Background template

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Eleven months!

Here we are, just one short month before my babies turn ONE. As you might expect, my emotions are mixed. On the one hand, I am excited to celebrate their first birthday and relieved that we all 4 survived the first year (relatively) unscathed. On the other hand, I miss my tiny little preemies and it makes me sad to think they are closer to being toddlers than babies. Sigh.

Anyway, I'll spare you my psycho mommy ramblings for now and get the show on the road.

Colby's current nicknames: Colby Guy/Colby Guy Man, Buddy/Buddy Guy/Buddy Guy Man, Guy Man, Colbs

Weight: 18 lbs, 14 oz 

I took the twins to the pediatrician last week (thankfully they just had colds) and was surprised to learn that although they were weighing almost exactly the same at 9 months, Colby picked up the pace and is now a pound heavier than Clara… again. I shouldn't have been all that shocked, however, because he has really taken more of an interest in food in the past month or so.

Colby's preferred foods (as I mentioned the other day) are definitely the starchy variety. I would say sweet potatoes and bananas are his favorites, along with any and all bread products. It is definitely safe to say, however, that milk is still at the top of his list of favorite "foods!" We give them water in a sippy cup during all of their solid meals and although he is getting better, he still spends more time chewing on the spout than actually drinking it.


I know we're less than a year into this, but I really do think it's true what people have told me: boys seem to get easier as they get older and girls seem to get harder. Colby spends progressively more time being happy than grumpy the older he gets. Don't get me wrong- he can still throw quite a tantrum and spends his share of time yelling (not crying), but he has definitely chilled out a lot from his earlier high maintenance days.

He is sleeping pretty well at night, napping pretty well during the day, and other than being a little impatient and completely unpredictable at meal times (will he eat what we give him or slam his sippy cup angrily on his tray and yell at us?), he is pretty easy-going. 




It is safe to say that Colby definitely knows what he wants and is not shy about doing what it takes to get it. Unfortunately for his sister, "what he wants" is most often whatever she has and "doing what it takes" most often entails ripping items out of her hands. At that point, she usually melts down and he just stares blankly at her as if he can't figure out why in the world she would be upset. A boy does something that makes a girl cry and then has no idea why she's crying… crazy, right? :)


Now that he has mastered crawling, Colby is constantly on the move and generally likes to stay busy. He is sweet and cuddly just before naps and bedtime, but other than that, it's hard to get him to stay still for long. He loves to cruise around in his walker and is happiest when standing. I know he is going to be so excited when he finally figures out how to walk without our help!



Colby's current favorites: the walker, playing with daddy's sunglasses, stealing from his sister, bath time, the dogs, swinging, waving, clapping (particularly for himself), banging toys (or items in general) together, playing in his crib during nap time (he's way better at independent play time than his social sister), straws (for playing)


Clara's current nicknames: Littlest, Little, Baby Girl, Messy Misses

Weight: 17 lbs, 13 oz 


Yes, the Littlest has slowed down on her weight gain and is once again the littlest of the two! I'm guessing her newfound love for crawling and pulling up is helping burn some of those calories. Clara has also been a little more finicky with eating this past month, which we attribute to the fact that she is a girl (and therefore allowed to change her mind whenever she pleases) and to the fact that she was busy growing her first tooth (and therefore a little particular on what went near her gums). However, when she is in the mood to eat, she can pack it in, and unlike Colby, Clara prefers the healthier stuff.


Broken record here, but Clara continues to be a great napper and sleeper. She is thankfully able to fall and stay asleep during Colby's marathon squealing/playing sessions during nap time and generally naps for a good 30 minutes to an hour longer than he does. This is no small part thanks to her continued love for the pacifier, as evidenced below!



As I mentioned above (and last month), Clara has gotten progressively more sensitive and dramatic in recent months. She is still pretty happy-go-lucky, but when she's upset, you better watch out. Much like her brother, when Clara knows what she wants, she is not shy about doing what it takes to get it. But in her case, "doing what it takes" generally means melting down into an inconsolable mess. Fun times. 

"My life is so haaaaaaard!"

Look at that sass.


