Background template

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

My 2015 non-resolutions

So I am not really a resolution-ist. Sometimes I set a goal or two at the beginning of the year, but I don't like to try things that I'm likely not to be successful at doing, so I typically aim pretty low. Admirable, right? If you don't believe me, then you should know that two of my favorite non-resolutions from years past were (1) to stop swallowing my gum and (2) do more math in my head rather than relying on the calculator. I was successful at one of them but I'll leave you to guess which one it was.

From 2010-2012, my annual non-resolution was simply (ha!) to get pregnant. And then in 2013 and 2014, my non-resolution was simply (ha!) to keep two infants alive. Now that those infants are toddlers and creeping their way (VERY SLOWLY) toward some (VERY TINY) semblance of self-sufficiency, I figured it's safe for me to aim a little higher. But the emphasis is on "a little."

In hopes of obtaining some accountability (but mostly so that these are written down somewhere other than on my phone), allow me to share with you some of my non-resolutions with you for 2015:

1. Lift weights at least 1x/week.
I don't have a gym membership and my workout time is limited, so if you have any quick at-home weight routines, please share. Oh, and all I have is one set of 3-pound weights, one set of 5-pound weights, a resistance band, and two 25ish-pound toddlers, so I have to work with that.

2. Stop cussing.
I am embarrassed to admit to this one, because quite frankly, I enjoy maintaining my appearance as a straight-laced goody goody. But I have been feeling very convicted about my language and in the interest of keeping it real, I'm sharing it. I honestly don't cuss very often in my everyday speech, BUT I have a bad habit of slipping when I lose my temper, and let's just say that having children has resulted in me losing my temper... um... constantly.

Also in the interest of disclosure, I already failed at this on January 2nd when Clara hit me in the eye with a book (yes, on purpose). Thank God that His mercies are new every morning, am I right?



3. Go to a Girls' Night Out movie.
I haven't seen a movie in a theater since February 2013 (Silver Linings Playbook during our mini-babymoon), so this is a loftier goal than you might realize. But with movies like Titanic, Clueless, and You've Got Mail on the list, how could I not commit to this? Allison has already agreed to join me, so anyone else in?

4. Eat a meal alone with Brian at least 2x/month.
I think I've stated before that I'm not a huge fan of the term "date night," but I am a fan of the concept of spending time alone together on purpose. We have not been great at doing that since the twins were born, but since we have better access to (free!) babysitters than we did for the first year of their life, I want to be better at taking advantage.

And I also want to be better at taking advantage of the not-free-but-already-paid-for childcare that we have during weekdays and plan some time together during lunch breaks, Friday afternoons when I'm off work, etc.

5. Find a regular doctor and get a basic physical.
As you're all well aware, I spent a LOT of time at doctors' offices in the years leading up to the twins' birth. So you better believe I've enjoyed taking a hiatus from doing so for the past 1.5 years. However, now that I'd like my body to function for purposes other than reproducing, I think it would be wise to get a basic check-up to see where I stand.

6. Get involved in some form or fashion at church.
We've been visiting a church for the past year or so, and while we still aren't 100% sure that we want to become members there, we're hoping to plant our roots there or elsewhere soon. And once we do, I'd like to actually get plugged in, whether that be joining a small group, volunteering, or something of the like. Much like #5 wherein doctor-overkill resulted in a doctor-hiatus, being on staff at a church for the first several years of our marriage resulted in a being-fully-involved-at-church hiatus. And it would be great to remedy that.


So there you go! Like I said, nothing lofty, but all very achievable and beneficial to my overall physical/mental/spiritual/emotional well-being. Feel free to harass me about any of the above as the year continues, and feel free to share some of your non-resolutions in the comments!

11 comments:

the blogivers said...

You go, girl! I'll be sure to call you out anytime I see you slacking on any of these, like the good sister that I am.

Brittnie said...

