Ladies first, so let's start with a little bit about Clara Lane…
- Current nicknames: Littlest, Messy Misses, Sissy, Crazy Pants
- She will be 16 months old a week from tomorrow.
- As of 1.5 weeks ago, she weighs 22 pounds, 2 ounces, which puts her in the 61st percentile (highest percentile yet for her)!
- She's 30.5 inches tall (43rd percentile), which is the exact same height as her brother.
- Her head measures 18 inches around, which puts her in the 49th percentile. So it's safe to say that across the board, she's pretty average in size! (Which is, once again, amazing considering how much time we spent worrying about her size when she was in utero.)
- According to her parents and as a result of her moodiness (to put it lightly), her current theme songs are "Dark Horse" and "Unwell," which is amusing considering we once claimed her theme song was "Happy."
- She LOVES "Sing-along with Mitten the Kitten," and is particularly enamored with Mitten's rendition of "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes."
- Along with that song, there are two other tricks that can pretty consistently talk her off a ledge:
1. sippy cup of milk
2. her Wubbanub pacifiers, aka: "the wubbies," aka: Clara's drug of choice
This was taken at the airport on the way home from Colorado a few weeks ago and is classic Clara. Her preference is to have one in her mouth and one in each hand. Typically we reserve pacifier use for the crib and the car, but because we often don't want our ears or the ears of others to begin bleeding from all of the wailing, we give in and let her have one. Parenting: a constant series of choosing one's battles.
- She naps like a champ and functions best if she has two good ones each day. She only gets one not-so-great one at daycare, so let's just say that generally on weeknights, she is not functioning at her best. We like to refer to these times as Clara "losing her faculties."
- She generally sleeps well at night, too, but has intermittently been in the habit of waking up once or twice a night crying hysterically until we come in to give her a pacifier (which is usually about 2 inches from her face).
- Relatedly, she has at least one molar that's just about done coming in. We are hoping this has been the primary cause for her craziness as of late.
- Lest you think we're being dramatic about her "spiritedness," you should know that one of her teachers excitedly greeted us when we picked the twins up last week saying, "Clara didn't have any fits today!" Fits. Like she is a mental patient. And we weren't offended because we knew exactly what she meant.
-When she jabbers at us, it feels a lot like being at a nail salon… you know the people working there are talking to or about you, but you have no idea what they're saying.
- Her favorite food at the moment is definitely black beans, and sporting a black bean "beard" is one of her favorite fashion statements. Other favorite foods include all starchy carbohydrates and dairy products. Fruits and vegetables generally don't make the cut.
Found her own perch (and one of the pacifiers in the diaper bag) when we were visiting Mimi and Granddaddy...
So yes, it's safe to say we have our hands full with this little girl at the moment, but we wouldn't trade her for the world. Even though her lows are really low, her highs are really high, so just when we feel like we've reached the end of our rope and have no patience left for her, she flashes her cheesy smile, climbs into one of our laps, or bounces excitedly about something she's just discovered.
Clara, there's a framed picture with a quote that my mom gave me several years ago which I will one day pass along to you, and it says this:
'There has never been a day when I have not been proud of you,' I said to my daughter, 'though some days I'm louder about other stuff so it's easy to miss that.'
I love you, little lady, and hope you're always such an expressive, lovable, little nut!