Clara's current favorites: babbling ("dada," "mama," and "da" (dog)- she has also started to use a tone that implies she's asking a question, which is pretty darn cute), her wubbanubs, the dogs, bath time, watching anything on tv, swinging, waving, clapping, stuffed animals/dolls, bouncing, chugging out of her sippy cup (and Colby's)

As I mentioned the other day, taking pictures of each of them individually was challenging enough, so I all but gave up on getting decent shots of the two of them together:







And that's a wrap.

Their normal at-home schedule these days:

7:30 am - wake up and nurse*
8:30 am - solid breakfast
9:15 am - nap (usually 1-1.5 hours)
11 am - nurse
12 pm - solid lunch
1:30 pm - nap (usually 1.5-2 hours)
3:30 pm - nurse
5:30 pm - solid dinner
7 pm - bedtime routine
7:15 pm - nurse
7:45 pm - both babies are asleep!

*Wish us luck this month as we embark on the transition from nursing to regular milk. Invitations to my breast pump burning party are forthcoming- ha!

Happy 11 months, little ones- we love you!

9 comments:

Brittnie said...

Happy 11 month babies!!

I think I am in trouble with the whole "girls get harder as they get older" saying. I totally think this is true. . . thus Brandon and I prob need to stock up on wine and dark chocolate now.

The Bird said...

Um...how is it possible that they are 11 months?! They have long outgrown the outfits I started for them LAST SPRING. Looks like they'll need a 1 year (or 1.5 year with how life is going right now) surprise from MN. I still nurse F when I am home but stopped pumping when she turned 1 (FREEDOM!!!). She does not like cow's milk AT ALL. We keep sending it with her lunch M-F, but I think after we finish the half-gallon in the fridge we'll maybe try coconut milk and see if she goes for that. I am not too concerned about her not drinking the milk with lunch...she drinks water during the day and I always make sure to pack something fatty with her meal (dairy [usually cheese or yogurt] or something with eggs or avocado).

the blogivers said...

Happy 11 months to my favorite 11-month-olds! My fave pic of Colby is the one where he's standing, and my fave pic of Clara is the sassy one because it looks just like the look I was giving you in that classic picture of the 2 of us from my wedding.

Natasha said...

I love this update on Colby and Clara. I love how different they are and how you shared lots about each of their personalities.

I am impressed that you got pictures of the two of them together at all. I remember that taking pictures of just one child for their monthly posts was frustrating, and you're doing it with two.

Also, I am really impressed that you are still nursing/pumping. I remember that was such a challenge for the first year and I had a whole year of mat leave (thank you Canada!). On top of everything else (having twins, working full-time), I think this is just really amazing.

And have you figured out the theme for your breast pump burning party yet??? I'm sure Pinterest will be able to help you with that one :) (Either that or you'll start a whole new trend!)

Erika said...

Count me in with people SUPER impressed you pulled off BFing twins while working full time for an entire YEAR! I'm going to be sure to use you and your experience super obnoxiously in the future...like...friend with a singleton 8 week old who complains about nursing being too hard..."I HAVE A FRIEND WHO WORKED FULL TIME AND BREASTFED TWINS FOR A WHOLE YEAR!! SUCK IT UP, PANSY!!!" (Just kidding. I would never do that because I have a soul and compassion. But I can think of about 40 people I know who WOULD say something like that, based on the fact that they say other equally unhelpful and insensitive things regarding other issues I've dealt with.)

Aubrey said...

Ha! Love the sass pic of Clara!!

Brittany Sciba said...

Happy 11 months babies!! I love all of the pictures, but my favorites are the second one of Colby and the "My life is so hard" picture of Clara. :)

Allena said...

How do you nurse them? Separately? Did you ever tandem nurse? Just curious how that has changed as they've gotten older. I am still pumping and am annoyed, but I'm down to once a day and 90% of the time that's just at night, yay! I guess since I want to provide Drew on breast milk until 2 years, I couldn't expect to stop pumping too early, ha.

Hoags and Kisses said...

I cannot believe they're almost 1 already! I love how you captured each of their sweet personalities and Clara's cute little sassiness. Props to you for making it an entire year breastfeeding not one, but TWO humans! You deserve some kind of award. There's a "push" present for after you have a baby, what about a "pump" present for when you're done pumping milk?!