Background template

Monday, October 14, 2013

Weekend highlights

The last several weekends have been stressful for me. They've still been more enjoyable than the work week, don't get me wrong, but they were either over-programmed, plagued by fussiness/sleep issues, or just didn't go as planned. And it seems like rather than going into Monday morning feeling refreshed and ready to face a new week, I was more worn out than when the weekend began.

Then along came this past weekend. It was nothing monumental, but it was exactly what I needed to have my faith in weekends restored:

- Ok so this has nothing to do with the weekend, but Brian got a promotion at work last week! He is really excited about his new position and I'm proud of him. He joined this (wealth management) company 2.5 years ago with zero financial knowledge and has really taken initiative and learned the ropes there.

- The babies got their flu shots on Friday and (a) I survived taking them alone and (b) neither one of them cried- not even one tear! Brian graciously treated me to a DQ blizzard as a reward that night.

- Speaking of food, I am both embarrassed and proud to share that I consumed the following over the course of the weekend (in addition to that blizzard): pizza, a burrito from Freebirds (Brian actually chose this as his celebratory promotion dinner, ha!), a ginormous rice krispie treat with sprinkles, quesadillas, and a couple of cinnamon rolls. Let's please not even talk about the amount of candy corn I mindlessly ate out of our candy dish. But hey, I had a spinach salad for lunch on Sunday, so that pretty much cancels out everything else, right?

- The Aggies won (however ugly it might have been)! If we're being honest, I should tell you that I didn't actually stay awake to see the victory, because...

- I got 9.5 hours of sleep on Saturday night! We've had so many issues with the babies' sleep lately (ok, with Colby's sleep)* that I don't think I've gotten more than 4-5 hours at a time in the past several weeks. The babies went to sleep around 8:30 pm on Saturday and minus a few peeps early in the evening from Clara, they slept straight through until 7:45 am. Hallelujah, thank you, Jesus.

- We tried out a new church on Saturday evening. You might recall that we helped plant a new church a couple of years ago, and we continued to attend up until the babies were born. But after Colby and Clara came along, we felt like it would be best for us to find a church with other young families/people in our same life stage. After months of putting it off, we are now officially on the hunt.

The service was at 5 pm and even though childcare was offered, we were hesitant to drop the babies off in the nursery without trying out the church first. We moved in to the cry room once the sermon started just to be on the safe side, but thankfully they were both on their best behavior. I actually think all the lights and music must have been like an episode of Baby Einstein on steroids for them.

Anyway, I'll be sure to keep you posted on that front.

- We made some more baby food this weekend. Get excited, babies, because peas, peaches, and carrots are on this week's menu. 

- We also made this crockpot lasagna soup for dinner this week and I made another batch of these pumpkin oatmeal muffins to have as a snack for work this week. 

- Oh, and it rained pretty much the entire weekend. And even though I'm all for nice weather, I think you'll all agree that rainy days are usually a lot more relaxing.

So there you have it. I hope you all had wonderful weekends as well- also full of sleep and fattening food. 

*Stay tuned this week for a recap of our recent "cry it out" efforts with sleep-training the babies!

6 comments:

the blogivers said...

Glad you finally had a weekend redeem itself! You should have added a pic of the babies in their festive outfits, too!

Erika said...

What a great weekend!! I can't even manage to sleep 9.5 hours, so I'm pretty impressed about that. Also I'm jealous of all your yummy food. And Brian's promotion. High five, Brian!

Brittany Sciba said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend to me! Congrats to Brian!! :)

Natasha said...

That sounds like a really good weekend. Yay for lots of sleep and Brian's promotion!!!

Brittnie said...

Sounds like a great weekend! Congrats to Brian on his promotion!

Welch and Forbes said...

Welch and Forbes is the new england wealth management firm that has 175 years of existence in wealth management & asset administration has secured its lead by being stable and by staying consistent in providing excellent service among its clientele. Listed as one of the top 3 financial advisors, this firm is secured with its $4.0 billion asset and it continues to grow safely. Our stability and excellent service is a proof of our commitment to repay your trust in us through the past years. While it is true that we maintain the lead of being the most experienced wealth management firm in town, we also keep pace with your dynamic needs as time changes.