clara's pacifier use was not a concern and that it was fine as long as she got rid of them by age FOUR. I'm glad she couldn't understand what he was saying and won't try to use it as leverage when we do cut the cord (or more accurately, the tips of her "fwenz") in the very near future. 



We were sent on our way with water bottles (for the adults), stickers, bouncy balls, balloons, toothbrushes, toothpaste, AND these keepsake magnets that truly show the joy and excitement that the twins experienced at their first trip to the dentist:



I think you'll agree that McKayla Maroney has nothing on these two.

11 comments:

Brittnie said...

So what you're saying is I don't need to feel guilty that my 2.5 year old still uses a pacifier??? Hooray!! My goal is to nix it at age 3. . . but now that I know I have some wiggle room. . . :)

Brittany Sciba said...

Hooray for the dentist! I love the magnets! :)

the blogivers said...

Both magnets are keepers for sure! Here's to hoping all future dentist appointments are as uneventful as that one!

Emily said...

We should do this but I've been procrastinating because I'm terrified! So questions:
1. Did you take them to a kid-specific dentist? Apparently they are a thing that I was unaware of, but curious if they were worth it, in your opinion.
2. How did you keep them in the chair (amidst the screaming)? I have to body-clutch Aaron through haircuts to avoid escape, so I can't imagine how a dentist visit would go.
I'm soooo impressed!

Beth said...

Mateo also thinks I'm going to leave him anytime we go anywhere new. He now screams anytime we go into the pediatrician's office so I fear the dentist will be similar. Thanks for sharing the good news about pacifiers!! Another reason to not have a 3rd baby... I'd never be able to get mateo to drop the paci habit!

Aubrey said...

Ha ha!! Your Duggar full length jean skirt comment totally made me laugh! And I'm glad the kids' mouths are in good shape! :)

Sharon Woods said...

I couldn't agree with that message more. The earlier your kids are oriented into taking good care of their oral health, the easier it is they are adjusted to it. That is often a struggle for grown-ups these days, so a good start is really formidable. Kudos and all the best to you!

Sharon Woods @ Falls Park Dentistry

kayla Agan said...

I can't get mine to let me brush their teeth!!! How often do you brush the twins teeth!? We try every night but it's truly anyone's guess as to if it worked or not! I'm scared to take them!

Jenn said...

Yeah, we still haven't made it to the dentist yet. Oops! I'm thinking maybe once they're three.

Natasha said...

Will you please wear a full length denim skirt once and post a picture?!?!?

And I loved the line, "And back to the children that aren't currently frozen..." Ha ha ha!!!

Karen Perry said...

It is actually great to bring them to the dentist as early as possible. It’s a good practice, and you’ll be able to monitor their teeth’s health at an early stage. Anyway, it’s nice to know that the kids had a great first appointment. Thanks for sharing this experience with us. All the best!


Karen Perry @ Brookside Dental Care