Background template

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The time I cried over a lost pacifier

Thanks to the Presidents, Brian and I both had the day off yesterday. I know this is the most cliche statement in the world, but I really do wish every weekend was a 3-day weekend. It allowed us to get everything done but still have some extra time to actually, oh, you know, ENJOY OURSELVES.

Valentine's Day was definitely different than in years past (for two little 10-month-old sized reasons), but an enjoyable one nonetheless. Brian left mysteriously to "fill up the truck with gas" after I went to bed on Thursday night, and as a result, I woke up Friday morning to this:

That would be breakfast, flowers, an assortment of treats, and not one, but two cards- one from Brian and one from Colby, of course :)

And yes, we made sure to deck Colby and Clara out in festive Valentine's Day attire (shirts read "my heart belongs to daddy" and "mr. right"):

Brian took a half day of vacation on Friday afternoon, so we took advantage of the "free" childcare (read: already paid for) provided by the twins' daycare and enjoyed a lunch/shopping date before picking them up that afternoon. And you can imagine my excitement when I found these waiting for us in their daycare bag:

Personally, I was really impressed with the babies'  crafting skills, and had no idea they knew how to use a laminator! 

We finished the day with dinner at home - chicken and salad for us, quesadillas and black beans for the bambinos. I can assure you it was just as romantic as you might imagine!


 After the twins went to sleep, we ate dessert and watched Revolutionary Road, which turned out to be a terrible and depressing selection. After this and watching The Cider House Rules a few weeks ago, we have officially had our fill of movies ending in botched abortion attempts. Shame on me for expecting any movie with Kate and Leo to be as amazing as Titanic, I guess.

Saturday was filled with a birthday party (pictures below) and church. Thankfully we didn't get paged to come pick up inconsolable child(ren) during the service, but the nursery volunteer did point out (nicely, at least) that Colby has a habit of screaming whenever he sees something that he wants until he gets it (particularly if someone else has it). We are sadly already very aware of this fact, as is his sister, the most frequent victim.




On Sunday morning, I headed to the grocery store alone during the babies' nap time and jokingly bragged about my leisurely escape on Facebook. Well apparently pride really does come before the fall because we took a trip to Target later that afternoon with the babies and it was a NIGHTMARE.

It started off innocently enough with us trying out the double seated cart:

Don't they look happy and cute? NOT FOR LONG.

About 10 minutes into the trip, we noticed Clara's beloved wubbanub pacifier ("Pink Ellie") was missing. We started to retrace our steps in the very limited area we had covered in the store, but were having no luck. At about the same time, both babies started melting down, and so did I.

It probably would have been wise for us to just leave the few items we had already put in the cart and call the trip a wash, but there were a few things we really needed (I'm looking at you, massive box of diapers) and I was not interested in having to return later in the day. I was also intent on finding that pacifier. It was not pretty, and let's just say I left the store sweating and regretting several choice words that I used very loudly inside the store.

Once we got to the car and the reality set in that we weren't going home with Pink Ellie, I started crying. Clara was completely fine and happily accepted the back-up pacifier without skipping a beat. I, however, was mumbling through tears about how I had let her down, it was all my fault, and how Pink Ellie was special to me, too. I literally had a montage of videos/pictures of Clara with Pink Ellie playing in my head. What is wrong with me?! Hopefully some of you can relate to this slightly less than rational reaction… anyone?

Needless to say, we quickly located a store nearby that sold the same pacifier and procured one that evening. Brian told Clara (as if she had any clue what was going on) that Pink Ellie spent the afternoon at the spa and that if she seemed different, it was because she was refreshed and relaxed from her time away. And that is why I love him.

Anyway, I guess it's a good thing we had that extra day off yesterday so we could all recover from the trauma. The babies even did us a favor and celebrated the holiday by "sleeping in" until 8 am. (We were later punished for this by Colby taking terrible naps and behaving like a wild banshee at the end of the day, but oh well).

Happy Tuesday-that-feels-like-a-Monday, everyone!

6 comments:

Brittnie said...

Can I come over so C&C can teach me how to craft? And use a laminator? They are so skilled!

Glad you had a nice day off yesterday and that the pacifier and Clara are now reunited!!

the blogivers said...

Using a Laminator is one of those important milestones every baby meets - how did you not know that?!

Also, Wade and I watched Revolutionary Road several years ago and commented that it made us feel suicidal. Guess we didn't pass that review on to you.

RIP, original Pink Ellie!

Erika said...

Nice Valentines, babies! Maybe their teachers can start working with them on more advanced laminate-cutting...they really could have scalloped the laminating to match the paper...how embarrassing. OK and the picture of the ballpit reminds me of a text I received this weekend from a friend (also named Amanda, surprisingly). She informed me that her 4 year old daughter was currently playing in a ballpit (not sure where) and had just popped out to inform her that "I took my bandaid off because I don't need it anymore!!" So...yay ballpits!!!

Brittany Sciba said...

I can so relate! Sometimes something so random can send you straight to tears! Ahhh… the life of a mommy. I'm glad you were able to replace it and I love Brian's explanation to Clara. Such a sweet daddy. :)

Jaclyn said...

Coming out of blog stalker land! Erika's comment makes me cringe. The spa explaination is an awesome idea! Props to your hubby.

Natasha said...

I am always very impressed by the crafting skills of kids who can't walk or go to the bathroom by themselves, yet they can turn out AMAZING works of art! :)

And we had a double cart at Target on Sunday as well but the only casualty of our trip was a black hair bow of Rachel's. I'm glad Pink Ellie enjoyed her trip to the spa! That's so awesome.