Background template

Friday, October 24, 2014

Bitty Baby

Let me go ahead and get the excuses out of the way by stating that it has been a very busy week! I had a lot going on at work and my mom was in town visiting, so all of my evenings (aka: blogging time) have been occupied.

Relatedly (not that this is an excuse but more so a declaration of my lack of self-control), I have been majorly stuffing my face this week. Tortilla chips, cookies, Halloween candy, you name it. So maybe for Halloween, I will be a diabetic. That should impress all of the neighborhood trick-or-treaters, right?

All I really have to share with you is an introduction to a major source of entertainment in our house as of late: Bitty Baby. Bitty Baby is the baby version of an American Girl doll and my mom got Clara one for Christmas last year. (Um, how did I not know that they sell Bitty Twins?!) (And, um, how annoying is the word "bitty?")

The twins had generally not taken notice of the doll for the past 18 months (although you can see Brian using it here to lure Colby to crawl for the first time), but recently discovered her in the toy box. Clara is sweet with her, occasionally giving her a kiss and giving her a pacifier, but loses interest in her quickly.

And as for Colby's initial reaction? Well let's take a look:


I know, we are awesome and compassionate parents, right? This type of interaction went on for a day or two, and then gradually he started treating it as a game where he'd want us to chase him with the baby and he'd laugh and give her a hug. And then before we knew it, a friendship had blossomed...


Now as soon as he wakes up, he sleepily asks, "Bay-bee?" and requests her presence periodically throughout the day. Don't get me wrong- this guy still very passionately loves his "guh-guhs" (dump trucks) and "beep-beeps" (cars), but I can appreciate that he's staying in touch with his sensitive side ;)

Any unexpected toys become favorites at your house?

9 comments:

the blogivers said...

Sweet guy. The little stuffed sock monkey that caused a marital dispute and then came to be one of Davis's favorite sleeping companions was an unexpected favorite at our house!

NN Bartley said...

Austin's first word was "Baby" when he saw a doll at the store. Those boys do have a sensitive side...
Maybe he has seen one of the umpteen million scary movies where the doll comes to life? And then kills you? That would make me a little nervous around dolls, too.

Erika said...

Haaaa that is hilarious!!! I love how yall chased him into a corner (or a wall, anyway) at first- classic!!!

Katie Jeanne said...

I love bitty babies and now I think my little guy needs one :) Thanks for sharing the fun videos!

Brittnie said...

That is awesome! And I mean that in the nicest way possible!!

Brittany Sciba said...

For some reason I can't get the video to play!! :( But the picture of him with the doll is so cute!! I love that he has a sensitive side! He will be a great dad someday just like his own daddy!

The Bird said...

Oh, Colby! Ha! Two of my nieces have bitty babies (one of my SILs went out and bought them for both girls because she ALWAYS wanted an American Girl Doll and never got one). I agree with Colby's initial reaction in that video...I think they are some of the ugliest baby dolls I have ever seen! Maybe Clara's is cuter (hopefully!) but I don't see the appeal. I am glad that Colby is no longer afraid/appalled by the unfortunate bitty baby, though :)

Aubrey said...

Omg that picture! I die!

Natasha said...

I wonder if he thought Bitty Baby was his newest sibling and expressing his displeasure. I'm also glad that I'm not the only parent who finds my kids' reactions to thing amusing sometimes. Especially if the kids' responses are not being amused :)

Ironically, one of my captcha words is 'respect.' Maybe Google thinks I need some :)