I don't have any weight lifting routines for you since, let's be real, I don't lift weights. BUT I do love a good movie and/or girls night so I can totally help you out by committing to your "Go to a girls night out movie" non resolution. Except if you choose Titanic I am not sure I can remain true to my commitment. Titanic overkill in middle school = Titanic hiatus for the rest of my life. :)

Katy said...

I hate to be annoying and leave work out advice, but the hubs has been doing these TMAC workouts for a while now with good results. They are done at home, with absolutely no equipment necessary and only 20 MINUTES! He loves the convenience and the fact that he doesn't have to use a bunch of stuff to do it. He just goes to Youtube and types in "TMAC Fitness." They are free and there are lots to chose from.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tmac+fitness

Let's be honest....I don't do them because I am lazy and they are hard, but it could be helpful to somebody who actually desires to work out ;)

Enjoy your dinners and movies this year!! :)

Beth said...

I'll go to a Girls' Night movie with you! Hope they're early because I'm notorious for falling asleep. I need to resolve to stop cussing too, especially since I have a little parrot! All great goals! I'm trying to be more organized and stay on top of cleaning my house... Blah. But I'm not calling it a resolution. Just coincides with the new year. I need to start exercising again. Stat. I have no desire to get a physical! The well woman visit is more than enough for me ;)

Emily said...

I love your "lofty" non-resolutions! Mine have always been "lose weight." Ha.
1. Considering I hate weights, I think this is aiming very high! Go for it!
2. I'm terrible at this as well but have not yet felt the pressure to clean it up YET... that is, until Aaron repeats a word, and then I'll totally go cold turkey.
3. Girl's Night Out looks AWESOME. So jealous.
4. I always regret not taking advantage of this when we were able to so enjoy!
5. I look forward to my annual physical because I like the doctor telling me I'm healthy. I feel like I should get a gold star or something.
6. This goal is my favorite. It's totally doable and I think you'll get the most out of it. :)

Erika said...

Ummm...I haven't even been to my annual checkup in like...I dunno, 3 years? Once we quit going to the RE...I never got back in the swing of going to the regular OBGYN. Oops. I keep saying I'll go once I lose a few pounds, so...that's a good incentive to not lose a few pounds! And I think you should definitely take advantage of lunch break dates- Matt and I do that (well, every day...but we always have for as long as I've worked here) and it's so nice to have that time together (even though we just talk about Millie the whole time...and today our date will be to the daycare to visit her...). We haven't had a post-5 p.m. 'date night' yet (or even wanted it, ha!), but maybe that day will come...but until then, the lunch dates work out nicely!

Allena said...

I agree about making non-lofty goals. My main one is to take more pictures of us as a family. 2014: pictures of kids - 1 bajillion, pictures as a family of 4 - 2. Womp womp.

Abby said...

I frequently tell my own mother that I never cussed this much... until I became a mother! There is just something about it. Kudos to you for making a goal before someone copycats you!


This is not a weight routine so technically it doesn't help you with your goal, but have you ever done a deck of cards work out? You can either do reds as push ups and blacks as squats or choose one action per suite. Flip a card over and do that many reps of the action. No weights needed, but dang... your arms and legs will be killing you. (I did it Monday and my arms still feel like jello, which is attributed to the work out and how out of shape I am.) Just thought I would pass it along because you can do it with little ones and it's quick!

Brittany Sciba said...

I think these are all great non-resolutions! Also, you know I completely agree on hating the term "date night". :)

Courtney Squillante said...

And #7- have a Xi kappa and babies play date! :)

Natasha said...

I'm impressed by all your non-resolutions. I am going to join you on the cussing one and the get a physical one. I haven't had a physical in a year and a half so it's time.

And yeah, my language also deteriorates when I lose my temper. Which is more often with young kids.

And once Rachel is in school full-time starting in September, I am totally going to plan on eating lunch with Dave once in awhile. That is an awesome idea!