Background template

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Christmas from a new perspective

As I'm sure many parents can attest, your perspective of Christmas changes once you have children. There are the obvious reasons: you're the one buying the presents, stuffing the stockings, arranging visits with Santa, establishing traditions, and generally responsible for ensuring that your kids think of Christmas as being as wonderful as you remember it being as a child.

And then there is the less obvious, but equally overwhelming shift in perspective: suddenly, you are all too aware of what the original Christmas must have been like for two major players - Joseph and Mary. Yes, there is the ability to relate to the fact that they had to go through the same anticipation that comes along with pregnancy and eventually welcoming a child into the world. But then there is the ongoing realization that after Jesus was born, these people were parents to this little boy (who just happened to be the son of God... minor detail).

I wouldn't venture to say that the whole story of Christmas and Jesus coming to earth as a real, live little boy with two parents entrusted to take care of him (um, and I think raising the twins is a lot of responsibility) is any more significant to me now that I'm a parent, but I guess it has just taken on a new meaning. Anyway, I'm sure some of you can relate and so I just wanted to share two of my favorite (non-traditional) Christmas songs that have brought this home for me:

(Sorry for the cheesy, lyric-printed music videos)

"You're Here" by Francesca Battistelli


"Joseph's Lullaby" by MercyMe

And as a bonus, my (likely along with every female child of the 80s) favorite:

"Breath of Heaven (Mary's Song)" by Amy Grant

6 comments:

Brittany Sciba said...

I LOVE You're Here! I cry every time I hear it! Merry Christmas!

Erika said...

Haaaaaa you just put an Amy Grant video on your blog. Haaaaa. I love you.

the blogivers said...

Somehow I had never actually listened to the words of "Joseph's Lullaby" even though I love that song - glad you pointed them out to this dummy!

Emily said...

Late to the party per usual, but I have to say that "Breath of Heaven" is one of my FAVIRUTE songs because my mom loved Amy Grant and played her Christmas albums nonstop. Ironically, my dad hated the song and called it "depressing" so the song brings back both fond memories and amusing memories of my parents arguing over Christmas music. (Because what is Christmas if not arguing over music?)

Natasha said...

I just watched all these videos and, after watching "Breath Of Heaven," I am amazed, again, at the nativity story. I also love how Mary and Joseph are looking at the Wise Men with a lot of confusion and disbelief. Like, don't you know these are weird baby gifts, people?!? :)

Thank you for sharing these.

Brittnie said...

Amy Grant!! Reminds me of my childhood!!!!