Background template

Monday, July 15, 2013

What I'm eating this week

Not the world's most thrilling topic, I know, but (a) this makes for an easy blog post and (b) I actually think it's interesting to see what real people that I "know" cook at home (as opposed to robots) (or people with Pinterest-perfect lives) (which are basically the same as robots).

I think I've mentioned this before, but Brian and I are totally lame practical and frugal, so we make one meal for the week (usually prepared on Sundays) and eat it for dinner Monday-Thursday night. Advantages are that it's cost-effective, easy, and takes up less time - all of which are extra important now that Colby & Clara have joined the family. Disadvantages are that we eat the same meal 4 nights in a row, but honestly, that doesn't really bother us much, so it works out well.

SO here's what we are having for dinner this week:

Low Fat Baked Ziti with Spinach

This totally awesome picture is mine but the recipe comes from skinnytaste.com. You can also find it on my "Dinner Time" board on Pinterest.

If I was feeling a little more motivated, I would have gotten some bread and maybe a side salad to go with it. But I didn't. So basically we will pop 2 servings in the microwave when we get home from work each night and shovel them in our mouths while hoping that our free babysitter the Praise Baby DVD keeps the babies entertained for a few minutes.

We've had this meal before and really liked it. And please note that while we are most definitely not vegetarians, this would be a good meatless meal option if you're looking for one!

And this week I also got a little crazy and decided to forego my usual turkey sandwich and try out something new for lunch. (Yes, I take my lunch to work every day, and yes, I eat the same thing every day for a week. See above for my reasoning.)

Crispy Chicken Salad Wraps

Source: abitchinkitchen.blogspot.com via Amanda on Pinterest (pinned on my "Lunch ideas" board)

I'll be having this with a Gala apple (organic, because I am from Austin after all) and a bag of Baked Lay's (I got the variety pack because clearly I'm a fan of changing things up). Oh and I will also eat some type of dessert, which usually consists of whatever cookies we have at home and any candy that I can convince my co-workers to give me.

So there you have it. I'm sorry for not including my breakfast recipes, but if you can buy a box of peanut butter Multi-grain Cheerio's and alternate that with an english muffin and cottage cheese, then you're good to go.

Have a great (and tasty) week!

10 comments:

the blogivers said...

Interested to hear how you like the chicken salad wraps! And I might have to try the ziti to see if I can trick Davis into eating some spinach...

Brittnie said...

Yummm. . . I could totally get on the eat one dinner for the week train but Brandon not so much. He's good for two meals in a row but past that, no dice. Oh well. Both your dinner and lunch looks tasty!

Erika said...

I can handle the same lunch for a week, but not dinner. Also I have problems with figuring out portions, so if we made a big casserole with 10 servings, I can guarantee that I would accidentally eat at least 4 servings the first night and then be totally screwed for the rest of the week. But I'm impressed that this has worked for yall for so long!!

Courtney Squillante said...

Haha I will just say ditto to Erika's comment! That dinner looks yummy! Definitely going to try it soon!

bellehavendrive said...

The same meal for dinner all week is genius! Yummy ... That baked ziti looks amazing. Curse my low carb, egg quality-boosting diet. :( I didn't know there were peanut butter Cheerios!

Beth said...

Wish I could get Richard to eat the same thing for dinner multiple nights. To his credit, he often eats the same leftovers several times for lunch during the week. The wrap looks yummy so I also want an update. Did you make them ahead for the week?

Maggie @ A Bitchin Kitchen said...

Hope you enjoyed the chicken salad wraps! :)

They're one of my fave recipes from my blog!

kayla Agan said...

I've tried this before but my husband is such a big eater he has usually eaten half of our "weeks" dinner by the end of the evening! :)

Recently Roached said...

Oh that looks so good! Get in this preggo's belly! :)

Your twins are absolutely adorable! We were so hoping for twins, but guess it's not gonna happen this time. Next time! :)

Annie Gruetzmacher said...

I ditto Erika's comment as well! Do you or Brian never want seconds? I feel like y'all must be eating such little food! That, or, I need to learn portion control because clearly I'm eating too much!