Background template

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Work trip

So you know what's really exciting? I get to leave on a work trip to Chicago this afternoon and will be gone until late Friday night.

I get to fly on an airplane alone, during which time I will be able to read actual books.

I get to sleep in a quiet hotel room alone with no video monitor next to my bed.

I get to eat several meals in a row without having to pick up any sippy cups or wipe down any high chairs.

I get to sleep in until 7 am and the only person I have to get dressed and out the door is myself.

I will change zero diapers.

I will clean out zero food containers.

I will not have to load anyone in/out of a car seat.

I will not have to pick up any Cheerios off the floor.

I will not have to clean up any toys before I go to bed.

And I know all of this should make me really excited because- hello? - what mom doesn't want a break every now and then? But - cliche sappy mom alert - I'm also a little bummed about the whole thing. This is the longest I've ever been away from the twins, and even the longest I've been away from Brian in multiple years.

I will miss 3 bedtimes and 2 wake-ups.

I won't have anyone to sing to and rock before bed.

I won't have anyone to smile and run toward me when I get off of work.

I won't have anyone climbing into my lap every time I sit down (or at least I hope not, because that would be kind of awkward at a training session full of strangers).

I won't have anyone trying to share their snack with me (half-chewed Cheerios included).

There won't be anyone grinning at me from across the dinner table.

No one will cry when I leave to go to work in the morning.

I won't get to tuck anyone in before I go to sleep.

I know it will fly by, and I'll do my best to make the most of it, but I'm going to miss my babies and their daddy.

(Oh, and speaking of their daddy, best of luck to Brian in handling solo parenting for a couple of days. I know he is more than capable of handling it, but I also know he will be exhausted and ready for me to return!)

12 comments:

Aubrey said...

Awwww, this kills me... Especially because I have a 3 day work trip to MN two weeks after I return to work and it's already giving me so much anxiety :(. Good luck Mama- can't wait to hear how it goes!

Erika said...

Awwww I don't blame you for being sad!!! Maybe some FaceTime while you enjoy room service and real fall weather (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) will make it a little better??! Have fun enjoying the good parts of work travel. See if you can arrange for your next work trip to be to Atlanta!! (Then I can take care of the 'person grinning across the dinner table' and 'sharing snacks' and MAYBE even 'climbing in your lap' (if there are enough margs involved...))

Brittnie said...

Kudos for Brian for holding down the fort while you are away! Brandon will be sure and deliver a case of St. Arnolds in the near future!! Ha!

Hope your trip goes well and, despite some sadness, you can fully enjoy some solo time!

the blogivers said...

Agreed with Erika - hopefully you can FaceTime?! I know you will miss all 3 of them, but I'm sure a couple of days away will be good for you!!

Amanda said...

I don't blame you not one bit for feeling a little bummed about being away. But here's hoping you enjoy the break, are able catch up on a little sleep, and the time flies by. Have a safe trip!!

Abby said...

Totally get the mixed feelings about leaving your babies.... but I hope it's so good you have mom guilt for not missing them more while you're gone ;)

Amanda said...

It's pretty amazing to me that anyone can do work trips... the idea of flying by myself to a city by myself is just more than I can handle. Corporate world is not for me! Hoping you can enjoy your flight and find something fun to do (pedicure?) that you wouldn't normally get to do at home! Maybe Jennie Sasser has some tips as she travels a lot!

hollie marie said...

Yay! You'll have such a good time! I just got home from a kid-free sister weekend... it was awesome and refreshing and made me miss my little buddy like I miss oxygen underwater. Enjoy your trip!

Brittany Sciba said...

This was sweet!! You can do it and hopefully even enjoy it a little bit! :) Also, Erika's comment made me laugh!

Courtney Squillante said...

Aww! This is so sweet! Good luck mommy (and daddy!)!

Natasha said...

For the first half of your blog post I was so excited with you and then the second half of your blog post came. Now I'm just sad.

I hope your trip is awesome and goes faster than you can imagine.

Allena said...

I was away for 1 night and felt the same way. It was so nice to just have me to take care of but sad too!