Background template

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Starting the year off right

Happy 2014, my friends! Hope the first 1/365th of your year was wonderful.

We rang in the new year with the Olivers (shocking, I know), and actually got to spend part of NYE with the Scibas as well. With one toddler and four babies in tow, it was about as glamorous as you might imagine- multiple diaper changes, playing on the floor, and shoveling bites of pizza in our mouths while bouncing and carrying babies- and I am being 100% honest when I say we wouldn't have it any other way!

We left the Scibas' house in time to put the babies to bed and watch the A&M game. And by "watch the A&M game," I mean that Brian and Wade stayed glued to the screen while Allison and I got crafty and made some bow holders for Clara and Avery. I am not a new year's resolution-ist and am already pretty organized, but I always get an itch after the holidays are over to showcase my OCD tendencies get even more organized, so this project suited me well:


Thanks, Brian, for serving as my hand model. 

(Allison posted a link to the website that served as our inspiration, so be sure to check it out.)

By some small miracle, we actually stayed awake until midnight (probably fueled by the adrenaline that kicks in after spending some quality time with ribbons, scrap paper, and a hot glue gun), which is about 2 hours later than we normally go to sleep. Colby and Clara took no pity on us, however, and woke up like clockwork at 7:15 am. I will not complain though, because (a) the fireworks thankfully did not wake them up at all and (b) my sweet little niece, Avery, kept her parents up several times that night… oops.

We spent the first day of 2014 cleaning up the house and entertaining the babies, nothing too crazy since today meant back to work/daycare for all of us for the first time in a couple of weeks. We did make a dinner recipe that's worth sharing due to one of its main ingredients: black-eyed peas!

Brian is not a huge black-eyed pea fan but thankfully understands the importance of eating them so that my dad won’t give us a hard time for good luck at the start of the new year, and since they are mixed in with plenty of other ingredients that he enjoys, this ended up being a hit:

Picture/recipe courtesy of recipegirl.com, but can also be found on my "Dinner Time" board on Pinterest.

Hope everyone else is enjoying this strange Thursday-that-feels-like-a-Monday!

6 comments:

Brittnie said...

Super impressed that y'all stayed up till midnight! I was home at 9 and asleep by 9:30pm. Awesome! :)

I am also super impressed with y'alls crafting skills. I have not one creative crafty bone in my body, so Brandon would ultimately have to make this for me. Is it sad that my girls will most likely have to use Brandon's help for any fun crafty like projects they want to do growing up?

the blogivers said...

Thanks again for having us, despite our 50% success rate at night with Avery!

Erika said...

LOVE the bow holder!! So cute! The frame is super cute, too. And that casserole looks YUM.

Mrs. G said...

That hairbow holder is SO cute. Going to copy that for my twin girls!!!

Leah said...

I need to do the frame thing for my jewelry!!!! love!

Brittany Sciba said...

Love the bow holder!!! SO cute!