Background template

Thursday, October 16, 2014

My day as a stay-at-home-aunt

So did y'all hear that my twin sister moved less than a mile away from me? Probably not, because I'm sure I haven't mentioned it much. But despite my silence on the subject (ha, as if I'm silent on any subject), I'm pretty pumped about it. SO pumped that I took a vacation day on Tuesday to hang out with her and her kiddos and help them get settled.

I don't know how much help I actually was, but I enjoyed getting to take a day off of work and have a glimpse into what life is like as a SAHM. I even got a cake pop along with Davis when Allison made her daily completely sporadic Starbucks run.

From my limited stint as a stay-at-home-aunt, I can attest to the following:

1. It was a very long day.

2. It was an exhausting day.

3. According to FitBit, I took a lot more steps than I do on normal weekdays (like 4,500 more).

4. I found myself wanting to sit around and eat, both out of boredom at some points ("Curious George" episodes are ok the first time around, but get old quickly thereafter) and as a response to stressful situations at other points. I guess #3 balances this one out and prevents SAHMs from weighing 500 pounds?

Props to you, SAHMs, for enduring the hardest (albeit the most rewarding) job there is, day in and day out. And props to you for staying sane, because I know it can't be easy. But hanging out with kids this cute sure must help ;)

7 comments:

the blogivers said...

Thanks again for spending a "vacation" day to do something that is way less fun than taking an actual vacation! :)

Erika said...

Do you smoke crack? Curious George episodes are NOT okay the first time around or ever. I hate CG with a passion normally reserved for things that matter...

In other news, I think that the SAHM=more steps must not come until the kids are older or toddlers. I'm finding the exact opposite to be true with Millie right now. I bet I take about 39 steps the entire day unless I take the initiative to go on a walk or something. SO MUCH SLUGISHNESS. Maybe I need a bigger house so that I get more exercise walking between rooms...

Brittany Sciba said...

You are such a wonderful aunt and sister!! :)

Natasha said...

I don't go insane being a SAHM because I blog and read blogs. It helps to know that there are other parents out there going through similar things.

Also, preschool helps a lot!

Aubrey said...

You and your sis are so lucky to have one another- as are your kiddos!

kayla Agan said...

I have a "completely sporadic" Starbucks run each day too! One of my daily highlights I must say!! And I agree, being a 95% SAHM and 5% working mom, I literally sink into my desk chair as if it's a little vacation where I can actually SIT! But good thing, because I am a stress eater to the max and could totally be that 500 pound mom if it weren't for toddler chasing!!

Brittnie said...

Your such a great sister!

Also, I laughed at Erika's comment. Now that Clara is running around the house and Camille is crawling all over the place, I am convinced I never have to work out again. Ever.