Background template

Monday, October 20, 2014

Pumpkins and such

I'm going to be honest: this weekend was not perfect. In fact, many parts of it were pretty darn irritating and I lost my temper with my husband, my children, and several inanimate objects more times than I can remember. But thankfully, even this glass-mostly-empty kind of gal can admit that even the most imperfect weekends have enjoyable moments sandwiched in between the moments when you want to run away from home.

(And in case any of you are fretting that anything major went legitimately wrong, the answer would be no. But some of us get really bent out of shape when things don't go according to plan, and simple things like uncooperative weather, whiny children, and inexplicable 5:45 am toddler wake-ups can easily ruin a day or two.)

ANYWAY. 

The pumpkin patch was hot and there was no shade and it was humid and the pumpkin set-ups were not photo-worthy and the children were acting like wild banshees, BUT we made the most of it and hit up the local pumpkin display at HEB to get some pictures. Yes, we took our requisite pumpkin pictures at a grocery store. And we didn't even buy any after we were finished. But when your sister has a fancy pants camera and the main subjects are as cute as these, the setting doesn't really matter, now does it?

I know, seriously, right? 

You wouldn't know it from these pictures, but genetically, these kids are half siblings!





Nope, he is not, in fact, cross-eyed.

Oh, how I miss the days when a fake sneeze was all it took to get these two to smile on command.

I was generally in a foul mood for the rest of the morning and already very exhausted from Clara's early morning antics, BUT we did get in a walk to the Shipley's nearby and the twins were really pumped about their donut holes. And Clara was so tired that she couldn't seem to find the motivation to finish chewing up and swallowing this one.


The Aggies were beaten to a pulp, therefore putting my husband in a very lousy mood, and I was fairly certain I was going to voluntarily ask CPS to come pick up my children just to relieve me from the responsibility of parenting, BUT because we were losing so terribly, Brian didn't mind getting out of the house, which meant we got to enjoy a Mexican food outing to Lopez with the Cruikshanks. 

We were running behind before church on Sunday morning and I was snapping at everyone and insisted we didn't have time to stop to get Brian coffee even though we really did, BUT I really enjoyed the service and we got to eat pumpkin pancakes for breakfast. 

The twins took a decent nap, we spent some time playing at the Olivers' house, we visited the pet store, we checked out a new (to us) playground, and ate dinner at Smashburger for a total of less than $15, so I would say Sunday afternoon/evening was a win!

And now it's Monday, and no matter how the weekend went, I know I'll be sad when I head into work this morning and my crazy little family and I all head our separate ways. 

6 comments:

the blogivers said...

Soon we will be less busy over here getting the house fixed up and we can do more to prevent the weekends from being worthy of running away from home! Except for the random 5:45 wake-up thing... can't help you there.

Allena said...

I think Colby and Avery have the same nose? It is nuts to think (or at least for me) that they are all half-siblings! The pumpkin patch pics errr grocery store pics are too cute!

Brittnie said...

Y'all got some great pics!

Sorry about the crazy weekend. I say we really do plan that Los Tios happy hour mmmmmkay?

Brittany Sciba said...

I'm glad your weekend had lots of great moments in the midst of the frustrating ones! Love the pumpkin pictures!!

Erika said...

I'm impressed with the HEB's pumpkin display! That's pretty sweet! And I'd say that buying groceries regularly certainly means you can have a free photo shoot there with the pumpkins. Sorry for the other not-fun things...like the score of the A&M game...HAHAHAHA. Sorry. But my dad was like...distraught. And I just couldn't stop laughing.

Natasha said...

Thank you for being honest that sometimes life is not all fun and games and we are grumpy because our children wake up way too early and we really wish someone else would parent them for awhile.