Background template

Monday, August 19, 2013

This post brought to you courtesy of the pacifier

Thank you to everyone for being so supportive in response to my whiney post last week. Other than another daycare teacher telling me that Colby was hungry after his bottles (but not Clara) and then the next day a different teacher telling me that Clara was hungry after her bottles (but not Colby), I grew a little less discouraged as the week developed. My supply was/is still lower than normal, however, so to say the stress has passed would be a lie!

In an effort to do my part, I am taking a supplement that has the lovely side effect of making me smell like maple syrup. I have noticed the smell but didn't think anyone else had until my mom asked this weekend if someone had been eating pancakes. Apparently the babies also smell like maple syrup as a result... oops. There are definitely worse odors I could emit as a side effect, though, so I'll totally take it.

I have also been trying to eat more foods with oats in them, and yet ironically I have yet to actually try eating oatmeal. Honestly I would stuff dry fists full of oats in my mouth if it would help, but I'm attempting to find a more creative (and tastier) alternative. I made a few of these bad boys and I'm going to pretend they aren't basically just an excuse to eat more dessert.

Speaking of things we prepared in the kitchen over the weekend, I thought I would also share what's on the dinner menu for the Joiners this week: Crockpot Cheesy Chicken & Rice. Oh, and by "prepared," I mean that we chopped up an onion and threw the ingredients in the crockpot. It was challenging, but somehow we rose to the occasion and made it happen.

In other news, we got an impromptu visit from my parents over the weekend! It was a much needed break from our routine and of course helpful to have a couple of extra sets of hands. Babies are totally my mom's "thing" and she is quite the entertainer, as evidenced by this video (that some of you already saw on Instagram):



That's the first time we actually heard Clara legitimately laugh, so it was pretty exciting. She tried her best to get the same out of Colby, but Mr. Grumpy Pants was not loving life this weekend so we didn't get any such footage for him. All of his fussing/drooling/nap-boycotting sure did wear him out, however, which resulted in this pitiful exchange between himself and a painting on our wall:


Sweet, tired baby boy.

Anyway, that's the latest in our world. Hope your week is off to a great start!

12 comments:

Brittnie said...

Her laugh is adorable. . . Baby laughs are the best!

Erika said...

Love the laugh video!! I think that since the motion of your mom lifting her forward is what prompted it, that's a sign that Clara's going to be a big fan of thrills like roller coasters and skydiving. That's my girl!!

the blogivers said...

Cute little pancakey babies! I hope the oat balls and the crockpot meal are delish - I would add that meal to my list of things to try, but I'm sure my child would think the rice or corn was "gucky," like most things we make!

Beth said...

I definitely want to know if that crockpot meal is a success!
I took the fenugreek seed for the month I was breast feeding, and there is no question about the lingering smell! But I have never been able to smell it on anyone else, so don't worry, your mom prob has an extra sensitive nose.
I love Clara's sweet laugh! And Colby's talking was pretty darn cute too. Mateo laughed for the first legitimate time yesterday - I was changing his diaper in the back of the car as we were leaving lunch. Weird kid.

Nikki Miller said...

I totally feel your pain with the supplements! I was taking over 30 pills a day! Good luck with your supply Mama I really found that drinking TONS of water helped mine and trying not to stress when I pumped (which hardly ever worked because pumping in a Middle School Closet is ALWAYS awkward.) Anyway, love the videos and precious laugh.

Brittany Sciba said...

Love the videos of your precious babies!

Shannon said...

How could anyone's week not be off to a great start after watching those precious babies?!

Nancie B. said...

I love that Colby is making noise just to stay awake. Or so it seems. And Clara's laugh is infectious. How could Colby resist? Silly twinkies.

Dana said...

They are so adorable! I had to take good ol' Fenugreek too... I think that's such a strange side effect. I'm glad you are feeling less discouraged, and I hope the supplement and extra yummy oats do the trick. That can be so frustrating. Prayers abound and thanks for sharing your sweet ones with us!

Natasha said...

Okay, both Clara and Colby's videos made me laugh. Clara's because her laugh is so funny and Colby's because he was like "I'm so tired I can barely stay awake but I. Must. Talk." Thanks for sharing them on your blog :)

Victoria Strong said...

Gotta love fenugreek! Yes, there are definitely worse things to smell like than maple syrup!

Have you tried steel-cut crock pot oatmeal? It's sooooo good!
1 C steel cut oats
2 C liquids (I use 2 C water and 2 C unsweetened vanilla almond milk, but you can play around with it)
1 Tbs cinnamon
1/3 C raisins
1 apple, peeled & chopped
Stevia to taste (I use 2 packets of Truvia)

Mix all ingredients in crock pot, and cook on low overnight, at least 6 hours.

Also, here are a couple of lactation cookie recipes:

http://www.drmomma.org/2010/08/major-milk-makin-lactation-cookies.html

http://www.momaroo.com/723074952/lactation-cookies-for-nursing-moms/

Or if you're super-lazy, you can buy pre-made cookies... MilkMakers and Cookies Then Milk are two great brands. You can order them online, or some maternity and nursing boutiques carry them.
http://www.cookiesthenmilk.com/
http://www.milkmakers.com/

Also? Your kids are freakin' adorable!

IdavD james said...

Do you have a little kid?? we have a amazing funny pacifier for cute babies, we have wide range of usual and unusual pacifiers. your little cuto baby will looks amazing but awful