Background template

Friday, January 17, 2014

Parents of the year

I don't mean to brag, but I'm pretty sure that Brian and I already have the parents-of-the-year award in the bag for 2014, and likely for every coming year for the foreseeable future. Here's why:

- The other day when we had an episode of Baby Einstein on for the babies, one of the characters said the word "Uranus," and Brian and I both started giggling.

- Clara fell off the couch on Saturday. Yes… again. You might recall that this happened when she was about 8 weeks old, so you'd think I would have learned my lesson and oh, I don't know, NOT LEAVE HER UNATTENDED ON THE COUCH EVEN FOR A SECOND, but you would be wrong. Thankfully it was really a non-event and as soon as I got her pacifier for her, all was once again right with the world.

- We let the babies eat stale Cheerios for a good 2 weeks. It was actually the first time we ever gave them Cheerios and although I knew they were stale, I figured that (a) the babies had never had regular Cheerios and wouldn't know the difference, and (b) they might be easier to dissolve that way. That's me- always looking out for my children's best interest!

- We routinely sing Colby a version of T.I.'s "Rubberband Man" (most definitely a non-baby-appropriate rap song). The original lyrics:

Who I be?
Rubber band man
Wild as the Taliban
9 in my right
45 in the other hand
Call me trouble man
always in trouble man

Our lyrics:

Who I be?
Colby Guy Man
Wild as the Taliban
Puppy in my right
and my keys in the other hand
You know me, man
I'm always in trouble, man

- Speaking of songs, Brian might not appreciate me sharing this, but when he was changing one of Clara's dirty diapers the other day, I heard him singing, "I don't wanna wait, for this poop to be over" (to the tune of Paula Cole's "I Don't Want to Wait," aka: the theme song to Dawson's Creek).

- While preparing the babies' breakfast recently, Brian declared that the blueberries we were adding to their yogurt (um, yeah, babies, you are pretty spoiled) looked like "exotic bird feces." That really isn't a reflection of our parenting, but it was too amusing not to share.

- And lastly, when it's time to get the babies ready for their bath, we are known to remove their pants and make them wear them as hats. Because we're the parents and we're in charge, that's why.

You have to admit: they make pant-hats look pretty cute, don't they?

Anyone else have credentials that rival ours in winning the parents-of-the-year award (pet parents included)?

6 comments:

the blogivers said...

I can't believe you let your babies watch Baby Einstein! Also, remember how Davis used to ask us to sing "Apple Bottom Jeans" to him? Also, I hope those exotic bird feces were organic.

Erika said...

I'm pretty sure Brian's rendition of the Dawson's Creek song is the best thing I've ever heard of. I hope he serenades me with it when we're out there!!

Natasha said...

Rachel rolled off our of bed TWICE when she was little. And I was nursing her both times, fell asleep, and woke up to the thunk of her landing on the floor.

Also, one time she was crying in her crib and I didn't go get her right away and then when I went in I realized she had accidentally torn her stuffed bunny's arm off. I think I traumatized her.

Lisa said...

In April, my middle daughter fell jumping on to the couch on a Saturday and said her arm hurt- I waited until Monday to take her to the Dr (the doctor thought she was fine but did xrays)- yep it was broken....cast for 6 weeks.

In September my oldest daughter hurt her arm playing soccer on a Saturday and again waited until Monday (because we were SURE it wasn't broken).....yep broken, cast for 4 weeks.

The day before my oldest daughter was scheduled to get her cast off my middle daughter fell at school jumping rope....I took her in the next day...broken again. So my oldest daughter got her cast off and the middle one got her cast on at the same appointment.

That's three broken arms in less than 6 months!! And we were positive each time it wasn't broken and waited each time to take them to the doctor!

So, I got Mother-of-the Year 2013 all to me!!!

kayla Agan said...

Well, I had to call poison control today because Nora was sitting one the floor eating her eczema lotion out of the tub like a jar of ice cream. Yeah that was fun, not to mention it was the second time I have called them!

Brittnie said...

Brian's new version of the Paula Cole song is pretty epic! Ha!

I have also given my Clara stale Cheerios, on purpose. And she HAS had the fresh ones and knows the difference but obviously didn't care. I am that much of a tight wad with budget and wasting food! :)