Background template

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

On going back to work

As of today, I have officially been back at work for 1.5 weeks. Last week was a nice warm-up because my office closed early on Wednesday and we were off on Thursday for the 4th, so we were able to ease into the new routine somewhat.

I realize this is just the beginning, but this working mom thing is exhausting. Part of that is because I’m getting less sleep, and part of that is because having to be “on” all day at work and then coming home and taking care of two infants (along with the help of my trusty sidekick, of course) is just tiring. Regardless, we are all adjusting and thankfully finding a new normal is happening more quickly than I anticipated.

Daycare is going well so far. I cried when we dropped them off on their first day but surprisingly haven’t cried since! I still miss them and am anxious to see them at the end of the day, but knowing they are being well taken care of and making new “friends” helps. They are apparently napping and eating without any major issues which is about all you can ask for at this age.

A few other fun facts/observations from the transition:
- Pumping/storing milk/preparing 6 bottles/cleaning 6 bottles + pumping parts every day = almost like having another full-time job

- My feet are sore from wearing heels again. My arms are sore from carrying car seats, their daycare bag, my pump, my work bag, and my purse every day. My jaw is sore from clenching it all night worrying that the babies will wake up before it’s time for us to wake them up.* So right now I feel like an elderly person. A highly stressed elderly person.

- I wore pants that buttoned for the first time in 9+ months last week. Fortunately they did fit, but weren't nearly as comfortable as my maternity leave attire!

- I do not know how single parents do it, nor do I know how women with unhelpful husbands do it! I would surely have thrown in the towel already if I didn’t have as much help from Brian as I do… and cookies. He makes sure there is a steady supply of those available for consumption at all times and for that I am eternally grateful.

*We have gotten lucky a few nights and the babies have slept straight from 8:15 pm until we woke them up at 6:15 am. We have also gotten unlucky a few nights and they have woken up around 4 am, leaving just enough time for me to not go back to sleep until my 5:15 alarm. Special.

All in all, the transition has been easier than I expected. But like I said, I still miss the babies. A lot. And only getting to see them awake for 2 or so hours a day is hard. I will say, however, that at the end of a long work day, there is nothing better than seeing their faces when we pick them up at day care! I would have said "smiling faces," but they are typically in a daze at that point in the day, so they aren't so much smiling as they are looking tired and confused... but still cute, of course :)

Thanks to all of you for your support and encouragement, and thanks in advance for understanding if my blogging is sporadic for a while!

9 comments:

Nikki Miller said...

I am amazed by your transition back to work. I HATE pumping actually loath pumping and I am honestly more nervous and anxious about pumping at work with baby #2 than I am about labor. Anyway, I am sure you have it all worked out but here are my fun filled pumping at work tips:
1) Get a soft comfy bathrobe type shirt. I got a LARGE button down pj top from Target...it just helped me feel more covered up while pumping
2)Old sports bras with strategically cut holes make a great hands free pumping bra
3) store pumping parts in fridge between pumpings (I would leave mine in a little cooler bag and then put the whole bag in the fridge because we have a community fridge.) Then after my last pumping session I would put all my parts in the top rack of the dishwasher
4) Have LOTS of spare parts
5) Side-note - I found "mommy blogs" as something "to do" while pumping at work so while I hate pumping at work... it is what got me reading all your wonderful stories!
And I totally AGREE about the supportive husband and single parent thing... I just can not even imagine doing ALL of this alone!

the blogivers said...

Tired & Confused - that should be the sequel to Dazed & Confused, but about babies at daycare. Good idea?

You are doing a great job, and every time someone asks me how you are doing and I mention your pumping set-up, they are amazed! I know you are exhausted, but they won't be this little and this needy forever, so hopefully it will ease up before you know it. Keep up the good work, sis!

Brittnie said...

I really have no idea how exhausting this must be for you, but I will say that from this point of view you are doing an amazing job!!!

Oh and I was also going to suggest storing the pump parts in the fridge between pumping sessions, and then just washing 1x a day. Such a time saver (and mental health saver!)

bellehavendrive said...

You go girl! It's good to know you pump at work; that's what I'd like to do when I have my babies but didn't know if women did that or how it worked ...?

Erika said...

I am in awe of how you're getting it all done!! I'm glad it hasn't been as miserable as you'd imagined. And your feet won't hurt if you don't wear heels. Just a little tip I've picked up on over the years... ;)

Brittany Sciba said...

Pumping all day sounds miserable. Also, I totally agree about single parents (and military spouses). I have so much respect for them. I hope the transition continues to get better every day!

Natasha said...

I am amazed that you are pumping on top of everything else. You are a super-mom! And I'm also glad to hear that the adjustment is going okay for everyone. I will pray for more nights of sleeping until your alarm goes off, rather than just until 4am. I too, have an amazingly supportive husband and can't imagine what woman who have to do the majority of (or all of) the work alone do.

kayla Agan said...

I had NO idea you could just put the pump parts in the fridge! I will be starting that tomorrow morning! :)

The Bird said...

I can't say it enough,

YOU ROCK, Amanda!

Truly, truly, you do!