Background template

Monday, April 7, 2014

First birthday party

Yes, it's true, I'm now officially the mom of two one-year-olds! The party went off without a hitch on Saturday and we had a great day celebrating, so it's safe to say the twins' first birthday was a success. It's also safe to say that all 4 of us are a special kind of exhausted, but I suppose that's to be expected.

A big thanks (as always) to Allison for playing photographer so that I didn't have to mess with taking pictures. 

We started off the morning by giving them the presents we got them: cozy coupes! So far they have only tested them out in the house, but they seem to like them:


My parents were staying with us so we went ahead and gave Colby and Clara their presents from them as well: Radio Flyer 4-in-1 trikes! I think these are pretty cool and kind of want one for myself... think Brian would mind pushing all 3 of us on our way to the park?


After breakfast (special french toast made by their sweet daddy) and their morning naps, it was party time!

The theme for the party was the letter 'c' and the colors were pink, blue, and yellow. 

Birthday banners from this etsy shop


And of course, all the food started with the letter 'c,' as well!

chicken nuggets

(mini) corn dogs

cheese & crackers + carrots, cauliflower, celery, & cherry tomatoes (courtesy of my MIL!)
(you can also see the vase full of Cheerios in the background- those were the centerpieces on the rest of the tables along with painted wooden letter 'c's)

cookies (the greatest ones ever that my mom brought from this place in Dallas)

cupcakes (courtesy of Allison!)

cherry limeade (recipe here)

and of course, "cold" water and capri suns... in a cooler - the 'c's just keep coming!

The party favors (amidst their gifts!) were chalk (which Colby actually tried to eat at one point).

And the only organized activity was corn hole - Brian actually made the boards himself and I made the bean bags. Thank you, pinterest!

We had the party at a pavilion in our neighborhood that is thankfully right next to the playground, so there was plenty of this going on as well:

set-up for the guests of honor

And speaking of those guests, Colby & Clara arrived in their chariot and were clearly very thrilled to get the party started :) My mother-in-law made their cute outfits and I was so happy with how they turned out!

Family pic

Hard to believe these two both fit in my tummy together just one short year ago!

One of my best pals, Kristen, and I were matching almost perfectly, completely on accident! 

Allison and Avery, aka: my hired (free)
help/photographers

Franny (my mom), Clara, and her ducky :)

Mimi (Brian's mom), Aunt Shannon, and Franny

Pop Pop (my dad) and my grandparents

Colby & Clara with Brian's grandparents- these 2 are pretty fortunate to have 5 living great grandparents!

Two of my sweet co-workers, Megan (with her daughter, Kate) and Heather, with me and the birthday girl

In the middle of the party, Colby stood unsupported for the first time, totally out of nowhere! Unfortunately he would not repeat the trick for the camera, but you get the idea.

Brittany, Georgia Kate, Clara, and me - Georgia Kate and Clara are going to be roommates and pledge sisters at A&M :)

And then it was time to sing!

Cute bibs from this etsy shop; cute babies from my womb 




In the middle of singing- love how Colby has his hands over his ears here!

They both sat and stared at the cupcakes (banana foster flavor) for a second and then Colby grabbed his with both hands and shoved it right in his face. He then (over a period of about 20 minutes) proceeded to polish off every last bite of it, and was even holding it in his mouth and sucking on it at one point. I think it's safe to say he liked it :)




Sweet Clara was not so interested. She had maybe one bite and then melted down until we removed her from the situation!

See what I mean? Homeboy loved that thing.

Hanging out with their best buddy, Hayes, while we cleaned up- guess he didn't get the memo about going shirtless in the wagon ;)

After the party, we headed home and put the babies down for a nap. Clara went to sleep but a certain someone was on a bit of a sugar high and spent the entire 1.5 hours playing in his crib. Fortunately, the lack of sleeping did not damper his spirits for the remainder of the day!

My family and Brian's family stuck around to watch the babies open presents- it is safe to say these are two very loved and very spoiled little babies!

Miraculously Aunt Shannon caught all 4 of us smiling in this one!

My friend, Kristen, got Clara this book called Clara, the Cookie Fairy!

Colby was very interested in Clara's baby doll stroller

So much to see and play with...

Peekaboo, I see you!

Trying to figure out the whole puzzle concept

And then apparently Clara gave up and just decided to treat the puzzle piece like a pacifier.

Thought this one was cute of them sitting back-to-back and scoping out their loot.

We ended the day with dinner out with Brian's parents/sister and my parents. The babies were in good moods and we managed to go the entire day without any major meltdowns or disasters, which is a very rare thing indeed when two one-year-olds are involved!

A big thank you to everyone that helped make Colby and Clara (and their parents) feel so special on Saturday- we are so very thankful that so many people love these babies so much!

(Re-posted on 3/10/15 via the Twin Talk Blog 1st birthday link-up!)

15 comments:

Aubrey said...

Such an adorable party!!!

the blogivers said...

Yay babies! Glad it turned out to be such a good day for them!

Susan said...

Happy Birthday Colby and Clara!!! I just love the Cora you used for their party. So bright and cheerful for the start of spring! Where is your outfit from? It's so cute...cute enough that your friend duplicated!

Sarah said...

Their little outfits are just darling! Happy Birthday to C squared!

Erika said...

SO cute!!! I can't believe your MIL made their outfits-- so perfect! I'm impressed with how far you carried out the C theme...way to commit!!

Courtney Squillante said...

Awww everything was perfect! Cute theme, great decorations, and their outfits are precious! Happy birthday to your sweet babies!

Nikki Miller said...

Such a CUTE party, Love the CHEVRON outfits!
Def. pinterest worthy (this how the hubs compliments, my DIY projects.)

HBD to Colby & Clara and CONGRATS to you and Brian for keeping twins alive and thriving for a YEAR!

Brittnie said...

Y'all did such a great job. All the details are perfect!! Would you please plan Clara's 2nd party? I am so sad we had to miss the fun! And I love, love that Colby ate his entire cupcake!

Amanda said...

What an awesome party! I can't believe they're one!

I love how Clara's face is EXACTLY the same in the trike and the car... such a happy girl! I think Colby should get banana cupcakes all the time... might be the happiest/cutest face I've ever seen him make!

So glad the party was a success!

Shannon said...

I don't blame Colby for covering his ears during the birthday song! I promise I didn't teach him that!
The party was perfect and I think I want the same food for my 26th birthday ;)

Sally said...

Can't believe they are already a year old! Too cute! Looks like such a fun bash!

Amanda McD said...

Happy birthday babies! What a cute party theme...great job! And I especially love that GK and Clara will be college roommates and pledge sisters :)

Leah said...

You have a lot to celebrate, mama! And btw, I loooove that you were wearing the same outfit as your friend. She's not even your twin!! So thankful that these two little ones are in the world, and I'm sort of still in shock that it's already been a year since they were born!

Brittany Sciba said...

It was a wonderful party for your wonderful babies! I still can't get over Colby and his cupcake. So funny! I love the picture of Clara with her pacifier puzzle piece. :)

Natasha said...

Dave keep asking me what I want to do for my birthday which is next Friday. I think I will just show him this post and tell him to go from there because it looks like it was an awesome party! Will your MIL make me a matching dress?! She did a great job!