Background template

Monday, November 25, 2013

An overdue 'thank you'

On this Monday, the beginning of Thanksgiving week, I thought it would be appropriate for me to share a little bit about one of the things for which I am most thankful: my husband.

Brian has always been a wonderful and thoughtful husband, but over the past 7.5 months, I have really been impressed (and humbled) by how involved and helpful he has been as a dad. I suppose when you have twins, the dad doesn't have much of a choice because the extra set of hands is pretty much a necessity, but I'm sure there are plenty of deadbeat twin dads out there, so I still give him credit! ;)

Because I want him to know that I notice it all and because I want to shamelessly request that you all applaud him for his awesomeness, allow me to share a list of the things he does regularly:

- Every morning he gets one baby up and dressed (while I get the other). While I feed them, he loads up all of our bags into the car. Once I'm done feeding them, he burps them both and gets them loaded into their car seats and into the car so I can get dressed in peace (albeit quickly!).
- He chauffeurs us to/from work/daycare every day, leaving me to play mindlessly on my phone while he navigates traffic :)
- When we're out running errands, he almost always insists on carrying both car seats (no easy task these days).
- Every weeknight, he prepares the babies' bottles and their solid food for the next day. He even makes sure to color coordinate the containers for their respective meals so the teachers won't get them mixed up.
- He stays up with me at night when I pump before bed and even though I know he is exhausted, he still gets up and steam cleans the pump parts after I'm finished.
- Speaking of nighttime, I have mentioned this before, but Brian is the "sleep master" at our house. He puts the babies down to sleep (after I finish feeding them) for the night, and if one of them wakes up in the middle of the night, he is the first one to go check on them. (We do have an unspoken rule that if there are repeat wake ups by the same baby, we usually take turns going to check on him/her, but that doesn't happen often, so he usually does most of the late night check-ins!)

Not sure if I mentioned this, but back when the babies were still waking up to eat in the middle of the night, he got up with me every single time. I did not have to do a single middle-of-the-night feeding alone, which was a huge help since there were two diapers to change and two babies to burp.

- We normally don't ditch each other on the weekends because we both know how much work it is to juggle the twins alone. However, I have had 3 social outings in the past week that have required him to watch them solo, 2 of which occurred during their fussiest time of the day. Not only did he gladly agree to do so, but didn't complain or make me feel guilty even once. And did I mention that one of them was while the twins both had a stomach bug and were behaving like patients at an insane asylum? It is possible that he's a saint.

The list really could go on for days… he fills up my water bottle every night before bed, he feeds the dogs when we get home every evening, he makes pancakes and eggs for us every Saturday (or Sunday) morning while I feed the twins, he helps fold baby laundry, he gets their bath ready while I pick out their clothes for the next day, and he brings me leftover desserts from his office's social functions.

Most of all, even though having two infants to care for has made me even more stressed out/emotional/unattractive/certifiably insane than I already was, he puts up with me and loves me anyway.

I know I don't say it nearly enough, so allow me to do so publicly today: thank you, Brian, for being the best partner ever in this adventure called marriage and parenthood!


11 comments:

The Bird said...

Way to go, Brian! And way to go Team Joiner! You guys are a great example of marriage and family!

the blogivers said...

WTG, Brian! I have also been impressed with how involved he has been since C & C came along - you are lucky to have such a great baby daddy, and the babies are lucky to have both of you!

Courtney Squillante said...

Sweet post! And that's incredibly impressive! Way to go, Brian!

Amanda McD said...

Can I have Brian once the girls are here???

Erika said...

High five for Bri-Bri!! I love that last picture!!

NN Bartley said...

Can I have a Brian?

Natasha said...

Awwww... this post made me cry. Way to go Brian! Your dedication to your wife and children reminds me a lot of my husband. You are both really good men.

Katy said...

Dang. Brian, you win.

Brittnie said...

Awww way to go Brian! Y'all make a great team :)

Brittany Sciba said...

You got a good one! You and Brian are so blessed to have each other!

kayla Agan said...

Twin daddies are the greatest!! I'm not sure Lance even knows that not all dads get up for feedings, put babies down for bed and pretty much equally share in all of it!! I feel the same way about my hubby....I would be dying without him! :)