Background template

Monday, July 7, 2014

Breckenridge in a not-so-concise nutshell

We're back! To say all's well that ends well would be a major understatement. Our trip to Colorado got off to a pretty rocky start (pun intended), but we had a great time and all of the exhaustion was well worth it!

Remember that vomiting episode Clara had the Friday before last that we attributed to drainage? Well apparently we were wrong. Unless drainage-induced vomiting is highly contagious. Brian and I both came down with that special stomach bug on Monday afternoon and by the time we picked the kids up from daycare, we both felt like death. 

It was a struggle to feed them and put them to bed, let alone finish packing and getting ready to leave the next morning. Thankfully the bug was short-lived, and although neither of us felt awesome when we woke up the next morning, miraculously we made it out of the house on time with all 4 of us and our luggage in tow.

Unfortunately our bad luck hadn't yet run out, because we arrived at the airport to find it busier than we'd ever seen it. We spent a painful hour and 15 minutes waiting just to CHECK IN, then rushed through security, only to be told that the airline had accidentally only printed a boarding pass for one of the twins. I wasn't sure at that point if I should swear, cry, or simply run into oncoming traffic to end my misery. 

Anyway, two plane rides, one layover, a 2+ hour car ride later, we made it to Breckenridge along with the Olivers and my parents. I might have melted down and cried like a baby when I realized at the very end of that terrible, no good, rotten day that my fluoride toothpaste had exploded all over my suitcase. I'm pretty sure the whole family was ready to push me off a nearby mountain, so allow me to publicly thank all of them for not doing so!

I will stop rambling now and share an absurd amount of pictures, because what's the point in taking a trip if you don't over-document it on your blog?

First flight! Fnally found an actual purpose for the SkyMall magazine - a morning snack!

My apologies to the next person that occupied that seat and desperately wanted to find out where to purchase a Big Foot garden yeti statue

Flirting with someone in the row behind us… one of Clara's favorite hobbies during this trip was waving and saying 'hi' to anyone that would listen!

Thank you, Lord, for puffs.

Layover in Austin- sorry, Davis, but had to share this one!

The twins did great on both flights, but we were very thankful to have my parents on the second leg of the voyage to help keep them entertained. Here's Colby with Franny checking out the clouds. 

The twins each took a (brief) snooze on the plane, both of which occurred on Daddy's shoulder. I, however, had zero sleeping occur on my watch, which was great, because it's not like I needed any rest or anything after my 3 rejuvenating hours of sleep the night before.

Rocking our minivan on the trip from Denver to Breckenridge- Clara slept while Colby mostly yelled and made me want to drink.

First dinner in Breckenridge; thanks to Allison's photo editing abilities, we don't look nearly as haggard as we felt in this picture.

First morning - view from our back porch!

Making a mess at breakfast

Thanks to these two little monkeys, approximately 2 minutes after this picture was taken, the baby gate was located and installed at the foot of the stairs.

Porch selfie with Mom

Yep, that's right, we matched semi-purposefully and we're not sorry about it.

Family photo shoot time! Don't the twins look thrilled?

We met up with my sweet friend, Elisa, and her husband and baby boy for lunch on the first day- the waitress thought she was our sister! Side note: our table included 8 adults, 1 child, 2 toddlers, and 2 babies, so as you can imagine, it was a very leisurely and relaxing meal ;)

Clara was acting like a wild banshee at one point and sometimes when times get desperate, you just need to let your kid play with a (dull) knife, am I right?

We took a gondola ride that afternoon and while half of the crew got off to ride the alpine slide, my parents and I opted to keep the twins contained by taking another loop. I don't even want to think about the potential diseases they contracted while touching every single surface of that thing. 







The twins were in rare form that evening, thanks to the time change, a routine change, and presumably teething, so my dad graciously offered to help me corral them at the house while everyone else went out to dinner. It was easily one of the most tiring hours of my life and I was literally sweating after we finally put them in bed. Good times.

Second morning - Allison with my gremlins

This was our weak attempt to keep them contained, and as you could have guessed, our efforts were largely futile. 

We took a walk into town every morning and can I just state the obvious and say that walking in July is a heck of a lot more enjoyable when this is your view and the temperature is closer to 50 degrees than 100 degrees?


We took a short hike to this scenic overlook and although my daughter looks like a ragamuffin, we were thankful to get a pic with such a beautiful backdrop!

Make that two family pics, but of course, expecting Clara to keep herself together for two poses in a row without the help of her pacifier was just too much to ask ;)

Unfortunately, we passed our stomach bug on to Davis, so in an attempt to take it easy that afternoon, we took a trip to a local park while my parents visited Vail (I know, pretty comparable activities, right?). Colby and Clara were as excited as they look about swinging- it was as if they were reuniting with an old friend!

Forget about the fact that the soccer ball says "Mexico" on it- how cute is this little girl??



Cute shot of Colby hanging out on the back porch- he graciously paused from rearranging the patio furniture to take this one.



We don't call her "Messy Misses" for nothing!

Third morning - checking out the 4th of July parade!

Can you tell we're related? Also, red/white/blue combo for the win!

I love these two patriotic little nuggets!

After the parade and a late breakfast, we took a drive up Boreas Pass, which served two purposes: more beautiful views and nap time for the wee ones! Mission accomplished on both fronts, thankfully.

We spent the rest of the afternoon/evening grilling out and hanging out at the house, and of course, we had to take some more family pictures. (The only way we were able to get the twins to cooperate was to let them stand rather than be held for the picture… gotta love toddlers and their perceived independence!)

Dad, Allison, me, and Mom - just missing Andrew and Elizabeth!

Cute shot of the kiddos hanging out in the woods

"Hmm, how hard would it be for me to rip the head off of this pretty flower?"

Saturday was spent packing up and hitting the road for Denver, followed by a direct flight home and a very late bedtime for the twins. We were thankful to have Sunday to rest (ha), unpack, do laundry, and store up just enough energy to make it through the work week. I really am a firm believer now that traveling with toddlers is a lot like running for a marathon without doing any real training beforehand, so as you can imagine, it might take us a while to truly recover from our "vacation" :)

But seriously, it was a memorable trip and one we're glad we took, if for nothing else than the photo opps- ha! Thanks for enduring this lengthy recap- you may now return to your regular blog programming!

8 comments:

the blogivers said...

I'm glad all of us survived AND enjoyed the trip! Hopefully we will have fully recovered from the adventure (and the stomach bug) soon :)

Brittnie said...

Despite the sickness, this looks like such a fun trip! It is making me want to disregard all my "to do's" today and start planning a little vacation! Love all of your red, white, and blue pics!

Erika said...

Ugh, sorry about all the sickness!!! And I'm also sorry that you aren't more cognizant of the fact that inquiring minds want to know where you got your yellow earrings, all of Clara's outfits, and your awesome flag shirt. What kind of fashion blogger are you, anyway?

Natasha said...

I got tired just reading this. "Vacations" take on a whole different meaning with really young kids. It looks like you had some great help and amazing views though so there is that!

I love all the pictures!

Aubrey said...

I love all of these pictures!! I love Breckenridge! Your house looked gorgeous and those views are amazing. Such a fun family trip :)

Courtney Squillante said...

Love all the pics! It sounds exhausting but fun all at the same time!!

Brittany Sciba said...

All of these pictures are so great! It looks like a wonderful trip despite a few bumps along the way!

Bren said...

Amazing pictures! What a beautiful place! Hope you're all feeling better now.