Background template

Friday, July 26, 2013

New mom must haves

I have read a number of "must have" posts about the essential items you need during pregnancy, your hospital stay, at home with a newborn, etc. Usually those posts are both helpful and practical, but also fairly similar to one another. So, my lucky readers, I have decided to share with you a brief list of some of the lesser known must-haves in surviving life with an infant (or two, as the case may be):

1. A crock pot. Eventually those delicious prepared meals from friends and family members will stop coming. Unfortunately, your free time will be in short supply, so do yourself a favor and load up your Pinterest board with slow cooker recipes. Particularly ones that require less than 5 ingredients. I'm a big fan of this one and this one, and plan to try this one and this one in the near future.

2. A hair cut. Sure, long hair is nice in theory. Until you have to wash it, brush it, dry it, fix it, or do anything with it that requires more than 5 minutes of your time. Also, the baby will very soon develop an interest in grabbing things and "things" = your hair. So do yourself a favor and go for the mom cut. You'll be glad you did.
I wish my ears were showing in the picture on the right... I feel like it looks like I'm wearing a (very boring) wig.

3. Under-the-eye concealer. I don't care if you've never had bags under your eyes a day in your life- you will need this unless you want the general public to think you are (a) suffering from a terminal illness or (b) a vampire. 

4. An iPhone. This is especially important if you plan on nursing. There are lots of moms out there who like to pass the time while nursing by staring intently at their babies and memorizing their every feature. Then there are moms that like to stalk their ex-boyfriend's brother's wife on facebook and/or read blogs about high order multiples to pass the time. I'll let you guess into which camp I fall. 

The iPhone will sometimes feel like your only connection to the outside world. And perhaps most importantly, it will be a million times more convenient than that fancy (ginormous) camera you bought for taking pictures of your precious little pumpkin(s). And, of course, taking pictures on the iPhone makes over-sharing posting your pictures to social media outlets for all the world to see a lot easier as well.

5. Other friends with babies. This one is key. And they need to have babies pretty close in age to yours, because I have discovered that moms forget pretty much everything fairly shortly after it happens. For example, if you ask your friend with a 10-month-old when her baby first rolled over/slept through the night/dropped down to two naps/etc., she will probably scratch her head and vaguely refer to a 2-3 month time span during which the activity in question might have occurred.

And do not even bother with friends whose babies are no longer babies (I'm looking at you, sis), because they will remember almost nothing and be of very little use to you. However, these friends do still serve a purpose because (a) they are living proof that you will survive the newborn days and (b) they are living proof that you will one day forget the really hard parts of the newborn days and not be traumatized by them forever.

So do yourself a favor and find some friends that are due around the same time you are so you can text each other incessantly with "important" questions like how many times a day their babies poop and lament together over the fact that your babies can't continue sleeping in Rock N' Plays until the age of 16.

So there you have it, folks! Any other less common new mom must-haves you care to share?

13 comments:

the blogivers said...

Really, if you had just tried a little harder to get pregnant within the same time frame as me the first time around, we wouldn't have had the problem of me not remembering things... am I right, or am I right?

But yes, I agree about all of these necessities!

Brittnie said...

Ha I am totally guilty of not remembering when x, y or z occurred with Clara. Guess it's good I blog about her milestones or else I would have no way of sharing her infancy/toddlerhood with her some day!

I am going to be vain here and say one thing that is a must is cable tv. :) Those early days where I did nothing but sit on the couch while nursed, and then sleep, and then Clara nursed (repeat 500 times) were made much more bearable by a variety of tv channels. :)

Kaimey said...

I like the list! And I like the haircut too. I actually thought the picture on the right was Allison before I read it so if you don't like it, you could always go with that.

the blogivers said...

Just read Kaimey's comment - I told you the shorter 'do makes you look more like me!

Erika said...

Oh I totally agree, I thought the picture on the right was Allison. Way to up your twinsieness level!!

Beth said...

I agree with Kaimey, also thought it was Allison. Is your hair falling out like crazy?? I'm surprised there's any left in my head with how much is all over the floor/shower drain/sheets/baby/clothes. I agree especially about the iPhone and Brittnie's addition of cable tv. Oh and def the friends with babies the same age! I had to disagree about the haircut - letting mine grow means I can easily pull it back. I'll add to the must have list: a grandma really close by who loves to help with the baby. Unfortunately, that's not so easy to pick up at the store :( A very helpful husband aka Brian is pretty darn good, too!

Annie Gruetzmacher said...

SO cute! Good list friend!

SweetFit said...

This is the best! Made my day. I have to keep my long hair to because a) I put it in a high bun EVERY single day b) My hair looks like a poodle when it is short so it doesn't fall under the "easier" category... only frightening.

Nikki Miller said...

Love the list and haircut!
I would like to add the Starbucks app on your iPhone / smart phone and easy access to a drive-thru Starbucks.
Life would with a newborn would be so much easier if there were more drive thrus

Natasha said...

I totally agree about the mom-cut, and the other mom friends. My mom friends who were going through the same things as me at the same time as me was totally helpful. I really appreciated the moms with older kids though because they reassured me that I would survive the current stresses!

And I found a good book and an extremely patient husband were also new mom necessities. We didn't (and still don't) have a TV so a book to read was useful for the boring times and my patient husband was useful for the extremely exhausted and impatient me times!

the blogivers said...

Third comment on this post: just wanted to tell you that I asked Davis who was in the pictures above: according to him, Mehmeh is on the left and Mommy is on the right...

Allison said...

These are all dead-on...especially #5. Even as the babies get older, #5 comes in handy!

Katie said...

This is the best! I love it! Have the crock pot, just got a haircut.....and I am definitely one of your friends that gives you the 2-3 month time span! I love the way you wrote it!!! It made me laugh so much! Because yes, I have definitely forgotten how hard the newborn stage is! Don't worry, I will remember soon enough and will be asking my fav twin mom for her best advice! :)