Background template

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

The big D, and I do mean Dallas

I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but in case I haven't, for the first year out of college, I worked at my home church as an intern with the youth group. Not surprisingly, some of the other staff members became my best friends. But what I was a little surprised to find was that quite a few of the 9th grade girls also became my best friends! 

Thanks to social media, I've been able to keep up with them over the past 9 years (oh my word, how has it been 9 years since then?!), through their high school years, college years, and now adult years. One of them got married in Dallas this past weekend, and since my parents live there, I figured it would be a good excuse for us to pay them a visit.

It was a quick trip, but we managed to pack in plenty of quality time with my parents, older sister's family, and my grandmother, all of whom we don't get to see nearly often enough. The twins were loving all of the attention (and cookies), but let's be honest, so was I ;) Clara even managed to add a new word to her vocabulary: "Pop Pop," which, as you can imagine, pleased my dad quite a bit!

Anyway, let's get on with the pictures:

Thankfully the twins do pretty well in the car, but I usually have to make my way to the backseat a couple of times each way to feed them or simply distract them from their boredom. 

Such a flirt, that little girl is.

"More peanut butter sandwich, mommy?"

After dinner with my sister's fam, we hit up the park by my parents' house to swing before bedtime:




On Saturday, we had an impromptu photo shoot with Franny and Pop Pop...




We followed that up with lunch at Grub, which was delicious, but slightly distracting thanks to one teething little mess of a girl and her hangry brother.

Yeah, pretty sure they didn't hook up that high chair for you to stand on, Clara, but whatever keeps you quiet. Also, I promise she doesn't spend 24/7 with a pacifier… it's just very useful when she's teething and when we need a mute button for her!

I posted a similar pic on Instagram, but I love how Clara was charging after Brian and Colby, determined not to be left behind:


After lunch, we had a little play time with the cousins before nap time for the twins (aka: mall time for me and my mom):

Clara with Emma, their oldest cousin

Clara with my big sis

You'll notice Colby isn't in these pictures. That would be because he was far more interested in playing with the trucks and throwing every ball he could find than socializing. Such a boy.

My parents watched the twins that evening while we headed to the wedding. I was thankful to hear they were on their best behavior and didn't scare my parents away from babysitting again in future :) The wedding was beautiful and it was fun to catch up with my old (young) pals (and eat cake):

Crazy how the 8-year age gap isn't as obvious as it was when we were 14 and 22, respectively!

Blurry, but necessary proof that we were out and about without our little sidekicks


That last one's a framer. What did we ever do before photo booths at weddings were a "thing?"

We went to sleep well after our usual bedtime that night, and wouldn't you know that Clara picked that same night to stay up from 3-4 am crying (presumably about her teeth)? It was really special, and we were really excited when she decided to wake up for the next day at 7:15 (45 minutes earlier than the day before).

We hung around the house for a bit that morning and reluctantly hit the road after lunch (at what age does leaving your parents' house become less depressing?). Before we left, I made my dad recreate a picture that he took with me and Allison as babies. Sadly, I haven't been able to locate the original, but I'm still working on it!

Allison and I wore these duck and bunny outfits on our first Halloween back in 1983!

We decided to have Brian recreate the picture, too, but I think you'll agree that it didn't go quite as well…
Apparently someone was no longer interested in cooperating for pictures?

Thanks to some rain, the drive home was a lot longer than the drive there, but we managed to make it home without any meltdowns, which I firmly believe was in large part thanks to our dear friends, cheddar bunnies and Baby Einstein.



I'm really hoping those same friends can help us (and our fellow passengers) survive the twins' first flights next week… prayers appreciated!

8 comments:

the blogivers said...

Glad it was a good trip and wish we could have been there to join the fun! And the photo booth pics are all framers, in my opinion. You should blow it up and replace that one with all your wedding pictures collaged together!

Erika said...

It is definitely weird when you start realizing there are no noticeable differences between yourself and someone 8-10 years younger (or older) than you. Weeeeird. And I love the costume photo shoot!!

NN Bartley said...

They have gotten TOO big. Need to come see them. In between the nine million other things that I also need to do. Catching up on ten months of undone/neglected stuff (add in your son probably totaling your parents car which requires at the minimum some extra driving and possibly some car shopping) and I am feeling like I'm just barely keeping up. But we need to see those babies!

Brittany Sciba said...

What a fun weekend!! I can't imagine how old I will feel when one of my students gets married someday! My first class will be seniors next year! Crazy! Also, how is Emma that grown up?!?!

Allena said...

Sure your parents can't be scared to babysit twins after raising them? Ha! Can't wait for you to find the original pic of you and Allison in the costumes!

Brittnie said...

Love your dress you wore to the wedding!

And yes - it ALWAYS happens to us that the baby (or babies!) wake up on a night where we thought it was a good idea to stay up way too late. Happens every stinking time!

Looks like a fun trip!

Natasha said...

How did Brian not drop Clara in that picture of him holding both twins?!?! Or did he, and you're just not telling us???

And I'm 42 and it's still depressing to leave my parents' house. Or when they leave mine. I just wish they could live next door. Or at least in the same city.

kayla Agan said...

Clara's hair is AWESOME! Perfect bow hair! :)