Background template

Monday, September 22, 2014

We survived!

My trip went by fairly quickly, but you'll all be a little disappointed to learn that during my short stint in Chicago, the only places I went were the airport, my hotel, and the conference center. I'm independent and resourceful enough to travel to a big city alone and get where I need to be, but not enough to socialize and explore on my own. At least I know my limitations, right?

Relatedly, the purpose of the training I was attending was to become certified to interpret the results of one of the personality assessments we administer to our new hires at work. As a bonus, I got to re-take the assessment myself and see a very in-depth profile explaining my results. Some of them were mildly concerning (and I quote, "she may personalize discussion and dissent, so that her hostility is directed away from the issue and toward those who disagree with her.") while others were amusing, if not completely obvious, especially to all of you ("She is probably very comfortable revealing personal information to a wide range of people.")

Nonetheless, it was an interesting exercise and probably some much-needed time for introspection, even if it did leave me feeling like a high-strung, over-sharing mess :)

As expected, Brian handled solo twin duty like a champ, and was kind enough to FaceTime me for bedtime, bath time, and wake-ups. The twins honestly didn't seem to notice I was gone, and while they were happy to see me on FaceTime, I think they could have gone the entire 3 days without seeing my face and been just fine. Nice to know you're dispensable, right?

Chatting after dinner one evening

Here's the only picture I took while in Chicago… this was during my 3-hour wait at the airport before my flight home on Friday. Don't I look excited?


I didn't get home until 11 pm on Friday and was pleasantly surprised to find out that the Olivers had decided to come in town early and were waiting for me when I got home (and by waiting, I mean dancing in the driveway when I pulled in, because what else would they be doing?). They had some last minute items to tend to before the big move (just a few weeks away!!!!!!!!!!), so we got to enjoy some more quality time together while they were here.

I entertained Davis on Saturday while the twins slept and Allison, Wade, and Avery met the painters at the new house. (Also, you should know that I actually got turned around (which is a nice way of saying I GOT LOST) during the .7-mile drive home from their new house. I'm really awesome with directions, if you didn't know.)

Our friend, Michael, turned 3 on Saturday afternoon and the twins had a great time at his party, which was actually held at the church where Davis will be going to preschool. Indoor playscape + fish tanks everywhere = we will be going back for sure!



And my favorite (courtesy of Allison)…

After naps, Mexican food, and a few more errands, it was bedtime for the kiddos (aka: football time for Brian and Wade and Target time for Allison and Amanda). Brian was able to get a pic of all 4 of the littles during story time before bed on Saturday - can't wait for them to get to do this much more often! 



The Olivers hit the road yesterday and we spent the rest of the day doing the usual - recovering from the weekend and preparing for the week ahead. I am also happy to report that Colby actually napped! We put them down around 11:45 am, which seemed to be early enough to where they weren't over-tired, but late enough to where they don't need another nap before bed. They were, however, both pretty sleepy by around 6 pm. We obliged with another 6:30 pm bedtime… such selfless parents, aren't we?

Can you tell someone was already getting a little tired?

Looking forward to a low-key week and no traveling!

11 comments:

Brittnie said...

I LOL at your results from the personality assessment! Love it. . .

Love that pic of Brian and the kids on the playscape slide. Love playscape!!

So is the 2 to 1 nap transition going better overall??

Aubrey said...

Yay for Colby napping!! And two yays for making it through your work trip! I may be reaching out in a few weeks for you to talk me off a ledge! :)

the blogivers said...

I'm sure the babies did miss you, whether they realized it or not! Thanks for hosting us and storing all our crap!!

Allena said...

The first time I was away from our son I expected this huge loving encounter when I got back. Nope. He was mad I was making him leave his Nana. HA! So excited that you and Allison will be less than 1 mile apart!!!

Erika said...

Can you give me the personality assessment and then analyze me? That would be awesome. Glad you all survived the work trip!

Brittany Sciba said...

So glad the trip went well! LOVE the picture of all four kiddos together. And the one of C&C in the basket. And the one of the back of C&C's Aggie outfits. So I basically love all of the pictures. :)

Courtney Squillante said...

Such a fun weekend!

kayla Agan said...

I loved that early bedtime in the beginning if our 1 nappin days! Now were lucky to get them down before. 8! Enjoy it while you can! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh and if it helps...we left the girls this weekend and I was SO excited to get back and imagined them running to me SO happy I was home. But no, they looked up from their banana for like 2 seconds and were completely uninterested in our return! The banana was much more exciting than mommy!

Kayla

Christina Spinella said...

At first glance, that face time picture looks like you have a large canvas of your face hanging in your entryway :)

Natasha said...

I think my favourite picture in this post is the one of you and Davis. Also, I really hope you do a retake of the picture of all four kids in the chair every year. I really want to see it about fifteen years from now :)

PS. I always hate myself after personality assessments. They suck. Which also probably says something about my personality.