Background template

Friday, March 28, 2014

What a week!

Clara came down with a fever on Monday and was pretty pitiful for about 24 hours. Colby actually had a fever last Saturday, but we chalked it up to teething, and figured that was probably the case for her as well. Well unless 30-year-olds can also suffer from teething, our diagnosis was a little bit off, because I came down with a fever on Tuesday and Brian followed suit yesterday. I guess the silver lining is that we didn't all catch this "bug" at the same time?

Nonetheless, at least one of us has felt crummy every day this week. Thankfully I have the greatest husband ever, so when I was feeling like I had been hit by a truck on Tuesday evening, he went to fetch me a DQ blizzard to enjoy while I was taking a bath. (By the way, the downside to this combination of activities is that you are basically watching yourself getting fatter while you eat without any loose-fitting clothes to trick yourself into thinking otherwise. So... yeah, maybe don't do it if you're having a low self-esteem day.)

And while we're on the topic of dairy products, I can safely say that the milk transition for the babies has not been successful. I know that we might have a little more success if we would give it to them in bottles, but I am being stubborn and refuse to do that since they drink water out of sippy cups all the time with no problem. If you can't tell, we subscribe to the "tough love" philosophy when it comes to many facets of parenting. :)

Relatedly, and very importantly, I pumped at work for the last time yesterday!!!!!!! There are really not enough exclamation points in the world to truly express my excitement. It was glorious. I cannot tell you how excited I am to not have to lug that bag to/from work every day, awkwardly carry bottles of milk and pump parts to and from the break room, and explain to random co-workers why there is a "please do not disturb" sign on my door. Oh, yeah, and there's the whole part about not having to actually pump! I will, however, miss having 30-minute increments of uninterrupted alone time.

And this has nothing to do with anything, but I had a dream the other night that majorly stressed me out and that I actually have on a semi-regular basis: I drove into the parking lot at my office and realized I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt. In the dream, I am always scrambling to find a store nearby where I can buy work-appropriate attire (and that's open before 7:30 am?), but inevitably I can't find anything in my size and then I end up running late for work in addition being dressed inappropriately. Do any of you have this dream? And is this the boring adult version of accidentally showing up to school with no clothes on as a kid?!

10 comments:

Brittnie said...

Congrats on your last work day pumping session! That totally justifies another DQ blizzard for sure!

The Bird said...

Felicia won't drink cow's milk. either. We keep offering, but don't worry about it if (when!) she refuses. I don't like cow's milk, either, so I get it! We haven't made the leap to try coconut milk yet, but that may be our next step.

Your story about the DQ in the bath has me laughing! Maybe just keep the bathroom really hot like a sauna and you can sweat out the extra calories? (Not that you really need to worry about them, imo)

Congrats on the last day of pumping! I am so amazed that you not only pumped for as long as you did, but also FOR TWINS! Amazing.

I have nightmares about not studying for tests (still...even though I haven't been a student for years). Sigh. Also, lately I have dreams where I have entire classes full of my most difficult students from the last 6 years + annoying kids that I went to school with. All of them are middle school aged in the dreams...every nasty middle schooler from my past in one room and I am their teacher. Terrifying.

Nikki Miller said...

CONGRATS on last pump! That is SO exciting.
I hope the whole Joiner clan is feeling better.

We went the "tough love" route with the milk transition and after two days of NOT drinking a drop she just switched and loved it. Ironically, now she is two and we are in the process of stopping all sippy cups and using the "tough love" route to get her to drink from a cup.

There is ALWAYS some transition going on with little ones...

the blogivers said...

Hooray for no more pumping! I can call you at night when I pump if you ever miss the sound... interested to see how the milk transition plays out so I can take notes for Avery if it works!

Erika said...

Maybe instead of transitioning them to boring old cow milk, you could transition them to blizzards? I mean, I hear that very few kids turn those down. Just a thought! Plus you'd be better preparing them for adult life.

Brittany Sciba said...

Yay for no more pumping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (was that enough exclamation points?! :) Seriously, that must be such a relief. I'm sorry you've all been sick. I hope everyone starts feeling better very soon!

Jaclyn said...

The bathtub story is hilarious. I also have the dream that someone mentioned above where I am back in college or high school and taking a test I haven't studied for. It's terrible. Oh type A personality, thanks for making me have nightmares about something no longer relevant to my life. I also feel the need to agree with Erika, that's an awesome idea and your babies will thank you one day.

Aubrey said...

Eating ice cream in the tub has been one of my favorite things about pregnancy!! And I'm sure I will continue with it after pregnancy but won't look forward to the visual of not losing any weight!!

Natasha said...

I really hope everyone is feeling better by now. And maybe the babies will like milk eventually?????

Leah said...

BTW, Dairy Queen isn't really close by my house, but I have made a couple of treks out there this pregnancy, and every time I think that you would be so proud. Yay for no more pumping! (And my how time flies!) I remember feeling so free when I was no longer a source of my children's nutrition. And I have dreams that I am getting on an international flight to Africa but can't find the gate AND forgot to pack any luggage... I always end up getting on the plane, but end up on a long term trip in Africa without any personal belongings, toiletries, changes of clothes, etc.