Background template

Monday, September 15, 2014

Things we did and did not do this weekend

(Side note: This blog post title goes against everything I ever learned about titling papers in my English classes growing up. Thankfully this is a BLOG and not an essay or piece of sacred literature, so I hope you'll forgive me.)


We DID...

… attend a gender reveal party for our friends, the Cruikshanks! Kristen actually entrusted me with the results from the ultrasound last week so that Brian and I could stuff confetti in balloons for the reveal. So for an entire 5 days, WE knew what they were having and they didn't… most fun and most difficult secret ever to have to keep!

Me with the baby mama
(Also, sorry for being so superficial, but WHY is my face always so shiny? I have tried liquid foundation, power foundation, and a combo, but still no luck. I don't really have oily skin, so I can't figure out what the problem is. But it's obnoxious.)


Surprise!

… attempt the transition from two naps to one for the twins. I wouldn't call it a success, but thankfully not a total failure either. On Saturday, we didn't put them down until 1 pm because we were out and about. Clara slept for 1.5 hours and Colby played for an hour and then slept for 30 minutes (translation: NOT LONG ENOUGH FOR EITHER ONE OF THEM IN MY BOOK). Thankfully, they weren't cranky the rest of the day but were definitely tired.

… put the twins to bed at 6:30 pm on Sunday evening. We put them down for their nap at noon (hoping earlier nap would equal longer nap), which worked better than Saturday for Clara (she was in her crib and quiet for 2 hours and 45 minutes). It worked the opposite of well for Colby, however (see below for details), so for everyone's sanity, an early bedtime it was!

… hit up Costco for entertainment on Saturday when the short nap left us with more time to kill than we knew what to do with. And as an added bonus, the free samples made for a great afternoon snack (or 5).

Chilling while Daddy picked out beer, er, I mean, organic fruits and vegetables in bulk.



We did NOT...

… contract West Nile Virus, though I did go for a run at dawn (mosquito prime time, apparently) and we did spend some time outside playing with the Cozy Coupes. I think the cool front that blew in might have put a damper on the mosquitoes' plan for world domination.

Love these two little munchkins

… this is not a "we" statement, but Colby did not take a nap AT ALL on Sunday. As in, he did not have one single second of sleep between waking up at 8:30 am and going to sleep at 6:30 pm. He spend the entire 2 hours and 45 minutes of naptime playing, screaming, banging on the wall, or some combination thereof. That kid has undeniably inherited both his mommy's and daddy's stubborn genes.

… make it through drop-off at the church nursery without tears from both babies. I for some reason assumed that having the twins in daycare would mean they would not ever have issues going to the church nursery, but that's because I didn't factor in that we don't go to the church nursery every single day. Thankfully they warm up quickly, but I still hate leaving them when they're wailing like we've betrayed and permanently abandoned them.

… consume any Dairy Queen blizzards, but I sure wish we did.

So what did you/did you not do this weekend?

10 comments:

the blogivers said...

You don't take your kids to the church nursery every day? And you go to Costco to buy beer? Not sure I can have my family around you when we get there...

Brittnie said...

No naps are hard on the babies but also hard on the mommas!!! Hang in there. . . the transition royally sucks but it will get better. Promise!!

Thankfully none of us have West Nile either but holy cow if I ever see a mosquito ever again it will be too soon. And my skin now permanently smells like Off.

Beth said...

They are so cute in their cozy coupes! Mateo is covered in bug bites from the last week :( no signs of WNV yet... I'm very sorry about the no nap but please count your blessings for 8:30 wake up! That's amazing. Here's hoping the naps get longer! It did improve for us, but his naps vary from 1-2.5 hours.

Aubrey said...

Your face totally does NOT look shiny to me!!
And so funny to be posting about naps after our emails :). We are atkll struggling over here with that. The morning nap is down pat but the afternoon naps? Well we all (ie the boys) just sleep when they want and where they want... And I drive myself crazy over it!! :)

Aubrey said...

atkll = still.

Amanda said...

A) Does Costco really sell organic produce?? If so, I may have to re-think my Sam's Club membership.
B) I hope that Cozy Coupe picture makes it into a frame -- SO cute!!!
C) Nice work on the nap transitioning; sounds like you made good progress (despite Colby's stubbornness...)!

NN Bartley said...

Sorry. Shiny face may be genetic. Mine is too and I have such dry skin and no, liquid, cream, or powder foundation-doesn't matter.
(How's that for a sentence that will make the English Teacher in you die and roll over?)

Brittany Sciba said...

I'm OBSESSED with the picture of them in their cozy coupes!!!

Erika said...

Have you tried a mattefying (anti-shine) primer underneath your foundation? That could help. Or it could be a waste of $30!! That's fun too!

Natasha said...

Okay you have awesome Mexican restaurants AND Costco sells beer. Let me have a quick chat with Dave and maybe we'll buy your old house and move down there next week!

*commenting break for a conversation with a very confused Dave*

Of course, Dave will have to figure out which twin you are so he knows where we're moving to! Ha ha ha!!!