Background template

Monday, December 29, 2014

Another Christmas come and gone

Because I'm sure no one else thought to do the same, allow me to share with you the Joiner family's Christmas 2014 recap:

We spent the 23rd-25th at Brian's grandparents' ranch in La Grange. The twins are the only grandchildren on Brian's side of the family, so as you can imagine, it's safe to say they were the center(s) of attention for the duration of our stay. There was no shortage of attention, gifts, sugar, or new (un-childproofed) territory to explore and they loved every second of it. 

December 23rd: This is when much of the exploring occurred. And once everyone arrived with their cars full of wrapped gifts, things got really interesting, because guess which two toddlers were intent on carrying them around/opening them/destroying them?











I know, seriously ugly scenery we had to deal with, right?

Christmas Eve: more exploring, more playing, more eating, and lots of picture-taking, thanks to Brian's generous sister. After putting out cookies for Santa and tucking the twins in bed, we also convinced his family to play Cards Against Humanity that evening, and though some were hesitant at first, we all laughed ourselves to tears before the game was over. I also had the privilege explaining what several of the terms meant to my in-laws (Brian's grandmother included) and I think they were all both impressed and disturbed to find out how much I knew, ha!






It's too bad we had already sent out Christmas cards before this gem was taken:



Wait, maybe not.







Christmas: Presents... so many presents! Santa thankfully got the memo that we had traveled to the ranch, so he graciously brought the twins' something(s) you want/need/wear/read with him (ok, he actually left the "something you want" back at our house because it was too big, but we'll cut him some slack on that). Brian's family also apparently got the memo because they very generously and thoughtfully spoiled the twins rotten (in the best way possible)!






This toy Dyson vacuum cleaner from Mimi and Granddaddy was a huge hit and has since caused many a twin fight (the true sign of a good gift)!

That would be Colby's reaction once we let Clara have a turn with the vacuum. Surely they'll be having the same kind of battles over the actual vacuum cleaner in years to come?


Owl jammies for the win!!


After much-needed naps, we headed back home to unpack, and the twins were excited to find their main gift from Santa:



Don't worry, the Christmas celebrations didn't stop there (and neither did the pictures). We spent the 26th-28th celebrating with my family here in Sugar Land, and once again, the food, attention, and gifts abounded. It rained most of the time, which meant a lot of indoor lounging, and miraculously, none of us really went stir crazy. I guess that when there are 7 adults and 4 children running around, there's enough entertainment to keep things from getting stale.



You'll see the twins' new play kitchen in the background (a gift from Franny & Pop Pop), also a big hit!


First time we got to entertain with our Christmas dishes!

That guy in the middle would be my older brother, Andrew. I talk so much about Allison that some of you don't even realize we have two other siblings: Andrew and our older sister, Elizabeth!

Amongst their toys and books, Colby and Clara also received a bunch of new clothes and - my favorite - jammies! I love these Hanna Andersson jammies almost as much as I love this picture of 3 of my most favorite people in the world.

My family has all headed back home now so our house is once again just occupied with our little family unit. I'm sad that all of the concentrated family time is over (and let's be honest, sad that all of the concentrated eating time is over), but looking forward to getting back into our routine. I just wish that routine didn't mean waking up at the crack of dawn and heading back to work/daycare today. Woe is me.

Here's to hoping that the transition back to real life goes smoothly for us (and all of you) today! And even if it doesn't, at least we have New Year's Eve/Day to hold us over for a bit, right?

7 comments:

the blogivers said...

So many good pics from Shannon! I have high hopes this will take some of the pressure off me for pics from now on ;)

Brittnie said...

Y'all took some great pictures!! Loved seeing all of them. Let's please get together soon mmmmkay? Maybe play date or another GNO at Los Tios???

Brittany Sciba said...

It looks like a wonderful Christmas to me! I agree, Shannon got some great pictures! Also, I love your Christmas dishes!

Emily said...

1. LOVE Cards Against Humanity. We got it as a gift for my in-laws this year. And while I am totally psyched to play with them, I think we'll be sticking with Apples-to-Apples with my parents.
2. Jealous of your Christmas dishes. I so need to get a set.
3. Yay for Hanna Anderson jammies!!!! Super cute patterns too!

Erika said...

OMG. I'm curling up in the fetal position as I imagine playing Cards against Humanity with either my parents or in-laws. YIKES. You are brave. Look like such a happy Christmas- and those pictures your SIL took are amaaaazing!!!

Aubrey said...

Looks and sounds like such a fun Christmas!

Natasha said...

1) The Kubota tractor makes me homesick for my parents' house where the kids pretty much ride that thing (with my dad) the entire time.

2) Your Christmas owl pjs are way classier than mine. I love them!

3) That picture of Clara about to kiss (or eat) your nose is ADORABLE!

4) I'm impressed you have Christmas dishes. We broke out the Fiestaware for Christmas and that felt special :)

5) Yesterday was the first day in eleven days that Dave was back at work AND my parents weren't here. It was an interesting day! Yay for back to reality?!?!